Android 5.0 Leaked for the Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Android Lollipop is still making its way to many new devices. Firmware updates have been … more

Learn to Sync Files Between Android And PC with Unison

Dropbox and similar cloud services are great if youre planning to keep your files … more

OnePlus Indian Ban Lifted, Android One Expanding – XDA TV

Android 5.0.1 Lollipop is available for the Nvidia SHIELD Tablet! That and … more

Nvidia and Robotics w/ Barrett Williams – XDA:DevCon 2014

Robotics continues to dominate our videos from this years XDA:DevCon 2014 in … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Urgent help needed: can not delete/copy data and stuck at boot

OP urhhoney

25th July 2011, 12:26 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 2

50 posts
Device: Nexus s (unbranded, bought from carphonewarehouse uk)
Rooted: yes
Rom: Ns Collab

I was going from London to Amsterdam and I switched on flight mode.... i was listening to mp3s and was using volume keys to skip tracks and suddenly it went silent. I tried everything to turn it on... didnt happen... it gets stuck at Google logo on boot....

fastboot was working but CWM was not... so used adb to push new CWM from CMD (win vista) .... mounted sd .... but since the last 8 hours or so...

I copy a new rom e.g. MIUI or the stock one or new NS Collab or Cyanogen mod ... it shows me its copied but if i try to install it it says... can't read (bad) ...

When i restart my old stuff is back (the old NS collab on root directory which i was using). If i flash that rom it again gets stuck on boot google logo....

I have tried formatting everything... from CWM but after formatting i restart and everything is still there.. tried formatting the sd from windows after mounting from CWM but it shows it is formatted, try copying something and installing same error and if i restart my old stuff is still there....

I am unable to write anythign to sd.. well it shows that it has copied but actually it doesnt and if you turn the phone off or restart it everything is there - old data ... no use...

IT SEEMS AS IF MY PHONE IS IN SOME KIND OF WRITE PROTECT MODE LOLZ.... BUT PLZ URGENT HELP NEEDED ... I AM UNABLE TO DO ANYTHING... I AM WILLING TO PAY ANYONE IF PERSONAL HELP IS GIVEN (i.e remote help through team viewer or skype)....
MYPaT
25th July 2011, 12:54 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 0

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by urhhoney

Device: Nexus s (unbranded, bought from carphonewarehouse uk)
Rooted: yes
Rom: Ns Collab

I was going from London to Amsterdam and I switched on flight mode.... i was listening to mp3s and was using volume keys to skip tracks and suddenly it went silent. I tried everything to turn it on... didnt happen... it gets stuck at Google logo on boot....

fastboot was working but CWM was not... so used adb to push new CWM from CMD (win vista) .... mounted sd .... but since the last 8 hours or so...

I copy a new rom e.g. MIUI or the stock one or new NS Collab or Cyanogen mod ... it shows me its copied but if i try to install it it says... can't read (bad) ...

When i restart my old stuff is back (the old NS collab on root directory which i was using). If i flash that rom it again gets stuck on boot google logo....

I have tried formatting everything... from CWM but after formatting i restart and everything is still there.. tried formatting the sd from windows after mounting from CWM but it shows it is formatted, try copying something and installing same error and if i restart my old stuff is still there....

I am unable to write anythign to sd.. well it shows that it has copied but actually it doesnt and if you turn the phone off or restart it everything is there - old data ... no use...

IT SEEMS AS IF MY PHONE IS IN SOME KIND OF WRITE PROTECT MODE LOLZ.... BUT PLZ URGENT HELP NEEDED ... I AM UNABLE TO DO ANYTHING... I AM WILLING TO PAY ANYONE IF PERSONAL HELP IS GIVEN (i.e remote help through team viewer or skype)....

revertback that unlock the phone then try it again unlock.
25th July 2011, 01:44 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 295

738 posts
More
I would say the best way is lock your bootloader, and unlock it again as it will wipe all the data
25th July 2011, 11:04 PM   |  #4  
OP Member

50 posts
I tried the following:

1. lock (fastboot oem lock)
2. unlock (fastboot oem unlock)

Nothing hapenned...

Downloaded the original firmware from samfirmware.com, flashed it ... nothing hapenned... still there is a boot freeze at google's logo ...

