Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,667 Members 49,634 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] i9023 bricked. Secure: on (S-ON), radio XXXXX

Tip us?

Androyed
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 104
I was just thinking, could it have something to do with my IMEI number? I found this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1213566. He has the same errors as me:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djgerbavore View Post
I'm trying to restore from stock via the one_click_method, but it fails trying to write the radio partition.

>$ fastboot-mac flash radio radio.img
sending 'radio' (15232 KB)... OKAY
writing 'radio'... FAILED (remote: Write Fail)

So I tried to erase the radio partition but I get this error:

>$ fastboot-mac erase radio
erasing 'radio'... FAILED (remote: No Allowance on This Partition)

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong here.

Thanks,
I don't want mess with my EFS folder just yet, but it could be a possibility. The day I bricked my Nexus S, I updated CM9 to a new nightly, I updated the matrix kernel, and I also flashed the reloadedICS mod. But I wasn't happy with the fact that they changed the icons in the statusbar. Luckily I found a post in that thread, where someone uploaded the same reloadedICS mod, but with the original icons. Could it be that I got a wrong IMEI number because of that?

Odin and heimdall are on my list for tomorrow. Am I supposed to fill the baseband partition with zeros myself? Because to be honest I'm not really sure what partitions is what in my post above.
Owner of a Nexus S, and thinking about upgrading? Go flash Rasbean_SmokedHoloEdition! It might change your mind.

anglergab
Old
(Last edited by anglergab; 17th April 2012 at 03:00 PM.)
Thanks Meter 15
It can happen, that your EFS partition got corrupted. If it's true and you don't have a backup of it, then you cannot restore it and probably your IMEI is also lost. The next command (for a Nexus) presumably makes a backup image of efs, which can then be checked for consistency:
Code:
Select Code
dd if=/dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.0/by-name/efs of=/sdcard/efs.img
The next command makes a backup of your baseband/radio image:
Code:
Select Code
dd if=/dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.0/by-name/radio bs=4096 of=/mnt/sdcard/radio.img
If you exchange the parameters of "if" and "of", you can flash/restore a radio image.

Update: you can check the next folder for device files as well:
Code:
Select Code
/dev/block/platform/s3c-sdhci.0/by-name
Bootloader, baseband/radio firmware images can be found on this link:
code.google.com/android/nexus/images.html

If you have a i9023 device, you'll need to check out section "Factory Images "soju" for Nexus S (worldwide version, i9020t and i9023)". Please unpack the aforementioned img-s from the zip.

You should check the /dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.0/by-name/ folder for block devices containing firmware. Though most partitions containing firmware images can be hidden by default, but they still can be accessed and modified (with restoring purposes as well) through a serial console. A serial console with UART can be activated through your USB port by connecting appropriate resistors to some pins.

If your further attempts to flash a proper baseband image are not successful, then one of the last hopes is enabling serial console.
The Following User Says Thank You to anglergab For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Superboy58
Old
Thanks Meter 19
I was facing the same issue since two days when I managed to unlock my bootloader with "fastboot oem unlock" but I don't know why did it not work before...
Anyway, I can't see anything on my screen, it is always black and also after flashing new bootloader, new radio, new boot.img, new system.img, I can't see the charging battery when the phone is off and I can't see the white word "Google".

I think the 16Gb Sandisk memory chip is damaged and we can't do anything for this.
I've see someone speaking about a low lever NAND flasher/eraser and I was wondering if we can't reset the memory chip by some voltage in some pins of the chip...
Any chance this crazy solution works?

Androyed
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 104
Hey there anglergab and everyone else who has helped me!

Sorry for my absence the last week. I was on a trip with my school. I just came back and now I have vacation for a week, so I'm going to work on my bricked Nexus S the coming week... after a good long sleep, that is!
Owner of a Nexus S, and thinking about upgrading? Go flash Rasbean_SmokedHoloEdition! It might change your mind.

DarkhShadow
Old
Thanks Meter 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Androyed View Post
Hey there anglergab and everyone else who has helped me!

Sorry for my absence the last week. I was on a trip with my school. I just came back and now I have vacation for a week, so I'm going to work on my bricked Nexus S the coming week... after a good long sleep, that is!
Hope you get it working!

