Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,731 Members 50,515 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Weird problem with Nexus S...is it dead?

Tip us?

Enry_cami
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Weird problem with Nexus S...is it dead?

Hello everybody,
recently my brother's Nexus S started having problems. The battery life was awful and 4 days ago the power button stopped working. We were out, so i disabled the lockscreen. That way pressing the volume button would turn the screen on. This "trick" worked quite fine until yesterday, when the phone shut off, I don't know why (maybe the battery went out?). I tried to turn it on again, but there was no sign of life whatsoever. Not even volumeup+power button produced any effect. I then read on this forum and it looked like the motherboard is gone. Thinking that the phone was gone, I searched a way to recover photos and text messages from the phone(always remember to set a periodic backup). After a couple hours of pointless research, I gave up and went to sleep. I turned off the lights and I saw a flash. It was the Nexus S. So I filmed it and uploaded to youtube. Here's the link: http: // youtu.be/oGSVjElAwq0 (remove spaces) You can see the screen blinking a couple times(around 0:07 and 0:27). Maybe the phone is not completely dead and there is a way to recover that files or even save the device. Unfortunately I'm not expert, so I don't know how to proceed. Any help is appreciated. A big thanks in advance.

Enry_cami
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
bump

ej8989
Old
Thanks Meter 410
Hi, please try to answer these questions. Might help solve your problem.

When you plug the phone in, do the capacitive buttons light up?
Does your phone get recognized on your PC when you plug it in via usb?
Are you 100% sure this is not just a battery issue?
PHONE
Model: Nexus 5 D820 32GB Black
ROM: Mahdi 2.7 [4.4.4]
Boot Animation: ParanoidAndroid
Display Tweak: Nexus Display Control
Root / Unbrick / Return to stock: Wug's Nexus Root Toolkit

OTHER DEVICES
Nexus S i9023, CM11, Dead
Galaxy Ace Plus S7500, Speedmod Kitkat 4.4.2

Enry_cami
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Hi, thanks for your time
-No, the buttons do not light up.
-No, the phone does not get recognized by the computer(i tried Windows and Ubuntu)
-I can't exclude a battery problem, but ,even that, it should power up when connected, shouldn't it?