I am going to try reflash with odin... wait its not working now... first time it did... now it says failure....

what should i do now???

does anyone have update.zip file of the original firmware whic could be flashed via fastboot????
26th July 2011, 12:00 AM   |  #5  
OP Member

50 posts
Unhappy trying to format sd card
Guys the lock / unlock did not reap dividends....

I tried formatting sd card from:

1. CWM but after a restart the data is still there....
2. From windows which includes:
a) Quick format &
b) Complete format
Both these formats, I mean all of these options did not succeed, from windows it says format unsuccessful...

I think the internal sd card of the phone is, i dunno, somehow write protected or somehow malfunctioned.... i dunno how this hapenned cuz i was listening to music when it hapenned and it it just froze.....(read my 1st post)

Guys, if there is an option remaining please tell me cuz i am going crazzzzzyyyyyy....aaaaaarrrrrrhhhhhhhhh!!!!

I have tried:

1. Odin flash ---> failure
2. Tried copying a new rom and tried installing ---> failure
3. Flashed 2 seperate versions of CWM (crespo's and the latest ) both did not work, mean; i was not able to succesfully copy a new rom and flash it, everything i copy does not stay there after restart, or if i try to install before restart it gives error.... ---> failure
4. Locked the fastboot and unlocked it (not once, several times)..... ---> failure

All of the above did not work... the root cause of the problem is that i cant write on sd which is some sort of write failure but doesnt says so....

IF I WERE TO RETURN THE PHONE TO SAMSUNG/GOOGLE WARRANTY CENTRE WHAT SHOULD I DO IF THERE IS NO OTHER OPTON LEFT ???

fastboot erase recovery
fastboot oem lock

Does this reinstates my warranty right???
26th July 2011, 01:31 AM   |  #6  
Flag bradford
Thanks Meter: 101

255 posts
i can upload all image files for u to flash in fasfboot mode,recovery,system,boot,cache,data have u tries all of these????
26th July 2011, 02:29 AM   |  #7  
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 4,518

3,938 posts
Donate to Me
There is a simple thing - you need to flash your Phone with the Odin in the Download mode, not through CWM.

Its gonna delete completely everything, including SD Card and then gonna rewrite the NAND with the stock ROM.

Afterwards root your phone and flash custom ROM.

P.S. Here is the latest ROM with Odin for the I9020 - Samoled Version and here is the latest ROM with Odin for the I9023 Version with SLCD.
Last edited by brainmaster; 26th July 2011 at 02:59 AM.
26th July 2011, 05:43 AM   |  #8  
California
Thanks Meter: 504

3,321 posts
Search for a thread called "corrupt storage". Your nand flash may be corrupt. If so, even odin does not work. Luckily Samsung will replace your PBA (printed board assembly) for you that will include new nand memory, free of charge.
26th July 2011, 09:23 AM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 20

71 posts
More
From reading your posts it seems like irishrally is right, you have a very common problem that some nexus s's have which a corrupt nand memory and it happens at the most random of times.

I have the same problem, the only why to fix it is take it back to samsung but i would recommend using odin first to return everything back to stock(i.e. lock bootoader, stock recovery).

They will replace your nand memory free of charge.

heres a few links that might help:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=993403

http://www.google.com/support/forum/...04a4a0996d4bc9

I hope your not like me and live in the country you bought the phone from, if you are, I'm sorry to say you need to find someone who does.. send to them to send it to samsung...samsung's BS policy
26th July 2011, 10:27 AM   |  #10  
OP Member

50 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brainmaster

There is a simple thing - you need to flash your Phone with the Odin in the Download mode, not through CWM.

Its gonna delete completely everything, including SD Card and then gonna rewrite the NAND with the stock ROM.

Afterwards root your phone and flash custom ROM.

P.S. Here is the latest ROM with Odin for the I9020 - Samoled Version and here is the latest ROM with Odin for the I9023 Version with SLCD.

I have tried odin through download mode .... but it gives a failure... the first time it gave a success but the phone did not boot up.. i tried again as i read somewhere in a thread that this guy was having the same problem and he flashed in download mode 3-4 times and it was fixed... but i have tried it and mine gives a failure now if i try to flash in download mode via odin...

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
boot, boot loop, soft brick, stuck at boot, write protect
Previous Thread Next Thread