5,606,722 Members 37,632 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

How can I tell if my NS is unlocked or not?

Tip us?

SkOrPn
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 397

DONATE TO ME
Default How can I tell if my NS is unlocked or not?

Hello everyone.

I just pulled the trigger on a Nexus 7 32GB and I want to sell my LNIB Nexus S i9020T to help pay for the N7. I have its original box with all original accessories, including the original screen protectors still on the screen. This phone was never activated, nor was the T-Mobile card ever taken out of the box. So, I have no clue if this means it is unlocked or locked to T-Mobile. I assume this also means the ESN is considered clean, or is that IMEI?

I would like to put it on eBay as "New Other" LNIB, in Mint condition. But I noticed other sellers are advertising theirs as "Unlocked". Is there a way I can tell if this is unlocked also? Or can I unlock this easily? Is it worth more as unlocked? I have no history on this device as it was purchased by my sister in law (ex) brand new, and she was going to give it to her son Jason last year but instead he got in serious trouble (with the law) and she decided he was not deserving of it anymore. So she gave it to me as payment for working on her computer. I was the first one to ever open the box and play around with it. However, I simply do not need another mobile device laying around here unused.

So, how would you list this if you had it for sale? unlocked or t-mobile only? How do I know the ESN is clean? just because the phone never had a sim card inserted? I never sold a Android device before, so kinda worried that I might get the description wrong if I list it as unlocked with clean esn (or is it IMEI?). Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks
SkOrPn

unBricked 6 times via "The SkOrPn JIG"
"The SkOrPn Motorola & Kindle Fire Factory Cable"

High Quality is never an accident.
It is always the result of excellent intention, intelligent direction, sincere effort and skillful execution.
It represents the wisest choice of many alternatives! ~ William A. Foster ~ Edited by ME!

Ted Mosby
Old
Thanks Meter 49
Pick up SIM card from another carrier and see, that's the simplest way to find out. If u get message for network unlock code than it's locked on T-Mo. Originally, i9023 or i9020 were sold unlocked, but i am not so sure about i9020A or i9020T versions (AT&T and T-Mo).
The Following User Says Thank You to Ted Mosby For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

SkOrPn
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 397

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Mosby View Post
Pick up SIM card from another carrier and see, that's the simplest way to find out. If u get message for network unlock code than it's locked on T-Mo. Originally, i9023 or i9020 were sold unlocked, but i am not so sure about i9020A or i9020T versions (AT&T and T-Mo).
Very good idea. Maybe I can try my current AT&T sim card from my other phone? By the way, I just noticed that when the device boots, the boot screen shows a "Lock" under the word Google. The lock is an icon and is in the Unlocked position. I just now noticed it, lol... I wonder if that means what I think it means... I will still try the sim card though. Thanks

It is always the result of excellent intention, intelligent direction, sincere effort and skillful execution.
It represents the wisest choice of many alternatives! ~ William A. Foster ~ Edited by ME!

polobunny
Old
Thanks Meter 2136
All Nexus S are unlocked. HOWEVER, they are frequency limited (tri-band vs Galaxy Nexus penta-band).
This means that on some carriers, depending the frequency they use, you might not get 3G or signal at all if they don't operate a 2G service.

The lock you see when booting just means it's fastboot unlocked, so you can flash custom recoveries, roms and so on. Nothing to do with the network.
Please press THANKS if someone helps you!

My current configuration:

Device: Samsung Galaxy S3 SGH-i747M
ROM: cm-11-20140424-NIGHTLY-d2lte
Kernel: Stock
Baseband: I747MVLUEMF1
Bootloader: I747MVLDMF1
Governor: Interactive

Older device: Nexus S i9020A
The Following User Says Thank You to polobunny For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Nomedias
Old
Thanks Meter 29
Default Re: How can I tell if my NS is unlocked or not?

IMEI would be correct in this case. ESN is generally only used with non-GSM phones (Sprint, etc), AFAIK.
Nokia 5160, Nokia 7160, Nokia 6340, SE T616, SE T637, SE Z520a, Cingular 8125, SE W350i, HTC Touch Cruise, Samsung Vibrant S, Samsung Nexus SMy Phone History
The Following User Says Thank You to Nomedias For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

SkOrPn
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 397

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by polobunny View Post
All Nexus S are unlocked. HOWEVER, they are frequency limited (tri-band vs Galaxy Nexus penta-band).
This means that on some carriers, depending the frequency they use, you might not get 3G or signal at all if they don't operate a 2G service.

The lock you see when booting just means it's fastboot unlocked, so you can flash custom recoveries, roms and so on. Nothing to do with the network.
Ah, thanks for the clarification on that icon. OK, so it seems the word "Unlocked" is just there to let people know it may or may not work in 3G on there own network due to frequency differences. Gotcha.

Now I feel confident I can list this with an accurate description. Thank you!

SkOrPn
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 397

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomedias View Post
IMEI would be correct in this case. ESN is generally only used with non-GSM phones (Sprint, etc), AFAIK.
Thanks for the clarification on that. Yeah, there is a clear IMEI sticker on the box and a IMEI sticker under the battery. I assume since this phone has never had a sim inserted the IMEI on this device can be used anywhere legally, right?

Nomedias
Old
Thanks Meter 29
Default Re: How can I tell if my NS is unlocked or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkOrPn View Post
Thanks for the clarification on that. Yeah, there is a clear IMEI sticker on the box and a IMEI sticker under the battery. I assume since this phone has never had a sim inserted the IMEI on this device can be used anywhere legally, right?
To my knowledge, inserting a sim into a carrier unlocked phone doesn't suddenly lock it (legally, contractually or via software).
Nokia 5160, Nokia 7160, Nokia 6340, SE T616, SE T637, SE Z520a, Cingular 8125, SE W350i, HTC Touch Cruise, Samsung Vibrant S, Samsung Nexus SMy Phone History

SkOrPn
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 397

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomedias View Post
To my knowledge, inserting a sim into a carrier unlocked phone doesn't suddenly lock it (legally, contractually or via software).
That's what I thought to. However, I am just making sure because, if I sold this, and then found out the buyer could not use it I would be liable for making it right (I hate refunding). My ratings at eBay is still a perfect 5.0 out of 5.0 at 100% positive feedback and I do not want to give someone any reason what so ever to give me negative feedback of any kind. lol I guess I am being overly cautious.

Thanks Nomedias