Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,812,470 Members 40,535 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Nexus S i9020A - No cellular connection after updating to 2.3.6

Tip us?

mailrachit
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Default [Q] Nexus S i9020A - No cellular connection after updating to 2.3.6

I am using Nexus S i9020A (unlocked).

After updating to 2.3.6 (GRK39F), I lost all cellular connections (voice and data) effectively making it useless.

There is a page on Google Support for people like me who have faced this same problem.

google.com/support/forum/p/Google+Mobile/thread?tid=6946203d6a4d4b2f&hl=en

I successfully installed stock 2.3.3 but I still do not have voice & data. I also tried Cyanogenmod stable 7.0.3

Though the images above did flash the radio back to KB1/KB3, I also manually flashed a couple of radios that I knew worked with my phone previously. Still I do not have voice or data.

Is there a way to make my phone work again?

Thanks..
bedalus Old
Thanks Meter 0
I suspect that the new baseband has invalidated something in your efs folder. Make a backup of your efs folder before you do anything else. Team Win Recovery Project offers this ability in their custom recovery image.

You should then check the radio thread in development and follow method 2 for restoring data, very very carefully.

Sent from the future to put right what once went wrong.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

YourMainDude
Old
Thanks Meter 57
Just fixed mine last night with the same problem... download the UCKD1 radio... flash via fastboot

After that go into development and look for the radio thread u can't miss it. Should be one of the top threads on here... Should Read Nexus S Radios.... on the very first page scroll down to 3G Connection.... make sure u have Root Explorer ... if u don't ... go into 4shared.com and download it there its the 2.16 version [shhhh] lol follow the instructions by copying the 3 files in the EFS Folder and place all three into root of SD.... after that simply back out. Btw you can copy the files via root explorer by press and holding for the pop up. Turn phone off and on... =] should be OK. Remember back up your esf file and never use Rom Manager unless u wanna risk it.

Sent from my Nexus S using xda premium
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to YourMainDude For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
bedalus Old
Thanks Meter 0
No, you don't copy the files, you move them. This is so
you have the originals should something go wrong when they are regenerated. Copying the entire folder achieves the same thing and is less fiddly.

Read the radio post.

Sent from the future to put right what once went wrong.

YourMainDude
Old
Thanks Meter 57
I copied them and I'm ok

mailrachit
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
thanks to both of you!!

my phone's working fine now.

e-dub
Old
Thanks Meter 6
i have one of the white nexus s models that were being sold on negri electronics before at+t introduced theirs. mine is still stock, will this fix work on my stock, unrooted handset?

eric b
k-day: 09.19.2007

my lineage:

htc apache -> htc titan -> unlocked/unbranded htc kaiser (switched to at+t) -> htc raphael -> nexus one -> nexus s -> samsung focus (just to check out windows phone 7, it's nice!) -> galaxy nexus -> nexus 4

YourMainDude
Old
Thanks Meter 57
No u need root access and root explorer... have to use command prompt

The Following User Says Thank You to YourMainDude For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

e-dub
Old
Thanks Meter 6
cool, thanks for the answer.

eric b
k-day: 09.19.2007

my lineage:

htc apache -> htc titan -> unlocked/unbranded htc kaiser (switched to at+t) -> htc raphael -> nexus one -> nexus s -> samsung focus (just to check out windows phone 7, it's nice!) -> galaxy nexus -> nexus 4

psy-q
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Woo! you guys nailed it. Remove 3 files from efs directory and it's all good.

Thanks!

Tags
2.3.6, bricked, cellular connections, i9020a, nexus s