Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,733,460 Members 40,368 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Nexus S not booting after attempted CM 11.0 M6 update

Tip us?

8fold
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Question [Q] Nexus S not booting after attempted CM 11.0 M6 update

Hi there.

I'm in desperate need of help with my Nexus S. After updating CM it wont boot at all.

Earlier on, I've updated between 10.x releases using the CM Updater. I've done a backup using TWRP and then just clicked the latest stable and the phone has automatically updated, without any problems at all.

After much consideration I decided to go ahead and updated to the M6 version of CM11 for the Nexus S. This release was listed under "stable" releases (which is somewhat confusing, as it isn't a stable release?) in the CM Updater.

First I did a backup with TWRP and then I went ahead and selected the M6 release from the CM Updater. This is where I now know (via #cyanogenmod) that I did something wrong. I shouldn't have updated from a 10.x release to a 11.x release without wiping. However, there was no such information in the CM Updater and the release was listed under "Stable", so I never gave wiping a thought.

However, the phone reobooted and started updating, but displayed some errors that i didn't have time to write down.

Then it just rebooted and hung at the google logo. I waited for 15 minutes, and it was still just displaying the Google logo. So, I went into TWRP and restored the backup I did. after that the phone rebooted and it still hung at the Google logo. I pulled the battery again and went into TWRP and did a factory reset and tried rebooting. The phone hung at the Google logo again. This is when I did a factory reset AND restored my backup. STILL, the phone hangs at the Google logo.

What should I do? Is my trusted Nexus S gone forever?

rakeshbro
Old
Thanks Meter 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8fold View Post
Hi there.

I'm in desperate need of help with my Nexus S. After updating CM it wont boot at all.

Earlier on, I've updated between 10.x releases using the CM Updater. I've done a backup using TWRP and then just clicked the latest stable and the phone has automatically updated, without any problems at all.

After much consideration I decided to go ahead and updated to the M6 version of CM11 for the Nexus S. This release was listed under "stable" releases (which is somewhat confusing, as it isn't a stable release?) in the CM Updater.

First I did a backup with TWRP and then I went ahead and selected the M6 release from the CM Updater. This is where I now know (via #cyanogenmod) that I did something wrong. I shouldn't have updated from a 10.x release to a 11.x release without wiping. However, there was no such information in the CM Updater and the release was listed under "Stable", so I never gave wiping a thought.

However, the phone reobooted and started updating, but displayed some errors that i didn't have time to write down.

Then it just rebooted and hung at the google logo. I waited for 15 minutes, and it was still just displaying the Google logo. So, I went into TWRP and restored the backup I did. after that the phone rebooted and it still hung at the Google logo. I pulled the battery again and went into TWRP and did a factory reset and tried rebooting. The phone hung at the Google logo again. This is when I did a factory reset AND restored my backup. STILL, the phone hangs at the Google logo.

What should I do? Is my trusted Nexus S gone forever?
Follow this Step :

1.Go to TWRP and wipe everything leaving storage(Internal Storage)
2.Then Reboot recovery
3.Then restore ur TWRP Backup.(Make sure ur twrp backup is healthy )
4.Wipe cache & dalvik (Optional)
5.Reboot system.

Ur device should boot now.
|--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
Talking to me?? Then Hit This Button
|--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Lamborghini Theme Only For hTc One V

Setting.Out
Old
Thanks Meter 1112
If I may add, the M6 is a bit buggy, a more recent nightly is more stable.. or choose an M5, M4 or other snapshot if you prefer them..
device: i9023 Nexus S
rom: Modded and Fast
kernel: MARMITE (My lid is licked)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
CyanAOSP KitKat (4.4.x) [port]
The War Against Obscurity
(ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK)

Follow this link to see how your rom compares!!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Click "thanks" for developers and anyone that helps you!!

8fold
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by rakeshbro View Post
Follow this Step :

1.Go to TWRP and wipe everything leaving storage(Internal Storage)
2.Then Reboot recovery
3.Then restore ur TWRP Backup.(Make sure ur twrp backup is healthy )
4.Wipe cache & dalvik (Optional)
5.Reboot system.

Ur device should boot now.
Thanks! I wiped:
  • Cache
  • Dalvik Cache
  • System
  • Android Secure

The only thing I left out was External Storage. Then I restored my backup. After rebooting the phone hangs at the Google logo, once again. I wont get further than that.

rakeshbro
Old
Thanks Meter 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8fold View Post
Thanks! I wiped:
  • Cache
  • Dalvik Cache
  • System
  • Android Secure

The only thing I left out was External Storage. Then I restored my backup. After rebooting the phone hangs at the Google logo, once again. I wont get further than that.
Did u reboot recovery after wiping?
Otherwise u will be stuck on google logo.
Talking to me?? Then Hit This Button

Lamborghini Theme Only For hTc One V