OP gugman

19th August 2014, 09:23 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Tbilisi
Thanks Meter: 25

137 posts
More
Hi all

my quick question would be if our device is capable of full hd streaming (not playing some mkv and etc from sd card) but just streaming full hd channels via iptv app, thing is that my tv provider has also iptv option that works perfectly on my pc, laptop, set-top box, but on my nook hd plus i am able only watch sd channels, all hd channels are absolutely non-watchable, i tried almost all players with all kind of hw/sw settings, but no luck, so now i am thinking maybe it is just a hardware limitation?

thanks in advance for any help
22nd August 2014, 09:42 AM   |  #2  
OP Senior Member
Flag Tbilisi

137 posts
More
anyone?
25th August 2014, 06:07 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 78

306 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gugman

anyone?

About the closest thing I can think of here is splashtop streaming @ 1080p playing a video from my desktop which works fine.

It could be that their full hd stream is simply higher bitrate where the tablet falters like you say.

Splashtop is an rdp client/server so it could possibly be better tuned than just regular video streaming. So you could actually play the stream on your desktop and watch it on the tablet that way but it would be electricity cost of both running and not being able to use the desktop as well (other than watching the video stream there as well).

Plex or similiar, may lower the electricity cost (may still require use of the desktop, though idk my use of plex is extremely limited thus far) and allow use of the pc at the same time, if it can stream that. You would have to research that however.

Unsure how else it could be done.
Last edited by sandsofmyst; 25th August 2014 at 06:16 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to sandsofmyst For This Useful Post: [ View ]
2nd September 2014, 05:19 PM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Tbilisi

137 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsofmyst

About the closest thing I can think of here is splashtop streaming @ 1080p playing a video from my desktop which works fine.

It could be that their full hd stream is simply higher bitrate where the tablet falters like you say.

Splashtop is an rdp client/server so it could possibly be better tuned than just regular video streaming. So you could actually play the stream on your desktop and watch it on the tablet that way but it would be electricity cost of both running and not being able to use the desktop as well (other than watching the video stream there as well).

Plex or similiar, may lower the electricity cost (may still require use of the desktop, though idk my use of plex is extremely limited thus far) and allow use of the pc at the same time, if it can stream that. You would have to research that however.

Unsure how else it could be done.

Thank you very much for your detailed description, but that is no solution for me
4th September 2014, 12:54 AM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 78

306 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gugman

Thank you very much for your detailed description, but that is no solution for me

There are times when you can only workaround the problem but I hope you find a solution that does exactly what your wanting it to do.

A solution that is closer to what your wanting would be a different tablet better suited for the providers android app needs. If there's a way to use the nook instead, it might not be possible without a workaround.

All assuming that the app works well on more powerful tablets.

The late addition: I was just reminded of the fact that this device only pulls down ~4MBps max over wifi and could potentially hit a bottleneck there on high bandwidth streams which I'm sure there are. Even though its along the line of what was said before, I felt like clarifying it a bit further.

For instance of a workaround to that, a tablet with better wifi hardware would improve that issue such as one with dual antennas (mimo) though the router wifi or wifi ap needs to support it as well. So that could potentially be the exact answer you were looking for.
Last edited by sandsofmyst; 10th September 2014 at 05:53 AM.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread