[FIX] Blank Screen On Boot (format sys_boot)

Search This thread

xWaLeEdOoOx

May 7, 2011
Riyadh
BLACK SCREEN ON BOOT ISSUE FIX​

First of all Big thanks to my dear friend Ano11 for the bootloader image

If you format /sys_boot by mistake from CWM recovery and you end up with Black screen no NOKIA and only Vibrating and cant fix it on NOKIA Care Suite or NOKIA Flasher this is how to fix it.

Human Beings Issue Details:
by formatting /sys_boot you have deleted the program that will connect your phone to NOKIA Care Suite so it will no longer recognize your phone neither any NOKIA Flasher and now this is how bring it back to let the NOKIA Care recognize it again.

Alians Tech Details about issue:
formatting /sys_boot removes the bootloader which has fastboot, the device will no longer be a phone it'll be just a flash memory with alot of partitions accessible from any linux device. and since the /sys_boot is located on /dev/block/mmcblk0p3 we just need to restore a bootloader image there and it will restore fastboot that will fix everything then with NOKIA Care or NOKIA Flasher etc. "WE HAVE ADB WORKING DO ANYTHING YOU WANT!!!!!!"

Now to how to fix it!!!

Requirements:
1- Ubuntu Live CD (Dont use any other variation or another Linux because i ONLY Tested it on Ubuntu)
2- Download Attachment File.
3- A Good USB cable( i strongly recommend the original cable to avoid problems)

Steps to FIX:
1- Boot up in a Working Ubuntu (or Ubuntu Live CD)
2- Download and extract the attachment in Home Folder
3- Open up Ubuntu Menu and look up (Disks)
4- Remove your NOKIA X Battery and Unplug it from any USB or charger, re-insert battery, then hold Power button untill phone Vibrates then release power button. after you do all that plug it in USB to your computer
** if you have done those steps perfectly you should see a new device in (Disks) application will say(something-qualcomm-something) depends on the type of your phone. you will see a table on the right when you click it that has 3 partitions and then many other partitions grouped up don't touch these at all**
5- click on the third partition from left it should be in size of 52MB.
6- right click it and choose (Restore Disk from an Image).
7- Browse to your Home folder then in (NOKIA X RM980 BOOTLOADER) and choose mmcblk0p3.img
8- it will ask you if you are sure click Restore.
9-Wait for it to finish. when it does close Disks then unplug phone, remove battery, re-insert it, power up your phone.

BANG NOKIA APPEARS!!! The phone is back to life!!! no cloning needed and no NOKIA Care Center Needed. you can now use NOKIA Flasher and NOKIA Care Suite to restore your phone to factory firmware or use XDA Furoms to install CWM back and your favorite Custom ROM

UPDATE

You guys have asked me for the Backup procedure and i promissed to repost it but I did not have time to post so i'm very very sorry for being late!!

How to back up the bootloader partition

start up your nokia x RM-980, enable debugging, connect to USB and find an ADB then give it next comand:

Code:
adb shell
you should be in your phone shell. then:

Code:
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p3 of=/sdcard/mmcblk0p3.img
that will backup your bootloader as mmcblk0p3.img in root of your sdcard

Last edited:

nguyentuyen

Apr 10, 2015
Hello guys!

since we all do mistakes, i alongside alot of people have formatted /sys_boot partition on our dear RM-980.
that partition is actually the bootloader and without it the phone bricks.
the signs of that brick is black and no screen lights but a vibration that indecates "PLEASE HELP ME!!"
connecting it to windows will cause seeing a drive that windows can't detect and it will ask to format it which is the worst IDEA EVER!! and fastboot will never detect the phone.
if plugged in to Linux you'll get full control over all phone partitions including internal SD, system, boot, bootloader etc.
its easy to flash images from linux side using gparted or "disks in ubuntu which i use" but also fastboot can't be used.

all we need is an mmcblk0p3 dump to save all dead NOKIA X lives!!

it can be easily done on ADB on any computer if you are willing to help follow the following easy steps:

start up your nokia x RM-980, enable debugging, connect to USB and find an ADB then give it next comand:
Code:
adb shell

Code:

now compress that in a zip and donate it here with your phone CODE (you can find it in the back of your phone)
I will collect the bootloaders for all the CODEs you people will send.
i don't think there will be much diffrence between them but.. we need to archive that since Microsoft is banning everything NOKIA X related out there!!
Thank you very much in advance
How to flash mmcblk0p3.img on linux pro? Thanks.

nguyentuyen

Apr 10, 2015
i will make it easy for you but first i need to test it. so if you have a working bootloader for RM-980 please follow my steps and upload the image on google drive, mega or mediafire and share it with us. i need to test my theory before putting people in danger.
I use nokia X+ rm-1053,if you need i will upload it for you. Thanks

javidalana

Jun 17, 2015
my nokia x is no vibrate no boot no logo no blank screen no charging now is it porsib

If you format /sys_boot by mistake from CWM recovery and you end up with Black screen no NOKIA and only Vibrating and cant fix it on NOKIA Care Suite or NOKIA Flasher this is how to fix it.

by formatting /sys_boot you have deleted the program that will connect your phone to NOKIA Care Suite so it will no longer recognize your phone neither any NOKIA Flasher and now this is how bring it back to let the NOKIA Care recognize it again.

formatting /sys_boot removes the bootloader which has fastboot, the device will no longer be a phone it'll be just a flash memory with alot of partitions accessible from any linux device. and since the /sys_boot is located on /dev/block/mmcblk0p3 we just need to restore a bootloader image there and it will restore fastboot that will fix everything then with NOKIA Care or NOKIA Flasher etc. "WE HAVE ADB WORKING DO ANYTHING YOU WANT!!!!!!"

Now to how to fix it!!!

Requirements:
1- Ubuntu Live CD (Dont use any other variation or another Linux because i ONLY Tested it on Ubuntu)

Steps to FIX:
4- Remove your NOKIA X Battery and Unplug it from any USB or charger, re-insert battery, then hold Power button untill phone Vibrates then release power button. after you do all that plug it in USB to your computer
** if you have done those steps perfectly you should see a new device in (Disks) application will say(something-qualcomm-something) depends on the type of your phone. you will see a table on the right when you click it that has 3 partitions and then many other partitions grouped up don't touch these at all**
7- Browse to your Home folder then in (NOKIA X RM980 BOOTLOADER) and choose mmcblk0p3.img
9-Wait for it to finish. when it does close Disks then unplug phone, remove battery, re-insert it, power up your phone.

BANG NOKIA APPEARS!!! The phone is back to life!!! no cloning needed and no NOKIA Care Center Needed. you can now use NOKIA Flasher and NOKIA Care Suite to restore your phone to factory firmware or use XDA Furoms to install CWM back and your favorite Custom ROM
my noka x rm980 059W119 v2 no power on no vibrate no boot no blank screen not detecting in pc now is it porsibal to repair

Kunal111

Jun 11, 2015
Please give any video of whole process because i dont see that opetion you told right click on that partion and you will see restore data from disk...

please help me to live my nxl......

Last edited:

Ano11

Dec 1, 2010
Please give any video of whole process because i dont see that opetion you told right click on that partion and you will see restore data from disk...

please help me to live my nxl......
In case you do not see any partitions, In that case you have not only formatted ("emptied") this partition but removed all partitions, I assume. So you have to make a new partition (or even all partitions) prior to restoring the mmcblk0p3.img disk image. I have no experience with doing this on a phone (don't know how critical the location and order of partitions is), but I guess a partition listing of a working Nokia X will help you further. Later today when I am at home I hope I can post the partition listing for you.

Last edited:

Kunal111

Jun 11, 2015
Help me

I have one problem how to flash that mmcblk0p3.img on nokia x
i download all file alos ubuntu .

Last edited:

Ano11

Dec 1, 2010
I have one problem how to flash that mmcblk0p3.img on nokia x
i download all file alos ubuntu .
It might help if you describe exactly what you are doing...
Is your device recognized as Qualcomm something at all?
In order to get it recognized on my Windows computer as Qualcomm device, I have to boot into bootloader mode, i.e.:

BootLoader Mode:
1. Turn off your device
2. Remove wires and battery
3. Hold on Volume + Key while you connect USB
4. Device should be detected as Qualcomm CDMA Technologies MSM

(copied from http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2667572

So a different procedure as what the OP mentioned.
You so might try that on Ubuntu as well...

Kunal111

Jun 11, 2015
5-click on the third partition from left it should be in size of 52MB.