As a last resort you could always try AdamOutlers unbrickable mod

Sent from my ice cream powered Nexus S

Phone: Nexus 4
Unlocked bootloader, TWRP, Faux123 kernel and PA4 early build
---
Phone: Nexus S (GT-i9020T)
BB6
Unlocked bootloader, TWRP 2.1.1, Marmite v7 and rooted
---
Tablet: Nexus 7
AOKP JB Build (something)
Unlocked, Franco kernel (latest), rooted
---

Quinny899 "Typical Android Market User..."

WHY U NO WORK?
I HATE YOU!
ONE STAR UNTIL THIS <insert bullsh*t here> IS FIXED

---

Androyed
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkhShadow View Post
Hope you get it working!

As a last resort you could always try AdamOutlers unbrickable mod

Lol, I'm waaaaaaay beyond that! Without AdamOutler's tool I can't even get any life out of my device... :P

DarkhShadow
Old
Thanks Meter 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Androyed View Post
Lol, I'm waaaaaaay beyond that! Without AdamOutler's tool I can't even get any life out of my device... :P
That's the software part of the mod, I'm talking about the full blown hardware mod, ie can flash bootloaders even if its corrupted and from there flash stuff
Maybe even try pming Adam himself

Phone: Nexus 4
Unlocked bootloader, TWRP, Faux123 kernel and PA4 early build
---
Phone: Nexus S (GT-i9020T)
BB6
Unlocked bootloader, TWRP 2.1.1, Marmite v7 and rooted
---
Tablet: Nexus 7
AOKP JB Build (something)
Unlocked, Franco kernel (latest), rooted
---

Quinny899 "Typical Android Market User..."

WHY U NO WORK?
I HATE YOU!
ONE STAR UNTIL THIS <insert bullsh*t here> IS FIXED

---

Androyed
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by anglergab View Post
It can happen, that your EFS partition got corrupted. If it's true and you don't have a backup of it, then you cannot restore it and probably your IMEI is also lost. The next command (for a Nexus) presumably makes a backup image of efs, which can then be checked for consistency:
Code:
Select Code
dd if=/dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.0/by-name/efs of=/sdcard/efs.img
The next command makes a backup of your baseband/radio image:
Code:
Select Code
dd if=/dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.0/by-name/radio bs=4096 of=/mnt/sdcard/radio.img
If you exchange the parameters of "if" and "of", you can flash/restore a radio image.

Update: you can check the next folder for device files as well:
Code:
Select Code
/dev/block/platform/s3c-sdhci.0/by-name
Bootloader, baseband/radio firmware images can be found on this link:
code.google.com/android/nexus/images.html

If you have a i9023 device, you'll need to check out section "Factory Images "soju" for Nexus S (worldwide version, i9020t and i9023)". Please unpack the aforementioned img-s from the zip.

You should check the /dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.0/by-name/ folder for block devices containing firmware. Though most partitions containing firmware images can be hidden by default, but they still can be accessed and modified (with restoring purposes as well) through a serial console. A serial console with UART can be activated through your USB port by connecting appropriate resistors to some pins.

If your further attempts to flash a proper baseband image are not successful, then one of the last hopes is enabling serial console.
I tried to make a backup of efs and the radio image. Both the commands didn't work; "no such file or directory".

Using ls I tried to find my way through the directories. I got in dev, I got in block, and I got in platform, but I couldn't get further than that.

Quote:
/dev/block/platform # cd omap
cd omap
/sbin/sh: cd: can't cd to omap
I used ls again to see what was inside the /dev/block/platform folder.

Quote:
/dev/block/platform # ls
ls
s3c-sdhci.0 s5pc110-onenand
Also, Odin 1.85 doesn't recognize the device. I am in download mode (search- and homekey lit up).

shawnaxi
Old
Thanks Meter 0
What's the finial result of the 9023? My m200 encountered the same problem, that baseband I9020XXXXX

Androyed
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnaxi View Post
What's the finial result of the 9023? My m200 encountered the same problem, that baseband I9020XXXXX
I sent it to Adam Outler himself, the guy who made the Unbrickable Resurrector tool. He declared my Nexus S dead. Forever. Apparently I screwed up the radio so bad that it was beyond repair.

He specifically said that it would be pointless to go to another repair service, so I didn't. It's strange to have a brick that does still show some signs of life (my computer recognized something, and the Resurrector tool did work, sort of), but will never work again. How I managed to brick a Nexus beyond repair I'm still not sure. It was pretty sudden.