Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,810,588 Members 45,895 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] USB Not Working in Bootloader

Tip us?

red_skittles
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 25
Default [Q] USB Not Working in Bootloader

I have an old Nexus S that runs painfully slow. No amount of factory resetting helps so I want to perform a full wipe with a clean factory image install and unlock the bootloader while I am at it. I am using the Nexus Root Toolkit and the drivers have installed and are working correctly. However, once my phone reboots into the bootloader USB does not seem to be detected and the operation fails. Starting with my phone on with USB debugging enabled, I have no problem using the ADB quick tools in the Nexus Toolkit to list devices and reboot via ADB. Performing a full driver test runs fine until the phone reboots to the bootloader, then I get a fastboot error. Also, in the bootloader beneath the boot options near the bottom of the screen is this text:

Code:
USB Control Init
USB Control Init end
Another stranger thing is that the volume buttons also don't work in the bootloader, but they work fine when the phone is on. It is weird that these two hardware functions don't work in the bootloader but work fine in the OS. Could this be a software problem in the bootloader itself?

Setting.Out
Old
Thanks Meter 1,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by red_skittles View Post
I have an old Nexus S that runs painfully slow. No amount of factory resetting helps so I want to perform a full wipe with a clean factory image install and unlock the bootloader while I am at it. I am using the Nexus Root Toolkit and the drivers have installed and are working correctly. However, once my phone reboots into the bootloader USB does not seem to be detected and the operation fails. Starting with my phone on with USB debugging enabled, I have no problem using the ADB quick tools in the Nexus Toolkit to list devices and reboot via ADB. Performing a full driver test runs fine until the phone reboots to the bootloader, then I get a fastboot error. Also, in the bootloader beneath the boot options near the bottom of the screen is this text:

Code:
USB Control Init
USB Control Init end
Another stranger thing is that the volume buttons also don't work in the bootloader, but they work fine when the phone is on. It is weird that these two hardware functions don't work in the bootloader but work fine in the OS. Could this be a software problem in the bootloader itself?
(These are only suggestions)

Try another cable, another usb point on the computer, unplugging and replugging the usb into the phone while in bootloader, try pressing the power button to reload the bootloader, try installing another driver from NRTK, try booting into the bootloader from a powered off state while connected to the computer.. Good luck
OnePlus ONE
NEVER SETTLE

rom: Modified Custom
kernel: AK
recovery: TWRP 2.7.1.1
Fl@sh@holic help thread

Click "thanks" for developers and anyone that helps you!!

red_skittles
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Setting.Out View Post
(These are only suggestions)

Try another cable, another usb point on the computer, unplugging and replugging the usb into the phone while in bootloader, try pressing the power button to reload the bootloader, try installing another driver from NRTK, try booting into the bootloader from a powered off state while connected to the computer.. Good luck
No luck with any of these suggestions. As a test I booted my Nexus 7 into the bootloader plugged in the USB. My PC immediately made the chime noise to let me know a USB device had been plugged in. This is not the case when the Nexus S is plugged in while in the bootloader. Windows Device Manager also doesn't recognize the NExus S when it is in the bootloader.

The fact that USB isn't a problem in the OS leads me to believe this isn't hardware related. Is there a way to update/reflash the bootloader from on the device without using fastboot?

Setting.Out
Old
Thanks Meter 1,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by red_skittles View Post
No luck with any of these suggestions. As a test I booted my Nexus 7 into the bootloader plugged in the USB. My PC immediately made the chime noise to let me know a USB device had been plugged in. This is not the case when the Nexus S is plugged in while in the bootloader. Windows Device Manager also doesn't recognize the NExus S when it is in the bootloader.

The fact that USB isn't a problem in the OS leads me to believe this isn't hardware related. Is there a way to update/reflash the bootloader from on the device without using fastboot?
I don't know if there is a phone bootloader update..?? Have you tried the "bricked" option?.. I am sure that you have already backed upp all your data, as unlocking the phone wipes it..
OnePlus ONE
NEVER SETTLE

rom: Modified Custom
kernel: AK
recovery: TWRP 2.7.1.1
Fl@sh@holic help thread

Click "thanks" for developers and anyone that helps you!!