I'hv not done only this process......

please help me how to restore

Thanxx in advanced

Ano11

Dec 1, 2010
5-click on the third partition from left it should be in size of 52MB.

I'hv not done only this process......

please help me how to restore

Thanxx in advanced
Second attempt: Is your device recognized as a Qualcomm device? Do you see it in the device list on the left?

Ano11

Dec 1, 2010
Yes , but how can i flast that img file on 52mb partion
And do you see the 52 MB partition on the right? What happens if you select it and rightclick on it, do you see the option "Restore partition from image" or something similar?
It helps if you post in detail what your problem is, otherwise we end up in many question-answer posts... Like we are doing now...

Ano11

Dec 1, 2010

Hi there,

First of all: thanks for the acknowledgements :) :)

This morning my son came to me complaining that his Nokia X was not working anymore.
I checked it and: no recovery mode, no bootloader access. Black screen, no Nokia logo, no vibration (!).
I thought: would I need this thread and my own bootloader image now?? That would be a coincidence!
Connecting the phone to the pc using USB still resulted in "Qualcomm device detected", but nothing more.
Then I noticed that the battery felt a bit loose inside the phone, also I noticed a crack in the plastic cover of the phone.
A closer look to the battery connector of the phone showed that two of them were really bent!
So I opened the casing to have a better access to the connector (really very easy using a torx T5 screw driver), nowhere these terrible plastic clips to break off when you open the device like in other phone brands...
Using my reading glasses and a magnifying glass I bent the clips back -> the phone was revived.
I guess my son must have dropped the phone real hard which resulted in bending these clips...

So people, the take home message is: also check the battery connectors closely when you experience similar problems.

Last edited:
Reactions: xWaLeEdOoOx

Ano11

Dec 1, 2010
Can you tell me how to back up my bootloader to an img? I have Nokia_XL.
I'm on elementary OS Freya.
ADB and fastboot are installed successfully.
Take a look at the second post, you can find the procedure in the quotes from the orginal posting of the OP (the OP removed it later from his post).
@op / @ xWaLeEdOoOx : maybe good to add this the procedure to your post again.
You may need to check if the partition name is the same for the XL version, e.g. by looking at the TWRP log files.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Now to how to fix it!!!

Requirements:

Steps to FIX:

UPDATE

You guys have asked me for the Backup procedure and i promissed to repost it but I did not have time to post so i'm very very sorry for being late!!

How to back up the bootloader partition

Code:
    adb shell

Code:

I will collect the bootloaders for all the CODEs you people will send.
    i don't think there will be much diffrence between them but.. we need to archive that since Microsoft is banning everything NOKIA X related out there!!
    Thank you very much in advance

I uploaded my boot partition in this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2784522&page=2

Hi there,

First of all: thanks for the acknowledgements :) :)

This morning my son came to me complaining that his Nokia X was not working anymore.
    I checked it and: no recovery mode, no bootloader access. Black screen, no Nokia logo, no vibration (!).
    I thought: would I need this thread and my own bootloader image now?? That would be a coincidence!
    Connecting the phone to the pc using USB still resulted in "Qualcomm device detected", but nothing more.
    Then I noticed that the battery felt a bit loose inside the phone, also I noticed a crack in the plastic cover of the phone.
    A closer look to the battery connector of the phone showed that two of them were really bent!
    So I opened the casing to have a better access to the connector (really very easy using a torx T5 screw driver), nowhere these terrible plastic clips to break off when you open the device like in other phone brands...
    Using my reading glasses and a magnifying glass I bent the clips back -> the phone was revived.
    I guess my son must have dropped the phone real hard which resulted in bending these clips...

So people, the take home message is: also check the battery connectors closely when you experience similar problems.
    For some reason, My phone is not recognised, I can't flash anything. ALL what I did is flash a custom Rom and it didn't boot, stayed at Nokia logo so I entered Twrp and restored a backup I previously made just before installing the Rom, now I can't enter Twrp and All what I have is Nokia logo and device not recognised, I think it was recognized as Qualcomm device (9006) and Windows wants me to format it

So it's struck at bootloader. Download stock boot.img, system.img and recovery.img from http://cellomania.com/ffu/ and flash them with fastboot (commands are in this thread: https://xdaforums.com/nokia-x/general/tutorial-how-to-flash-nokia-x-stock-rom-t3410286 )