Android Lollipop Lands for the Sony Xperia Z Ultra

The undisputed king of the beasts–at least in Sony’s current stable,is the … more

Android 5.0 Lollipop in 3D–EVO 3D, That Is!

It is that time of the year once again. Flowers bloom (or snow falls, depending on which … more

Gaming Console with Lollipop? Ouya Gets an Android TV Port

Android is a very flexible platform, and it can be used on a large variety of … more

Android App Review: Manage Your Connections Automagically – XDA TV

Material Design is all the buzz in the Android world right now. … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Funny smudge on screen?

OP Kayatoast

5th January 2011, 07:22 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1

22 posts
I used my Nexus S without a screen protector, and there was one day when I was using the phone heavily, this part of the screen felt a little rough to the touch when I was swiping it.

Now when I look at the screen I see these faint track marks on the screen that aren't scratches, but it's like something smudged the screen. I have wiped it with microfibre cloth (My Oakleys pouch) but I can't remove this smudge.

It's barely visible when the screen is on but you can see it if the screen is off.

Does anybody else have this problem? Is it a scratch or can I wash this off somehow?
5th January 2011, 07:24 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 45

933 posts
I have similar spots... it's most likely the oleophobic coating wore off in that area. Not sure how it happens, but it seems to be ****ty coating.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayatoast

I used my Nexus S without a screen protector, and there was one day when I was using the phone heavily, this part of the screen felt a little rough to the touch when I was swiping it.

Now when I look at the screen I see these faint track marks on the screen that aren't scratches, but it's like something smudged the screen. I have wiped it with microfibre cloth (My Oakleys pouch) but I can't remove this smudge.

It's barely visible when the screen is on but you can see it if the screen is off.

Does anybody else have this problem? Is it a scratch or can I wash this off somehow?

5th January 2011, 07:50 AM   |  #3  
Long Island, NY
Thanks Meter: 244

1,391 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinan

I have similar spots... it's most likely the oleophobic coating wore off in that area. Not sure how it happens, but it seems to be ****ty coating.

I also have one such small spot that is only visible when the screen is off, and only visible at a certain angle with a lot of light. It's been there since I got the phone. It actually looks like it's under the glass, but I can't tell for sure. I can't feel it. I've been keeping an eye on it and I'll utilize Best Buy's protection plan if it gets worse. Im glad I'm not the only one, but this is a little disappointing.
Last edited by nyijedi; 5th January 2011 at 07:56 AM.
5th January 2011, 09:01 AM   |  #4  
Long Island, NY
Thanks Meter: 355

1,248 posts
More
It's problably the oleophobic coating like others said. I have the same thing on mine, and have been thinking of exchanging it because of it. But I think I might as well keep it, as this phone has no other problems, and I'm sure it will probably wear off any phone I get with due time.

Take a paper towel and lightly go over that area. I bet it comes clean so you can't see it anymore until you wipe your oily fingers in that spot again. It seems oils like to get stuck in those spots unless you clean it with something that absorbs oils, and isn't reused over and over.
5th January 2011, 01:12 PM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member

22 posts
Thanks for the replies guys. Yeah I am hesitant to do a return as my phone works great with none of the issues faced by others.
I'll try cleaning it as suggested. Thanks!

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk
5th January 2011, 02:27 PM   |  #6  
Flag Kalmar
Thanks Meter: 3

87 posts
I had the smudges that Kayatoast talked about. I just wiped it off with a paper towel and it disappeared. I guess we must clean it with something that absorbs oil.

My smudges probably came from the hand lotion...
5th January 2011, 03:29 PM   |  #7  
Long Island, NY
Thanks Meter: 244

1,391 posts
I've also decided not to return mine because I don't want to get a replacement phone with a worse problem.

As for wiping it off, this may work for others in some situations, but the spot on mine is definitely a blemish/defect. Cleaning it has zero effect.
5th January 2011, 07:11 PM   |  #8  
OP Junior Member

22 posts
I used iklear to clean the screen then wiped it down with a microfibre cloth. That took care of the smudge. Then I slapped a screen protector on it and that took care of the smudge..now to get rid of those air bubbles..lol.

I recommend this brand: http://www.protectionfilms24.com/pro...odell=4603&go=

Arrived in 2 days, made by 3M and doesn't affect my screen clarity at all.
22nd January 2011, 04:07 AM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 54

884 posts
I just realized the same type of smudge on mine today. It's not on top of the screen, but seems like it's under it. Like others, I didn't want to exchange it because everything else works fine plus I'm out of my 30 day period with no exchange.

If I remember, I'm probably going to do a warranty exchange before it ends.
22nd January 2011, 01:53 PM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 0

11 posts
When I was cleaning my screen to put on my cheap eBay screen protector, I noticed the same smudge in the middle of my screen. No amount of cleaning removed it completely. On went the screen protector, and "Voila", smudge disappeared .

BTW, the eBay screen protector is very close to screen feel as the naked screen and is completely clear. Free with the $3.99 shipped silicone case... gotta love eBay!!!

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread