XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Nexus S won't go into recovery?

Tip us?

carolinaguy99
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Nexus S won't go into recovery?

I am trying to unroot my nexus s. I can't get back into recovery mode at all. I get the android guy and a ! screen. trying over and over still gets me back to this screen...... what to do?

ScotchtapeLoser
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Vol UP and POWER will take you to the bootloader.

fastboot boot clockworkrecovery.img

you should now be in clockwork recovery. It will revert back to stock on reboot, so you will need to mount system and rename the install-recovery.sh to install-recovery.old

I believe it is in the system/etc/

adb reboot bootloader

fastboot flash recovery clockworkrecovery.img (this will replace the stock recovery)
The Following User Says Thank You to ScotchtapeLoser For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

carolinaguy99
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
I dont have clockwork recovery on my device..... I kind of need a dumbed down walk though. I tried the unlokr's walkthrough and thats when I found my device won't go into recovery mode. It tries and then goes to the above mentioned screen.

zephiK
Old
Thanks Meter 3267

DONATE TO ME
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1000722 read through this long thread that I took a user to install Clockwork Recovery (or just look at the stickied thread in General in regards about rooting.. it includes flashing Clockwork)

this 7 page thread is dumbed down to the point where it cannot be dumbed down any more.
Twitter -- If you actually need to get in contact with me just tweet me rather than PMs its more efficient and I can get back to you faster.

Nexus 5 (D820): Purity | Franco Kernel
Nexus 4 (E960): Purity | Franco Kernel
Older devices: Galaxy Nexus, ASUS TF101, Nexus S, Samsung Vibrant, G1

xpdos
Old
Thanks Meter 0
If its still stock after you select recovery it will show you the image and then you have to hold even power and volume up again or just volume up I can't remember.

Sent from my Google Nexus S using Tapatalk

carolinaguy99
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
that thread helped me in no way shape or form......

navlem
Old
Thanks Meter 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinaguy99 View Post
I am trying to unroot my nexus s. I can't get back into recovery mode at all. I get the android guy and a ! screen. trying over and over still gets me back to this screen...... what to do?
If you can see that android with exclamation mark, i think you are already unrooted.
Phones History :

Tablets History :
Asus : Transformer Prime TF201, Nexus 7 (2012)
Apple : iPad 4
JupiterDroid Old
Thanks Meter
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinaguy99 View Post
that thread helped me in no way shape or form......
You are unrooted and completely stock it sounds. If you want Clockwork installed you will have to unlock the bootloader, fastboot OEM unlock, then root or leave it unrooted

JD

Sent from my Google Black Neolithic Slab Of Wonderment S

snoobar
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotchtapeLoser View Post
Vol UP and POWER will take you to the bootloader.

fastboot boot clockworkrecovery.img

you should now be in clockwork recovery. It will revert back to stock on reboot, so you will need to mount system and rename the install-recovery.sh to install-recovery.old

I believe it is in the system/etc/

adb reboot bootloader

fastboot flash recovery clockworkrecovery.img (this will replace the stock recovery)

yeah, but what if the user cant find the "install-recovery.sh" file? for instance my "etc" folder doesnt have that file and i'm rooted.

zephiK
Old
Thanks Meter 3267

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoobar View Post
yeah, but what if the user cant find the "install-recovery.sh" file? for instance my "etc" folder doesnt have that file and i'm rooted.
then the stock recovery won't keep reinstalling itself and CWR will be default.
Twitter -- If you actually need to get in contact with me just tweet me rather than PMs its more efficient and I can get back to you faster.

Nexus 5 (D820): Purity | Franco Kernel
Nexus 4 (E960): Purity | Franco Kernel
Older devices: Galaxy Nexus, ASUS TF101, Nexus S, Samsung Vibrant, G1