Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,761 Members 42,482 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Google Wallet will only be on Sprint Nexus at Launch?

Tip us?

Arcadia310
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 101
Default Google Wallet will only be on Sprint Nexus at Launch?

This totally defeats the notion that buying a Nexus will get you all the latest and greatest features first. I have a T-Mobile Nexus S and I wouldn't be surprised if it takes 5 months for it to get Google Wallet, despite the technology being exactly the same. Why does Google do this? I was so excited about using NFC too.

Sidekick LX > HTC Espresso > Samsung Galaxy S I9000 > HTC Vision > HTC Glacier

meetagrawal
Old
Thanks Meter 1
1. NFC is a drain on the battery, so I won't be using it anytime soon.

2. I'm not really sure why Sprint Nexus S gets it first. Why does Google do stuff like this? Both of the models are NFC enabled. There shouldn't be any reason to limit it like that. I guess it's their MO.

Award Tour
Old
Thanks Meter 86
Sprint is a official partner. MasterCard and citi are other partners. That's why. If Google wallet gains traction you'll see it elsewhere.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

krohnjw
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 527
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcadia310 View Post
This totally defeats the notion that buying a Nexus will get you all the latest and greatest features first. I have a T-Mobile Nexus S and I wouldn't be surprised if it takes 5 months for it to get Google Wallet, despite the technology being exactly the same. Why does Google do this? I was so excited about using NFC too.
Quote:
The GSM version of the Samsung Nexus S may receive access to the just-announced Google Wallet service, but Google will work with T-Mobile to bring the service to market for that phone, according to Google VP of Payments Osama Bedier. Mr. Bedier ruled out circumventing carriers like T-Mobile in bringing Google Wallet - and compatible phones - to market. The GSM Nexus S has the same NFC chip required for Google Wallet as the Nexus S 4G that the service is being trialled with today. Google expressed optimism that more carriers would support Google Wallet soon, and that many more phones would include the necessary NFC chip going forward.

from Google
Voice it to T-Mo if you want it to get done. It seems like Google does, they need to get T-Mobile on board though.

BrianDigital
Old
Thanks Meter 309

DONATE TO ME
Why does a Telecom have tobe. Involved

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using XDA App

rant
Old
Thanks Meter 5
T-Mobile is a member of ISIS, along with AT&T and Verizon, which is a competing mobile payment platform to Google Wallet. I would not be surprised if Google Wallet works on ALL Nexus S phones, they may just not be able to announce it on T-Mobile, either because of T-Mobile's involvement with ISIS, or because Sprint is a partner in Google Wallet. Either way, sounds more like marketing to me than a technology limit.

cconrado
Old
Thanks Meter 0
couldnt someone just get the app and share it with the rest of us?

p00kienrayray
Old
Thanks Meter 30
im sure the tmo-Isis partnership has something to do with it. but i also bet that all nexus phones will get it eventually, but since sprint/google wallet is official, theyre not gonna announce anything else.

BrianDigital
Old
Thanks Meter 309

DONATE TO ME
Odd that Google checkout was not an option to use for paying. My debt and credit card are visa

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using XDA App

vansmack
Old
Thanks Meter 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianDigital View Post
Odd that Google checkout was not an option to use for paying. My debt and credit card are visa

That's what the prepaid Google card is for. I suspect it will be reloadable with that Visa you have...