Got myself all flashed up and powered off the phone.
Held power until it started to boot, and when I went to put it down the USB cable snagged and yanked the phone down and the battery out.
The handset now appears to be a brick, no sign of life of any kind. Doesn't matter whether USB and/or battery is inserted.
I'm a little disappointed I was able to brick the phone this way. If this had happened while flashing a radio image or something I'd understand completely, but I was just turning it on. Anyone have any idea what happened and how it might possibly be recovered?