Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,810,319 Members 52,737 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] What are the files inside .android_secure?

Tip us?

AllGamer
Old
Retired Forum Moderator - OP
Thanks Meter 1,578

DONATE TO ME
Question [Q] What are the files inside .android_secure?

i seem to have over 1 GB of wasted space in that folder .android_secure

any 1 got a clue if those are safe to delete?

Donation is appreciated but not required, a cup of Coffee would suffice

Samsung i9000m: on CM10
Samsung Nexus S: on JB 4.2.2
Samsung Galaxy S II SGH-T989: on CM10
Samsung Galaxy NOTE SGH-i717r: on CM10
Samsung Galaxy NOTE 3 SM-N900W8: stock 4.3

zorak950
Old
Thanks Meter 19
I've never found that deleting anything on my SD card caused major problems for the phone, including .android_secure. Of course, that folder has never been 1 GB in size for me, either, so I suppose your results may vary. Really, though, all the system stuff is in the protected internal storage, so I doubt you'll do much worse than delete media files or whatever apps you've moved to the SD card, if that. I say give it a shot and see what happens. Of course, I take no responsibility for anything that does go wrong if you do. >.>

AllGamer
Old
Retired Forum Moderator - OP
Thanks Meter 1,578

DONATE TO ME
apparently those are Apps settings or something along the lines

i flashed SuperAOS and during the wiping process it showed it was deleting .android_secure

Donation is appreciated but not required, a cup of Coffee would suffice

Samsung i9000m: on CM10
Samsung Nexus S: on JB 4.2.2
Samsung Galaxy S II SGH-T989: on CM10
Samsung Galaxy NOTE SGH-i717r: on CM10
Samsung Galaxy NOTE 3 SM-N900W8: stock 4.3

mikebel3
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Default App2sd

This is where the operating system stores a portion of the apps. Anytime you install a new app and choose to install it to the SD card, it puts a large portion of the app into this folder. Deleting the contents would delete your apps.

fallenguru
Old
Thanks Meter 20
If you move an app to the SD card via the official (2.2+) method, this is where (most of it) goes.

dmestriner
Old
Thanks Meter 69
Hi,
I recently flashed a new ROM and had to do a full wipe including factory reset. I copied some apps to SD, and indeed I see that the .android_secure folder has a lot in it, taking up space. I installed all apps again from market on the new ROM install, and they all say they can be copied to SD again, so they don't take information from the previously installed bits on the SD card. Is it safe to delete everything in this folder?

EDIT: I have an HTC Hero, but only noticed when I posted this that this is a Samsung Nexus S thread. I'm guessing that this is not that big a deal?

jj14
Old
Thanks Meter 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebel3 View Post
This is where the operating system stores a portion of the apps. Anytime you install a new app and choose to install it to the SD card, it puts a large portion of the app into this folder. Deleting the contents would delete your apps.
sorry to revive this thread after so long, but does this folder also store the app data? In other words, for games like plants vs zombies or angry birds etc, if I copy the corresponding files over to my new phone (after installing PVZ/AB on the new phone of course), does it also copy over my progress?

(recently swapped my EVO 4G to EVO 3D and trying to figure out how to copy the game progress over - esp for PVZ)

suksit
Old
Thanks Meter 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj14 View Post
(recently swapped my EVO 4G to EVO 3D and trying to figure out how to copy the game progress over - esp for PVZ)
Titanium Backup?

jj14
Old
Thanks Meter 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by suksit View Post
Titanium Backup?
Isn't that only for rooted phones?