XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Returning to Stock

Tip us?

Rotellian
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default Returning to Stock

Ive had enough of running buggy, battery hungry roms and would like to return my Nexus S to stock. The last time I was on stock was 2.3.6 I believe. If I flash via CWM to the official 4.0.3 in this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1445570 will I then be able receive OTA updates, ie to 4.1.2? (obviously Ill be rooted again, but im not fussed)

polobunny
Old
Thanks Meter 2125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotellian View Post
Ive had enough of running buggy, battery hungry roms and would like to return my Nexus S to stock. The last time I was on stock was 2.3.6 I believe. If I flash via CWM to the official 4.0.3 in this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1445570 will I then be able receive OTA updates, ie to 4.1.2? (obviously Ill be rooted again, but im not fussed)
Flash the stock images from Google and 4.1.2 instead.
https://developers.google.com/androi...ges#sojujzo54k

Read the instructions, you need to use fastboot for these.
Please press THANKS if someone helps you!

My current configuration:

Device: Samsung Galaxy S3 SGH-i747M
ROM: cm-11-20140413-NIGHTLY-d2lte
Kernel: Stock
Baseband: I747MVLUEMF1
Bootloader: I747MVLDMF1
Governor: Interactive

Older device: Nexus S i9020A

C4SCA
Old
Thanks Meter 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by polobunny View Post
Flash the stock images from Google and 4.1.2 instead.
https://developers.google.com/androi...ges#sojujzo54k

Read the instructions, you need to use fastboot for these.
Best way to do it!
"You're either NEXUS or against us!"

Nexus S -> ICS: Apex Rom/*Matr1x* OC: 1.3ghz JB: Stock/@bedalus Kernel OC: 1.1ghz/ 412mb ram
Nexus 7 -> Stock
Lumia 800 -> it doesn't run Android!
SGS2 i9100 -> TW 4.1.2/Apolo Kernel
Nexus 4 (current device) -> Stock 4.4.2/moob Kernel (@bedalus kernel)

Android em portuguÍs: Plataform'Android

aladin6
Old
Thanks Meter 109
Quote:
Buggy? Battery hungry ? You were in what ROM? All custom ROMs at almost 100% bugs free(especially CM10 and CM10/AOKP based). Weird ...
androniennn.

Rotellian
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Dont have the time to setup the computer for Fastboot, couldnt get it working with Win7 last time out either.

Rotellian
Old
(Last edited by Rotellian; 30th October 2012 at 07:37 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by aladin6 View Post
Buggy? Battery hungry ? You were in what ROM? All custom ROMs at almost 100% bugs free(especially CM10 and CM10/AOKP based). Weird ...
Tried all sorts, Oxygen, NSCollab, early ICS roms (awful), others i cant remember. Best combo i had was stock 2.3.6/7 with a Kernel i think. I found that invariably they become less stable the longer you have them installed. Of course if you change rom a lot you'll never notice.

madd0g
Old
Thanks Meter 691
I'm with you, running stock 4.1.2 since it came out, only with custom kernel for BLN, highbigmem and voodoo sound and don't regret it a bit. A lot of free time and no need to update all the time;P
--
Nexus4

polobunny
Old
Thanks Meter 2125
Quote:
Dont have the time to setup the computer for Fastboot, couldnt get it working with Win7 last time out either.
How did you root and unlock your phone then? Only way to do it needs an actual working connection with fasboot/adb. Even the 1 click crap uses that.

I guess nothing stops you from flashing 4.0.3 then going the upgrade route, but I don't see that as a very efficient nor a clean way to do it.

aladin6
Old
Thanks Meter 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by madd0g View Post
I'm with you, running stock 4.1.2 since it came out, only with custom kernel for BLN, highbigmem and voodoo sound and don't regret it a bit. A lot of free time and no need to update all the time;P
OMG, how can you stay with ONE ROM more than one week . No seriously, there is 2 ROMs that they're perfectly stable and full of features: CM10 and ParanaoidAndroid. I no longer look to other ROMs. And ParanoidAndroid is in my device more than 2 weeks
androniennn.

polobunny
Old
Thanks Meter 2125
Quote:
Originally Posted by aladin6 View Post
OMG, how can you stay with ONE ROM more than one week . No seriously, there is 2 ROMs that they're perfectly stable and full of features: CM10 and ParanaoidAndroid. I no longer look to other ROMs. And ParanoidAndroid is in my device more than 2 weeks
It would be hard to call CM10 something related to stable (same for any CM10 base ROM). Even they don't call it that. That's why the nightly tag is for.

The Following User Says Thank You to polobunny For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]