Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,772,106 Members 40,712 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Stock Rom Faster?

Tip us?

krsboimo0o0o
Old
Thanks Meter 2
I had the stock ROM with some the mods such as rooted and install unknown apps. I was happy with it but once I tried cm10.1 yellow kernel or the cm10.2 with the archdroid optimizations, I will never go back. I would recommend cm10.2 with the archdroid optimizations unless over clocking is important to you. If OC is important check out the yellow kernel ROM.

Sent from my BN NookHD+ using XDA Free mobile app

Darrian
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by justwondering View Post
hmmmm i was just pondering , how much faster cm11 will be compared with stock rom , just bought a HD+ , browsing is a bit sluggish and choppy when zooming in and out , using a fairly low level browser called Boat browser , i use the same browser on my Samsung Note 3 and its spot on nice and fast........i was hoping CM11 when i install it tomorrow would make quite a lot of difference .....seems as if it might not be based on the messages above !!!
I used to use Boat, too, but now I use Javelin. I recommend you check it out. Also make sure you run trim after you get everything installed and set up; it could make a difference.

brentil
Old
Thanks Meter 43
I think on the HD+ there's something wrong with the video driver. Because I agree as well that with CM11 (any version M or nightly) the OS seems more responsive but video transitions and anything involving the screen updates is a dog. Try playing games like PvZ or some others with specific types of video needs and it's just a wreck. I made a video to highlight my Nook HD+ vs Kindle Fire (first generation slow as dirt) with the KF boot screen making the HD+ cry. You can see when I page back left after paging right the HD+ stutters trying to load the mostly empty page too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEJK-VUZunk

G2x Benchmark Comparisons - über car dock setup G2x - Note II/Note 3

swaaye
Old
(Last edited by swaaye; 3rd August 2014 at 10:35 PM.)
Thanks Meter 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentil View Post
I think on the HD+ there's something wrong with the video driver. Because I agree as well that with CM11 (any version M or nightly) the OS seems more responsive but video transitions and anything involving the screen updates is a dog. Try playing games like PvZ or some others with specific types of video needs and it's just a wreck. I made a video to highlight my Nook HD+ vs Kindle Fire (first generation slow as dirt) with the KF boot screen making the HD+ cry. You can see when I page back left after paging right the HD+ stutters trying to load the mostly empty page too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEJK-VUZunk
Nook HD+ has a 1920x1280 LCD. That's a lot of pixels to render and it is a bit too much for the TI OMAP 4470 to bear it seems. Most high performance computers don't even render that many pixels.
Nook HD+
Venue 8 Pro

brentil
Old
Thanks Meter 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by swaaye View Post
Nook HD+ has a 1920x1280 LCD. That's a lot of pixels to render and it is a bit too much for the TI OMAP 4470 to bear it seems. Most high performance computers don't even render that many pixels
The Kindle Fire HD 8.9" uses the same CPU/GPU and it doesn't have issues doing the same tasks. As the OP stated too the stock rom handles the load better too. I really believe we have a driver or memory management issue.

swaaye
Old
(Last edited by swaaye; 3rd August 2014 at 10:48 PM.)
Thanks Meter 44
Quote:
The Kindle Fire HD 8.9" uses the same CPU/GPU and it doesn't have issues doing the same tasks. As the OP stated too the stock rom handles the load better too. I really believe we have a driver or memory management issue.
Could be. Jon Lee of the Yellow Kernel thread has done some changes to the PowerVR and Vivante GPU drivers but it hasn't really changed much as far as I can tell.

He also suggested using the "Force GPU rendering" setting in developer options but that has some caveats. It forces apps that aren't configured to use GPU rendering to do so, but forcing things doesn't always work out as you'd like. Some apps use the GPU(s) already.

We have smart people working on the kernels here and if whatever causes the graphics lag was obvious/addressable it would probably be gone. I am positive that resolution is part of the problem. I've used lower end OMAP4 devices like Nook Tablet with 1024x600 and they were much smoother.
Nook HD+
Venue 8 Pro

sandsofmyst
Old
Thanks Meter 63
Quote:
Try playing games like PvZ or some others with specific types of video needs and it's just a wreck.
Games aren't a really good way of deciding what's happening.

They can have different quality settings that there's generally no menu for, so its automatic picking for quality. Historically at least, Real Racing 3 would pick it wrongly and thus the game would have bad framerate on the nook hd+ needing use of a 3rd party app to force the game to lower graphics quality.
Moto G 4G | latest official rom 4.4.3 (Longest recorded uptime: 188+ hours)
Nook HD+ 32 | cm11 emmc official rom (Longest recorded uptime: 331 hours with much daily use)

brentil
Old
Thanks Meter 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsofmyst View Post
Games aren't a really good way of deciding what's happening.
I typically agree with this statement but if you view the video I posted in my other thread about this topic it's clearly apparent that an old as dirt, 1 GHz, 512mb, very first generation Android tablet running the exact same OS release smacked the crap out of the HD+. The Nook HD+ as is, is an embarrassing device running the non-default OS. The point of this is to ensure someone is aware of this and to see if anything can be done about it.

The Following User Says Thank You to brentil For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ChezzyDog
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I haven't tried an emmc install of cm, only dual boot Jelly Bean and KitKat sd cards. But they break some of my regularly used apps, hence no emmc install.

But what I haave found is replacing the stock launcher with Holo launcher really speeds up stock. And Swapps task switcher lets you access recent apps. I'm not sure how it compares to an internal install of cm though, but I'm happy enough with performance.