No registration required

[Q] Memory (RAM) usage confusion

OP sax1981

30th December 2010, 07:59 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1

16 posts
I have two Task Managers installed: "System Panel" and "Advanced Task Manager"

When I use the above two apps to check my free memory (RAM) available, it always shows around 75-100 mb remaining

When I use the stock app manager to check free memory, the value is always significantly higher - like 140-160 mb.

Does anyone know why there is discrepancy between the two readings? Which one shows the more accurate value?
30th December 2010, 08:06 PM   |  #2  
Flag Malmstrom AFB, MT
Thanks Meter: 102

2,343 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sax1981

I have two Task Managers installed: "System Panel" and "Advanced Task Manager"

When I use the above two apps to check my free memory (RAM) available, it always shows around 75-100 mb remaining

When I use the stock app manager to check free memory, the value is always significantly higher - like 140-160 mb.

Does anyone know why there is discrepancy between the two readings? Which one shows the more accurate value?

i dont know why there would be a discrepancy but you shouldnt use a task manager/killer on android 2.2+
30th December 2010, 08:13 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

16 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowz3r

i dont know why there would be a discrepancy but you shouldnt use a task manager/killer on android 2.2+

Why not?
30th December 2010, 08:16 PM   |  #4  
Out There
Thanks Meter: 190

882 posts
More
Quote:

Why not?

Starting in Froyo, Android has become more efficient at it's own native memory management than past versions and Gingerbread continued that improvement. What this means is that if Android starts running low on RAM, it will start killing things itself and reclaiming/reallocating the memory without the need for a third party app. The other concern about using a TasKiller most people raise is that if you set it to autokill, system apps or other sort of apps that need to be run(such as Facebook widget, other kind of widgets, noLED, et al) will relaunch on their own causing the TasKiller to kill it again... relaunch... kill... relaunch... kill keep your CPU cycles at 100% and draining your battery quicker than it should be.

That being said, I still use a TasKiller on autokill with the screen off simply because I like to (and paid for the app, so dangit, I'm gonna use it! :P). Once you have identified the apps that relaunch upon kill and set TasKiller to ignore them, the battery concern isn't an issue.
30th December 2010, 08:17 PM   |  #5  
Flag Malmstrom AFB, MT
Thanks Meter: 102

2,343 posts
More
Quote:

Why not?

they changed the way android 2.2+ handles apps in the background so when the task killer kills an app it does more harm than good, mainly kill the hell out of your battery because android wants to start it back up again

Dont know the details but thats the jist of it
30th December 2010, 08:46 PM   |  #6  
Flag Los Angeles, CA
Thanks Meter: 396

5,581 posts
System panel is a must have. It's not used to kill all apps, just to monitor your phone and kill an out of control app.

To answer the question, the way android shares RAM between processes is very difficult to actually identify free RAM and which apps are using what. So some apps make the choice to display the free RAM differently, no way around it as there is no one "right answer" on each memory usage. I always go by system panel myself.
30th December 2010, 09:14 PM   |  #7  
OP Junior Member

16 posts
RogerPodacter / slowz3r / unremarked - Thanks for the info!

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread