[Q] i9023 bricked. Secure: on (S-ON), radio XXXXX

OP Androyed

13th April 2012, 01:23 PM   |  #21  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 104

642 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saranyan

Try installing factory images from fastboot, You dont need the screen for that just get it to download mode.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1572307

Well, that would be the normal thing to do after resurrecting with AdamOutler's tool. But unfortunately I can't because of the i9020XXXXX baseband version. It prevents me from flashing bootloader.img or radio.img. When I try, it just says "failed to write". I tried to remove the radio partition but that doesn't work either...
13th April 2012, 01:41 PM   |  #22  
Flag Sydney
Thanks Meter: 469

1,108 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Androyed

Well, that would be the normal thing to do after resurrecting with AdamOutler's tool. But unfortunately I can't because of the i9020XXXXX baseband version. It prevents me from flashing bootloader.img or radio.img. When I try, it just says "failed to write". I tried to remove the radio partition but that doesn't work either...

Have you tried this command:

fastboot -w update image-********.zip

There are files within another folder in that .zip, it is not the bootloader or radio.img. It MAY work, although i do doubt it.

Some background reading, which asks more than it answers, can be found here.
13th April 2012, 03:11 PM   |  #23  
Flag Montreal
Thanks Meter: 2,480

6,180 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Androyed

You don't need a working radio to flash anything, you know. :S

Since you got adb working, you should be able to use fastboot to do all your stuff.

Use a flashlight to shine the screen and see what's going on if you can't see anything.

Boot into fastboot mode (VOL+ and PWR), make sure your phone is unlocked (command is: fastboot oem unlock). Unlock it if it's not.

Then flash CWM using fastboot, command being: fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
Where recovery.img is the name of your recovery. Latest recovery can be found here:
http://download.clockworkmod.com/rec...2.0-crespo.img

After that, power down and reboot in recovery (VOL+ and PWR, then select recovery. Scroll to Mounts and Storage then mount USB storage. Your computer should popup a new drive, if not, disconnect your phone and connect it again.

Once that new drive popups up, transfer any compatible ROM of your choice and flash it using CWM. Tada!

Edit: Also, flash a working radio. KF1 will do.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/atta...1&d=1317509083
The Following User Says Thank You to polobunny For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th April 2012, 03:35 PM   |  #24  
Flag Sydney

1,108 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by polobunny

You don't need a working radio to flash anything, you know. :S

Since you got adb working, you should be able to use fastboot to do all your stuff.

Use a flashlight to shine the screen and see what's going on if you can't see anything.

Boot into fastboot mode (VOL+ and PWR), make sure your phone is unlocked (command is: fastboot oem unlock). Unlock it if it's not.

Then flash CWM using fastboot, command being: fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
Where recovery.img is the name of your recovery. Latest recovery can be found here:
http://download.clockworkmod.com/rec...2.0-crespo.img

After that, power down and reboot in recovery (VOL+ and PWR, then select recovery. Scroll to Mounts and Storage then mount USB storage. Your computer should popup a new drive, if not, disconnect your phone and connect it again.

Once that new drive popups up, transfer any compatible ROM of your choice and flash it using CWM. Tada!

http://forum.xda-developers.com/atta...1&d=1317509083

Go through that post i linked to above. The information i gathered means, to me, that the radio is not simply a driver for cell network hardware and transmission. I think that the radio might mean more than this, something the rest of the phone relies on to function normally, even without signal. It probably has some solid ties to fastboot, as seen in not allowing fastboot to flash a bootloader.

Or I could be crazy, you never know
13th April 2012, 03:55 PM   |  #25  
Flag Montreal

6,180 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbb

Go through that post i linked to above. The information i gathered means, to me, that the radio is not simply a driver for cell network hardware and transmission. I think that the radio might mean more than this, something the rest of the phone relies on to function normally, even without signal. It probably has some solid ties to fastboot, as seen in not allowing fastboot to flash a bootloader.

Or I could be crazy, you never know

Interesting discussion but I've been radio-less for a few days once after a bad radio flash and during that time I flashed roms without any issue, heck I update my CWM recovery for TWRP back then. My baseband was also showing "Unknown". Never caused me any problem other than the fact I couldn't get a cellphone signal. That makes it hard to believe it's an essential part of the boot process.

All in all, it seems irrelevant to the current discussion. *shrugs*
The Following User Says Thank You to polobunny For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th April 2012, 04:06 PM   |  #26  
Flag Sydney

1,108 posts
More
Quote:

Interesting discussion but I've been radio-less for a few days once after a bad radio flash and during that time I flashed roms without any issue, heck I update my CWM recovery for TWRP back then. My baseband was also showing "Unknown". Never caused me any problem other than the fact I couldn't get a cellphone signal. That makes it hard to believe it's an essential part of the boot process.

All in all, it seems irrelevant to the current discussion. *shrugs*

Interesting. Will keep this in mind the next time i go drifting off thinking about this stuff, thanks. Just a question though, was it a corrupted flash or flashing a non-compatible radio (NS4G -> i9020T, i9020A -> i9020T or something)?

