Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,304 Members 41,131 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Help] Bricked my Nexus what's next? :(

Tip us?

BaghiXDA
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 21
Default [Help] Bricked my Nexus what's next? :(

Hi, this situation is kind of strange and I hope it's just the battery and not the whole goddamn phone.

What I'm dealing with at the moment is:
  • The phone doesn't boot
  • When plugged onto charger or USB cable it boots but stuck at Google logo after a blink and stays there. Also, Home, Back and other buttons are lighten.
  • When "forcefully" put into fastboot mode, e.g. after plugging it onto USB and instantly pressing Vol Up + Power it stuck there as well, volume rocker no more response neither does the power button. Also, I notice there are no commands at the end like "USB int" etc we see normally.
  • Fastboot or ADB returns no device found

Please help. I personally believe it could be due to battery, what do you guys think?

Thank you.

ej8989
Old
Thanks Meter 410
As long as you can see the google logo, your device is not bricked. GIve more useful information; like your computer operating system, the last thing you did before this happened, etc.
PHONE
Model: Nexus 5 D820 32GB Black
ROM: Mahdi 2.7 [4.4.4]
Boot Animation: ParanoidAndroid
Display Tweak: Nexus Display Control
Root / Unbrick / Return to stock: Wug's Nexus Root Toolkit

OTHER DEVICES
Nexus S i9023, CM11, Dead
Galaxy Ace Plus S7500, Speedmod Kitkat 4.4.2

BaghiXDA
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by ej8989 View Post
As long as you can see the google logo, your device is not bricked. GIve more useful information; like your computer operating system, the last thing you did before this happened, etc.
Thanks. My OS is Windows 8.1 Update 1. The last thing was to install UPDATE-SuperSU to root so that I can install ROM Manager to update Recovery but the installation was aborted so I attempt to flash it via Fastboot with success. Then, wanted to install SlimKat but it couldn't let me mount USB storage so that I can put the .zip file. I, then stupidly click on install via ADB but didn't know how to go back so I pulled the battery and powered up; used ADP push command to transfer said the file, but again for some reason I had to pull the battery and since then I am in above position.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Setting.Out
Old
Thanks Meter 1114
Put the device in bootloader and plug it into the computer, be patient, my phone is rather slow to get detected sometimes.. (Up to 30 min.) Check your drivers on the computer, try rebooting the boot loader from just pressing the power button (while in boot loader mode)..

If all else fails, read up on Wugs NRTK page and about ODIN...

Sent from my Nexus S using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
device: i9023 Nexus S
rom: Modded and Fast
kernel: MARMITE (My lid is licked)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
CyanAOSP KitKat (4.4.x) [port]
The War Against Obscurity
(ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK)

Follow this link to see how your rom compares!!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Click "thanks" for developers and anyone that helps you!!

BaghiXDA
Old
(Last edited by BaghiXDA; 22nd April 2014 at 09:01 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Setting.Out View Post
Put the device in bootloader and plug it into the computer, be patient, my phone is rather slow to get detected sometimes.. (Up to 30 min.) Check your drivers on the computer, try rebooting the boot loader from just pressing the power button (while in boot loader mode)..

If all else fails, read up on Wugs NRTK page and about ODIN...

Sent from my Nexus S using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Hi, device doesn't go into bootloader without plugging it to computer (I've to press required buttons BEFORE plugging OTG cable). And when it boots in fastboot mode it doesn't let me press any button either. I kept it plugged in for sometime as well when it when it was at Google logo; will try to do the same while in fastboot mode too and let you know. As for drivers, same computer was used before when it was working and it detected just fine immediately (gave me a pain to find the right drivers though - PDANet was a life saver).

EDIT:
I should mention that I broke the OS before this happened by formatting /system folder and wiping other data from CWM recovery - I think, I also rebooted it without flashing the ROM as well.

Setting.Out
Old
(Last edited by Setting.Out; 22nd April 2014 at 10:20 AM.)
Thanks Meter 1114
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaghiXDA View Post
Hi, device doesn't go into bootloader without plugging it to computer (I've to press required buttons BEFORE plugging OTG cable). And when it boots in fastboot mode it doesn't let me press any button either. I kept it plugged in for sometime as well when it when it was at Google logo; will try to do the same while in fastboot mode too and let you know. As for drivers, same computer was used before when it was working and it detected just fine immediately (gave me a pain to find the right drivers though - PDANet was a life saver).

EDIT:
I should mention that I broke the OS before this happened by formatting /system folder and wiping other data from CWM recovery - I think, I also rebooted it without flashing the ROM as well.
I recently had to update my drivers on my computer.. after it did an update, my phone wasn't recognized..

Try Wugs Nexus Root Toolkit,.. use the options for "bricked".. do this from the bootloader screen (power/volume +)...

I don't have experience with ODIN, so you'll need to read that forum/threads...
device: i9023 Nexus S
rom: Modded and Fast
kernel: MARMITE (My lid is licked)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
CyanAOSP KitKat (4.4.x) [port]
The War Against Obscurity
(ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK)

Follow this link to see how your rom compares!!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Click "thanks" for developers and anyone that helps you!!

BaghiXDA
Old
(Last edited by BaghiXDA; 22nd April 2014 at 08:50 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Setting.Out View Post
I recently had to update my drivers on my computer.. after it did an update, my phone wasn't recognized..

Try Wugs Nexus Root Toolkit,.. use the options for "bricked".. do this from the bootloader screen (power/volume +)...

I don't have experience with ODIN, so you'll need to read that forum/threads...
The problem is, even the Toolkit doesn't recognize the device no matter what. Even the keys for ODIN don't work, aren't they Home+VOL+ and Power?

EDIT1:
Kept plugged in for little longer as suggested but it heats up (it's too hot here) so I plugged out. Going to be running it off of Linux and lets see how it goes.

EDIT2:
Tried Adam's UnBrickable method on Linux and even that couldn't find device. But that was to be expected since Adam clearly mentioned in his post that this tool isn't for those who see anything on their screen.

BaghiXDA
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 21
Whelp! Currently I can only see I:\ drive in device manager and that's all under portable devices and that's all. I see the same even in BIOS boot options, it's listed as "Google".

BaghiXDA
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 21
Guess need to close this thread now.