Ask a question

No registration required

Change DPI for faster and smoother Nook HD+ with CM 10

OP samomamo

2nd July 2013, 01:20 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 239

1,001 posts
Hi, I changed the DPI from 240 on original CM10 to 480 or 320 (320 I think is much better) and the NHD+ is running much smoother and all the icons, fonts, look right.

If anyone interested try. With root explorer go to system, find build.prop, open it with text editor, change the density DPI from 240 to 320 save and exit, reboot and done. Or get a density changeling app from Google play.

Sent from my HD+
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1372763998799.jpg
Views:	1076
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	2085899  
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to samomamo For This Useful Post: [ View ]
2nd July 2013, 04:28 PM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 3,677

8,379 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by samomamo

Hi, I changed the DPI from 240 on original CM10 to 480 or 320 (320 I think is much better) and the NHD+ is running much smoother and all the icons, fonts, look right.

If anyone interested try. With root explorer go to system, find build.prop, open it with text editor, change the density DPI from 240 to 320 save and exit, reboot and done. Or get a density changeling app from Google play.

Sent from my HD+

Maybe that is why I never suffer any of the issues that others suffer. I have run at 320 since the first verygreen CM10/CM10.1's came out months ago. It is just the way I like it since my first tablet was a Galaxy Tab 7" and the icon and text sizes match that.

Sent from my Nook HD+ running CM10.1 on emmc.
2nd July 2013, 08:37 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 19

57 posts
Smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by samomamo

Wow, after running on 240 for so long, changing to 320 makes everything seem magnified...like, so my grandma could read it. Also less real-estate to work with.

I think i prefer 240, but thanks for the tip.
2nd July 2013, 09:31 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 315

3,265 posts
I guess a one third increase would look pretty big. I like the current size, but can appreciate others liking bigger. Not noticing the unsmooth issue with Nova, but DID notice it with the default launcher in CM 10.1 and also with stock 2.1 (even when using Nova).
3rd July 2013, 02:31 AM   |  #5  
Recognized Contributor
TN
Thanks Meter: 2,588

1,289 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by rushless

I guess a one third increase would look pretty big. I like the current size, but can appreciate others liking bigger. Not noticing the unsmooth issue with Nova, but DID notice it with the default launcher in CM 10.1 and also with stock 2.1 (even when using Nova).

We are running omap4470 at the far end of it's capabilities, it seems. Same sort of issues are present in Kindle Fire HD 8.9 (also omap4470 chip with 1920x1200 panel).
There are no problems in stock launcher on Nook HD that has same 4470 chip, but much smaller 1440x900 panel.
The Following User Says Thank You to verygreen For This Useful Post: [ View ]
3rd July 2013, 03:27 AM   |  #6  
Recognized Developer
Flag Cocoa Beach
Thanks Meter: 3,304

3,067 posts
Donate to Me
More
It's a lot more pixels to push around, I noticed it on the HD+ as soon as I picked it up compared to the HD.
Usually even overclocking the CPU has little effect, but if we can oc the gpu and make it scalable it might actually make a difference.
I still need to learn more about omap chips, there doesn't appear to be a freq table like with msm chips, maybe I'm looking in the wrong places though. Can't even find any relevant commits on github, but again I'm probably looking in the wrong places.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium
The Following User Says Thank You to killersloth For This Useful Post: [ View ]
3rd July 2013, 04:53 AM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 315

3,265 posts
Tegra 3 has the same issue, based on TF700 performance and Anandtech analysis. They actually found the 4470 more capable as far as cpu (this explains why HD+ is better with MAME) and for Flash and web browsing.

I prefer the HD+ with CM over the TF700 and stock Asus firmware. Seriously, and I am a picky person.
Last edited by rushless; 3rd July 2013 at 04:56 AM.
3rd July 2013, 04:59 AM   |  #8  
Recognized Contributor
TN
Thanks Meter: 2,588

1,289 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by killersloth

It's a lot more pixels to push around, I noticed it on the HD+ as soon as I picked it up compared to the HD.
Usually even overclocking the CPU has little effect, but if we can oc the gpu and make it scalable it might actually make a difference.
I still need to learn more about omap chips, there doesn't appear to be a freq table like with msm chips, maybe I'm looking in the wrong places though. Can't even find any relevant commits on github, but again I'm probably looking in the wrong places.

it's in ach/arm/mach-omap2/opp4xxx_data.c, sadly a lot of them are running from a fixed clock so there's no easy way to actually bump them.
If we switch dpll_per clock for dpll_core for clocking bb2d and sgx cores, that should yield about 4% boost, that's about the easiest thing I see, though so far kernel does not want to agree with me about changing the parent clock
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to verygreen For This Useful Post: [ View ]
3rd July 2013, 01:43 PM   |  #9  
Flag Weymouth
Thanks Meter: 245

1,261 posts
More
Anyone know if it is possible to change DPI on rooted stock?
3rd July 2013, 01:58 PM   |  #10  
Flag Riverside
Thanks Meter: 19

155 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpisini

Anyone know if it is possible to change DPI on rooted stock?

On my HD I had ROM Toolbox I used that to edit DPI while on stock. When I reboot the device however was still the same. I would suggest a app from google play since you have root.
"dpi changer"

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app

The Following User Says Thank You to CubeCloudOS For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread