Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,785,371 Members 38,573 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Nexus S CPU usage and battery life on 4.0.4 ICS

Tip us?

vyszard
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Okay so betterbatterystats showed me the main culprit (by far compare to others) for partial wakelock is "AlarmManager". What does it do? Can I turn it off?

ykphuah
Old
Thanks Meter 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by vyszard View Post
Okay so betterbatterystats showed me the main culprit (by far compare to others) for partial wakelock is "AlarmManager". What does it do? Can I turn it off?
The knowledge base is your friend.

https://github.com/asksven/BetterBat...i/AlarmManager
The Following User Says Thank You to ykphuah For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

meatty
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default battery life sucks

Hi,

I've been a lurker on XDA for a while, and recently, I've had a problem with my battery. When I upgraded from Stock GB (unlocked/ rooted) to stock ICS, my battery went from reasonable to unusable. Since that time, I've changed my ROM and my Kernel (currently running Matr1x and AOKP), and calibrated my battery. I've tried some of the things in this and other threads (force stopping programs, turning off location services, bluetooth), to no avail. I got BetterBatteryStats and did what they recommend over in the BBS forum - I charged it overnight, then unplugged it and let it collect stats for a while.

I attached the BBS file over in the BBS forum (attached here for you to see what they saw) and during the 1 h 43 m that this dump file was created, my battery went from 100% to 84% without turning on the screen except to create the dump file.

When I posted over in the BBS forum, they said to uninstall facebook, gmail and turn off wifi and autosync. I'm not too concerned about facebook, but turning off gmail and autosync are non-starters - I'd rather go back to GB than lose those functionalities.

They suggested trying a different ROM. I'm currently on AOKP ROM and Matr1x Kernel. Can anyone suggest a kernel and/or ICS rom that will give me reasonable battery life?

Nexus S I9020A

chronophase1
Old
Thanks Meter 163
Yeah. Mine isn't much better to be honest. Its a hit or miss with life on ics it seems. I haven't changed my usage habits too much between my phones and the Nexus is pretty bad. Then again, my G1 was much much worse. Lol. You can try doing a factory reset if you're willing to deal with downloading your apps all over again and setting everything back up. When I rocked Matr1x, I used a screen off profile that helped a little bit. Lionheart around 800 Max and screen off I think I had Wheatley set to 400.

Sent by pocket technology.
Devices: Galaxy Nexus GSM(Deodexed 4.2.2) Nexus 7(Deodexed 4.2.2)

polobunny
Old
Thanks Meter 2,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatty View Post
Hi,

I've been a lurker on XDA for a while, and recently, I've had a problem with my battery. When I upgraded from Stock GB (unlocked/ rooted) to stock ICS, my battery went from reasonable to unusable. Since that time, I've changed my ROM and my Kernel (currently running Matr1x and AOKP), and calibrated my battery. I've tried some of the things in this and other threads (force stopping programs, turning off location services, bluetooth), to no avail. I got BetterBatteryStats and did what they recommend over in the BBS forum - I charged it overnight, then unplugged it and let it collect stats for a while.

I attached the BBS file over in the BBS forum (attached here for you to see what they saw) and during the 1 h 43 m that this dump file was created, my battery went from 100% to 84% without turning on the screen except to create the dump file.

When I posted over in the BBS forum, they said to uninstall facebook, gmail and turn off wifi and autosync. I'm not too concerned about facebook, but turning off gmail and autosync are non-starters - I'd rather go back to GB than lose those functionalities.

They suggested trying a different ROM. I'm currently on AOKP ROM and Matr1x Kernel. Can anyone suggest a kernel and/or ICS rom that will give me reasonable battery life?

Nexus S I9020A
Nothing is really keeping your phone awake to be honest. Gmail has a few wakelocks, nothing abnormal though, and it's not keeping it awake for long (23s total). Same for Facebook (7s total).

You can see your phone had bluetooth on for 1h43. That's a battery drain, if you're not using it I suggest you turn it off.
Same thing for data. If you're not using it, turn it off. From the log you don't seem to have bad signal, which is good, because bad signal can kill your battery even more.

Do you use your calendar and mostly calendar syncing? It seems to have a few wakelocks, which could end up hurting your battery.

As for the kernel, are you using the latest version? v22 has much better results than the earlier ones, so that might help too. Stability prior to this wasn't super great. Otherwise I had good luck with Air kernel v4.4 and the settings in my signature. I dropped 3% in around 5 hours, arguably without doing nothing however.

I would also look into your screen brightness settings. You can always take a screenshot of your battery stats in Android to show us more.
Please press THANKS if someone helps you!

My current configuration:

Device: Samsung Galaxy S3 SGH-i747M
ROM: cm-11-20140827-NIGHTLY-d2lte
Kernel: Harkness
Baseband: I747MVLDMF1
Bootloader: I747MVLDMF1
Governor: Interactive

Older device: Nexus S i9020A

meatty
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by polobunny View Post
Nothing is really keeping your phone awake to be honest. Gmail has a few wakelocks, nothing abnormal though, and it's not keeping it awake for long (23s total). Same for Facebook (7s total).

You can see your phone had bluetooth on for 1h43. That's a battery drain, if you're not using it I suggest you turn it off.
Yes, I use bluetooth while in the car, but not otherwise. Is there a way to automatically turn it off, for example, when connecting to a specific wifi network? Or really any wifi network? Since I know I won't use Bluetooth while connected to wifi, that would be useful.

I did notice one interesting thing yesterday, when I was in a different car - in my car, I just have bluetooth headset functionality, but the other car I had audio, etc. that turned out to be something that really gobbled up battery, even though the only thing I used was the headset functionality. Is it possible to just use bluetooth in a restricted form (i.e. don't bother with audio sharing, just connect as a headset)?

Quote:
Same thing for data. If you're not using it, turn it off. From the log you don't seem to have bad signal, which is good, because bad signal can kill your battery even more.
Not really sure I understand - I am always using data. wifi? if there's a wifi network, I definitely prefer to connect to it, rather than using the much slower 3G network.

Quote:
Do you use your calendar and mostly calendar syncing? It seems to have a few wakelocks, which could end up hurting your battery.
I use it primarily for gmail, but also calendar and contacts. Sure, contacts may be able to be done daily, but I will forget to sync, and the point of the smartphone is that I don't have to remember stuff!

Quote:
As for the kernel, are you using the latest version? v22 has much better results than the earlier ones, so that might help too. Stability prior to this wasn't super great. Otherwise I had good luck with Air kernel v4.4 and the settings in my signature. I dropped 3% in around 5 hours, arguably without doing nothing however.
I just downloaded v22 - I'll let you know if it helps.

Quote:
I would also look into your screen brightness settings. You can always take a screenshot of your battery stats in Android to show us more.
I keep my brightness on auto unless I'm outside in the sun. outside in the sun I need it full up - I live in Texas and the sun is very bright... Besides, my problem is not the drain when the screen is on - it's the drain when the screen is off.

I got screenshots of the battery, as well as a couple more BBS dumps (with more realistic days), but I can't post right now - I will add them later, when I get a chance.