Not sure if Androyd has tried fastboot for installing the ROM yet but it does seem unlikely it'll work while he can't flash a bootloader/radio via fastboot. Androyd, can you by any chance go into recovery and use adb successfully, particularly adb shell?
13th April 2012, 04:24 PM   |  #27  
Flag Montreal

6,180 posts
More
Quote:

Interesting. Will keep this in mind the next time i go drifting off thinking about this stuff, thanks. Just a question though, was it a corrupted flash or flashing a non-compatible radio (NS4G -> i9020T, i9020A -> i9020T or something)?

Not sure if Androyd has tried fastboot for installing the ROM yet but it does seem unlikely it'll work while he can't flash a bootloader/radio via fastboot. Androyd, can you by any chance go into recovery and use adb successfully, particularly adb shell?

I am not sure because it was around last August, but I believe it was simply a corrupted flash when I tried KD1 for i9020a/i9020t/i9023 from here. From then on I just stuck to using KB3 and/or UC based radios only meant for i9020a and moved on with my life.

I think we need a bullet list of what Androyd is able and not able to do at the moment. I see he's able to boot to recovery by loading one using fasboot. Shows fastboot is in working order. From then on I don't see why he can't anything though.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to polobunny For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th April 2012, 04:33 PM   |  #28  
Flag Sydney

1,108 posts
More
That would be what we need so we can get fresh ideas if need be. Specific things which you can and can't do, and any error messages or extra steps involved doing/attempting something.

Looking over, this may end up being another flash storage failure, but we've yet to eliminate everything, and there are still a couple of options to try before sucking up to samsung.
The Following User Says Thank You to Harbb For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th April 2012, 04:41 PM   |  #29  
OP Senior Member

642 posts
Quote:

You don't need a working radio to flash anything, you know. :S Well, with my Nexus S you do. I can't flash a new bootloader, nor a radio.img. That's a fact. I tried it, it doesn't work. I searched around on the internet, and apparently it has something to do with the radio. It is the i9020XXXXX baseband version, and because my bootloader version is something else, it prevents me from flashing a radio or a bootloader. Don't ask me why, but it is true. Not much is known about this problem though...

Since you got adb working, you should be able to use fastboot to do all your stuff. Well, fastboot does recognise my device, and so does ADB. I just can't flash bootloader or radio...

Use a flashlight to shine the screen and see what's going on if you can't see anything. I tried several recoveries, and while I can see SOMETHING with a flashlight, I can't read anything and I also can't see anything moving when I press the volume buttons. The only way I can get recovery working is to boot it with fastboot using the "fastboot boot recovery.img" command. I got that tip from someone, and he says it only works with CWM 3.1.0.1. I also tried it with 5.X.X.X, and while I can see some thick lines (like the line that moves when you press the volume buttons), they don't move when you press the volume buttons. The soft keys say that I'm in recovery though (menu and back button light up). But how can I know for sure I am? Because nothing on the screen changes when I scroll...

Boot into fastboot mode (VOL+ and PWR), make sure your phone is unlocked (command is: fastboot oem unlock). Unlock it if it's not. I can't boot into fastboot mode, like I said. I can resurrect my phone to download mode, and then I can boot it into recovery. But when I power off after that I have to resurrect again. And yes, the bootloader is unlocked. It was locked first (which is strange because before the brick it was unlocked), but fortunately the fastboot oem unlock command worked.

http://download.clockworkmod.com/rec...2.0-crespo.img I can flash recovery with fastboot, but it doesn't matter. Because when I reboot, my phone goes dead again. Then I have to resurrect it again, and then I'm back to square one. The only way I can get into recovery is by booting into it using "fastboot boot recovery.img", like I explained above.

After that, power down and reboot in recovery (VOL+ and PWR, then select recovery. Scroll to Mounts and Storage then mount USB storage. Your computer should popup a new drive, if not, disconnect your phone and connect it again. Can't boot into anything, unless I use the resurrector. I also can't see anything. Not in download mode, not in recovery. Which is a bug, I know...

Once that new drive popups up, transfer any compatible ROM of your choice and flash it using CWM. Tada! I wish it was this easy...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/atta...1&d=1317509083 Can't flash a radio, like I explained.

Reply in bold. Hopefully you now understand my problem isn't that easy. I'm glad the resurrector works though. I guess that means my phone isn't totally dead...
13th April 2012, 04:45 PM   |  #30  
OP Senior Member

642 posts
Quote:

I can go into recovery using "fastboot boot recovery.img". I can use ADB to push files (like an OTA). I can TRY to flash the OTA, but I can't see ANYTHING changing on my screen. I see some lines but nothing changes. So I have now idea what I'm selecting... Of course I searched for pictures of CWM menus on the internet, but I still can't know for certain if it worked.

Quote:

I am not sure because it was around last August, but I believe it was simply a corrupted flash when I tried KD1 for i9020a/i9020t/i9023 from here. From then on I just stuck to using KB3 and/or UC based radios only meant for i9020a and moved on with my life.

I think we need a bullet list of what Androyd is able and not able to do at the moment. I see he's able to boot to recovery by loading one using fasboot. Shows fastboot is in working order. From then on I don't see why he can't anything though.

Bullet list is coming in a few hours. I'm not at home at the moment.

Quote:

That would be what we need so we can get fresh ideas if need be. Specific things which you can and can't do, and any error messages or extra steps involved doing/attempting something.

Looking over, this may end up being another flash storage failure, but we've yet to eliminate everything, and there are still a couple of options to try before sucking up to samsung.

Thank you both for taking the time to help me! That is really great!

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread