Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Ram issues withICS

OP sdutta

15th April 2012, 05:07 PM   |  #11  
Thanks Meter: 179

3,133 posts
More
130? I'm lucky to stay above 60mb free. No sluggishness though, and I use the stock launcher, and it doesn't redraw.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2
15th April 2012, 05:12 PM   |  #12  
Flag Sydney
Thanks Meter: 38

313 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdutta

can anyone suggest some ways to free up more RAM to atleast 180-190mb

You need a custom rom. CM9 V6 works the best for this. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1399035

Basically when you install this. It just installs a new system which basically wipes all the useless crap you dont need on the stock rom. Also if that doesnt help. Try the free astro manager and its modules. It basically allows you to enter your phone data and SD card. And research on what to wipe and not to wipe.

Also if you dont mind. Wipe dalvik cache. It wipes your application data. I highly recommend you to research on wipe dalvik cache and cache.
21st April 2012, 02:50 PM   |  #13  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

8 posts
is it possible that available free ram is less bcoz of cached apps.
GB didnt use cached apps unlike ICS
21st April 2012, 03:44 PM   |  #14  
Flag Budapest
Thanks Meter: 15

46 posts
More
It is not particularly wise to draw far-reaching conclusions from the size of free RAM, in particular on Linux based systems.
Some used RAM can be anytime freed if necessary (cached/buffered/shared), otherwise it will enhance the general responsiveness of the system.
The Linux kernel manages RAM great, so you shouldn't worry about free RAM, unlike on Windows systems. If the system needs more RAM, Android will find the best possible way to produce it through removing really unneeded processes and services from RAM.
It can happen, that it seems you've got no free RAM, still the system is pretty responsive.
22nd April 2012, 12:38 AM   |  #15  
Flag Toronto, ON
Thanks Meter: 67

367 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdutta

After updating from GB to ICS 4.0.4 using the official update my nexus has slowed down.Earlier available free RAM always used to be above 180 mb.
But now it is always less than 130 mb.
As a result the experience has become really sluggish..

Having greater than 100 MB free is enough to create a smooth experience. Actually the more RAM your phone is using for recent apps, the better the experience is since your phone doesn't have to keep loading all of the app data into RAM. On the contrary, I would think the more RAM is used the less loading and therefore quicker app launching.

More RAM does not equate to a faster phone.
22nd April 2012, 12:54 AM   |  #16  
Thanks Meter: 2,421

591 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by anglergab

It is not particularly wise to draw far-reaching conclusions from the size of free RAM, in particular on Linux based systems.
Some used RAM can be anytime freed if necessary (cached/buffered/shared), otherwise it will enhance the general responsiveness of the system.

That said, if you're looking at the memory display in "Running processes" in the Android settings, memory used for file cache or by cached background processes counts as "free".

In my experience, ICS does tend to use more memory than Gingerbread, but not so much so that it's a problem. I do run with 64 MB swap, which makes no appreciable difference to speed either way, but reduces the number of launcher restarts.
23rd April 2012, 05:18 AM   |  #17  
Flag Chicago
Thanks Meter: 56

490 posts
More
I usually have 50 to 60 MB free. My phone is very smooth at all times.

Eat at Joe's
23rd April 2012, 01:27 PM   |  #18  
Account Currently Disabled
Thanks Meter: 10

228 posts
tooy and then under the development section is the stock rooted tom that has a performance mod to ti. I would then save that to the phone and then in clock work mod do a factory reset three times and then install the performance mod and it will be alot better.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread