XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

How do I Unbrick? Small twist

Tip us?

eugene188
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default How do I Unbrick? Small twist

Ok so here is the issue. My Nexus S i9020a has a power button that is no longer working. Whenever I put the battery in, it automatically boots up, to reboot I take the battery out and slide back in. I want to bring it back for warranty since my bro got the warranty until 2014 or so. I had previously had a couple of custom ROMs on it. I wanted to flash stock ROM and lock the bootloader.

When I boot into recovery (hold up while I put the battery in), I can't do anything. Even the volume up/down doesn't do anything, and of course pressing the power button doesn't select anything. So I got ROM Manager and found a copy of the stock rom. ROM Manager was supposed to install the rom from the .zip file, which it sort of did. It wiped everything and installed. I left it on while I went to do something. When I came back, the phone is stuck in the bootup animation.

If I was able to do anything in recovery I would just reflash a different ROM and go again.

I have watched some videos, and tried the Oneclick Unbrick, but doesn't work. I've read some other threads here that talked about getting Linux on a USB, or other mod. But I am trying not to go that route, as it seems pretty complicated.

When the phone is in the bootup animation and I connect it to the computer, I hear the sound that Win7 detects new hardware. If I am in the bootloader Win7 does not play any of that sounds.

I remember using adb and I still have the files on my computer from when I unlocked and rooted.

Not sure what should I do now?

eugene188
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
also, all of my soft button lights are on during the boot animation. read in one of the threads that different lights on mean different modes. so not sure if this means anything.

dddbbb
Old
Thanks Meter 0
hi, I am afraid the bad functioning of power button is responsible of all of these problems,
probably you can send it for warranty as is now

---------- Post added at 12:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:10 PM ----------

have you tried already the linux app UnBrickable Resurrector ?
maybe you would be able to install the stock rom via fastboot

ej8989
Old
Thanks Meter 379
Possible fix: Remove all drivers and reinstall via Nexus root toolkit. Go to adb and flash TWRP, or CWM Touch Recovery (make sure it's touch-enabled), then flash a new rom.
Permanent fix: As far as I can remember (I also had this issue about 6 months ago) samsung will still recognize the warranty even when your bootloader is unlocked, at least in my place. The issue you're returning with is a hardware issue, not a software issue. So tell them to just replace the power button and you'll do the rest. As long as the samsung warranty sticker on top of the screw is in-tact, you're good to go. Again, this is my experience in a samsung service center near my place. I don't know how they deal with things elsewhere.
PHONE
Model: Nexus 5 D820 32GB Black
ROM: SlimKat 4.x Weekly [4.4.2]
Boot Animation: ParanoidAndroid 4.0

AIO Toolkit: Wug's Nexus Root Toolkit
Display Tweak: Nexus Display Control

OTHER DEVICES
Nexus S i9023, CM11, Hardbricked
Galaxy Ace Plus S7500, Pure Galaxy 1.0
The Following User Says Thank You to ej8989 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

dddbbb
Old
Thanks Meter 0
if this can help, I read in forums that also in Italy samsung support fixes nexus s in warranty even with unlocked bootloader, this is not a direct experience though

eugene188
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
So I have tried the wugfresh Nexus Root Toolkit and tried installing different drivers. None of them can detect the phone when it is in the bootloader, windows only makes a sound when the phone is trying to boot up.

I've tried the "Flash Stock + Unroot" button but as soon as it tries checking the fastboot it cannot detect anything. The mini description says all it needs it to have the phone in the bootloader, but I can't get it to do anything else.

I have tried the guide at DroidViews (can't post links yet), but in the command prompt, fastboot just keeps waiting for the device again, windows does not detect the phone unless it starts to boot and enters the bootloop.

what do I do now?

ej8989
Old
Thanks Meter 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by eugene188 View Post
So I have tried the wugfresh Nexus Root Toolkit and tried installing different drivers. None of them can detect the phone when it is in the bootloader, windows only makes a sound when the phone is trying to boot up.

I've tried the "Flash Stock + Unroot" button but as soon as it tries checking the fastboot it cannot detect anything. The mini description says all it needs it to have the phone in the bootloader, but I can't get it to do anything else.

I have tried the guide at DroidViews (can't post links yet), but in the command prompt, fastboot just keeps waiting for the device again, windows does not detect the phone unless it starts to boot and enters the bootloop.

what do I do now?
Remove all android/samsung drivers and install PDAnet drivers. PDAnet detects the phone even on bootloader.
PHONE
Model: Nexus 5 D820 32GB Black
ROM: SlimKat 4.x Weekly [4.4.2]
Boot Animation: ParanoidAndroid 4.0

AIO Toolkit: Wug's Nexus Root Toolkit
Display Tweak: Nexus Display Control

OTHER DEVICES
Nexus S i9023, CM11, Hardbricked
Galaxy Ace Plus S7500, Pure Galaxy 1.0

eugene188
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ej8989 View Post
Remove all android/samsung drivers and install PDAnet drivers. PDAnet detects the phone even on bootloader.
I just tried the PDAnet, I choose the Samsung drivers, then once it pops up with the screen to ask me to connect the phone then I'm stuck. Whether I put the battery in and let it bootloop or hold vol+ and put the battery in, it doesn't get past the screen. Only thing I could do was "skip USB" which still installed PDAnet but possibly without USB support and just bluetooth support.

I even tried it on my brother's laptop which is still in a relatively clean OEM state but the got stuck at the same place.