Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,784,212 Members 42,660 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] When will we get L?

Tip us?

BrownDog.c
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Question [Q] When will we get L?

How soon can we expect to get "L" ? Will it be CM12?
I wonder what the cute name is, how about Lemon drop?

dombeef
Old
Thanks Meter 17
I can guarantee you it will be no earlier than when ever cm12(or what ever the cyanogenmod team calls it) comes out.

But also, dont forget that the nook color is a 4 year old device, pretty old by tablet and android standards. Im still surprised that they got cm 11 working okay-ish on it(kudos to the development team, amazingly you are still keeping this old tablet alive). And also dont forget that android L completely ditched the dalvik runtime, leaving only the ART runtime for all devices. The last time I checked the development page for the nook, didnt they have issues with ART, something ram related maybe? They are working with a single core 512 Mb s of ram tablet, even cheap tablets nowadays come with a dual core cpu, and at the minimum 512 Mb(most likely 1 Gb at this point) of ram. The nook may be able to run android L, but it could possibly get too laggy for any real use, unless if the development team can get it stable again at higher cpu speeds.

unibroker
Old
Thanks Meter 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownDog.c View Post
How soon can we expect to get "L" ? Will it be CM12?
I wonder what the cute name is, how about Lemon drop?
At least way out from http://www.cyanogenmod.org/blog/the-l-is-for-later
Motherboard Serial #: QI11M9FY3FL
Manufacture Date: 02/15/2011
CPU Revision: OMAP3630 ES1.2
Touchscreen Type: cyttsp

BrownDog.c
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by dombeef View Post
I can guarantee you it will be no earlier than when ever cm12(or what ever the cyanogenmod team calls it) comes out.

But also, dont forget that the nook color is a 4 year old device, pretty old by tablet and android standards. Im still surprised that they got cm 11 working okay-ish on it(kudos to the development team, amazingly you are still keeping this old tablet alive). And also dont forget that android L completely ditched the dalvik runtime, leaving only the ART runtime for all devices. The last time I checked the development page for the nook, didnt they have issues with ART, something ram related maybe? They are working with a single core 512 Mb s of ram tablet, even cheap tablets nowadays come with a dual core cpu, and at the minimum 512 Mb(most likely 1 Gb at this point) of ram. The nook may be able to run android L, but it could possibly get too laggy for any real use, unless if the development team can get it stable again at higher cpu speeds.

Are you saying that support for NC is about to end? I had hoped that L would be
tuned for small memory devices like by beloved NC.

What is the best version of CM for the NC? I mostly use it for G news and G mail.