Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,779,990 Members 38,104 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Windows Phone 7 ROM for Nexus S GSM?

Tip us?

rpark91
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0

DONATE TO ME
Default [Q] Windows Phone 7 ROM for Nexus S GSM?

I'm wondering if it's possible to dual boot Windows Phone 7 and Android on Nexus S? It's been done on HD2. Just wondering why it hasn't been done for Nexus S. (unless if it's the sd card thing).

mathkid95
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 5,803

DONATE TO ME
Wrong section!

I do know of ubuntu on the nexus s, but idk about win7 on it LOL.

And it makes sense with win7 put on the hd2 since its a windows phone lol

But yeah, you need to move this to q and a ;D

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using XDA App
The Following User Says Thank You to mathkid95 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

apreichner
Old
Thanks Meter 222
It is really impractical for one thing. The hd2 was a windows mobile device with a completely different bootloader. I believe they were able to use a modified bootloader to do it. We would need to somehow port over the bootloader from the Samsung focus. Unfortunately modifying bootloaders is very dangerous. If it doesn't work you brick. We would brick a lot of devices. So with the price we pay for the bricked phones we might as well buy a Samsung focus.

Sent from my Nexus S using XDA Premium App

graphreak
Old
Thanks Meter 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpark91 View Post
I'm wondering if it's possible to dual boot Windows Phone 7 and Android on Nexus S? It's been done on HD2. Just wondering why it hasn't been done for Nexus S. (unless if it's the sd card thing).
Wrong section perhaps for such a question?
The basic approach, or concept if you may, in my opinion, is completely opposite.
Like comparing apples to oranges.
HD2 is a Windows Phone to which Android was ported for dual-boot.
Where as, Nexus S is an Android phone and to port Windows Phone 7 to it would be an entirely different ball game.
Even to try dual booting.
Doubt if it'd be a worthwhile effort.
One can never really say.
Probably a far better idea to try and port Android to the Samsung Focus than do Phone 7 on the Nexus S.
<E71><G1><TP2><N1><N900><HD7><NS><G2x><N9><GT-i9300><SGH-T889><SGH-M919><RM-877><D851>

bsbokc
Old
Thanks Meter 88

DONATE TO ME
As soon as you can talk Microsoft into open-sourcing the WP7 platform it will be done. The main reason Android was ported to the HD2 is because Android is open source and it made it possible.
Current phone: Samsung Captivate

Previously: HTC HD2, Google Nexus S, HTC Inspire 4G, Dell Streak, Blackberry 9000, T-Mobile G2, myTouch 4G, Samsung Focus, iPhone 3GS & 2G, Samsung Infuse, HTC Evo 4G, Samsung Captivate, Samsung Vibrant, Samsung Mesmerize, HTC Desire, Blackberry Torch. And that is just for 2011

ragnarokx
Old
Thanks Meter 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsbokc View Post
As soon as you can talk Microsoft into open-sourcing the WP7 platform it will be done. The main reason Android was ported to the HD2 is because Android is open source and it made it possible.
This idea has been proposed before on XDA for another phone, and the thread was shut down due to it being illegal.

ostvarivanje
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathkid95 View Post
I do know of ubuntu on the nexus s....
First of all sorry for my bad english.
Can you provide any information about port ubuntu in nexus s. Where is the progress and what can this serve?

mathkid95
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 5,803

DONATE TO ME
If you want this thread to stay you really need to move it or a mod will close it.

But here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=10486278

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using XDA App

tw1nz
Old
Thanks Meter 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpark91 View Post
I dont think there is dev enough to do that, and i think we need the SD card to Dual boot. Bot maybe its possible to port WP7, but we need a dev that want to work on it.

But hey! Its sound awesome to have WP7 on NS, is miss it alot from my old HD2 (sold now )

dario3040
Old
Thanks Meter 157
Yes it is possible.

Delete System32

Tags
android, nexus, nexus s, windows, windows phone rom