Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,777,893 Members 50,621 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] my Nook HD+ is BRICKED after flashing 4.4.2. HELP!

Tip us?

PMikeP
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob00 View Post
Thank you for the reply. I was not able to get into the internal recovery, even thought I installed CDW into the memory. I was able to do that by pressing n ad power together, and releasing power before the n. but now, it gets stuck on the cynogemod.
That happened to me a couple days ago after I flashed Succulent's ROM over CM11.

It wouldn't always boot to recovery with the n and power combo, but after trying a few times, it did. Once there, I restored my backup.

So keep trying.

CHD Dad
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default 1480

This just happened to me. My Nook was charging and I walked by and it was turned on with the nook logo displayed. Its stuck. If I reboot it just gets stuck on the nook logo. If I reboot holding the n and power button I can get to the cyanoboot splash screen and then it freezes. If I try booting from SD card I get the same boot splash screen and freezes.

I dont get it. It was working fantastic for two days since flashing. It has been charged several times, all I did was try and charge it and its bricked!

leapinlar
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3608

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHD Dad View Post
This just happened to me. My Nook was charging and I walked by and it was turned on with the nook logo displayed. Its stuck. If I reboot it just gets stuck on the nook logo. If I reboot holding the n and power button I can get to the cyanoboot splash screen and then it freezes. If I try booting from SD card I get the same boot splash screen and freezes.

I dont get it. It was working fantastic for two days since flashing. It has been charged several times, all I did was try and charge it and its bricked!
Have you tried other SDs or other versions of CWM? Sometimes the device can be very finicky to boot.

Sent from my BN NookHD+ using XDA Premium HD app
See my Nook Color Tips Thread here,
and my Nook Color EMMC Partition Repair Thread here,
and my Nook Color Updated CM SD Installation Instructions here,
and my Nook HD/HD+ stock tips thread here
and my Nook HD/HD+ CWM Root Tools thread here
e.mote's Nook HD/HD+ Dummies Guide for installing CM10.1/CM10.2/CM11 here

CHD Dad
Old
(Last edited by CHD Dad; 14th July 2014 at 03:11 PM.)
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by leapinlar View Post
Have you tried other SDs or other versions of CWM? Sometimes the device can be very finicky to boot.

Sent from my BN NookHD+ using XDA Premium HD app
I have tried 3 different cards and I have tried several versions of CWM including a no-emmc version. All just freeze at the bootloader screen except the no-emmc version. I can load that version but it freezes when trying to progress from the menu. I tried very early versions to the latest and greatest and all freeze.

I've shelved it for now, its not worth the frustration. I almost took a hammer to it last night!

Appreciate the help though! I'll probably try again in a few days when I am not so tempted to toss it out the window.

I have tried your tips in your threads including looking for the no-emmc version.

rob00
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thank you everyone who have posted suggestions. I have followed your suggestions left and right. However, I am still stuck with this problem. I tried, and re-tried, and re-tried many, many, many times, with different SD cards, with different versions, including all my past image back ups. Still freezes at the nook boot screen or Cyonogem boot screen. SO frustrating.

I cannot believe that nobody who had this problem were able to find a solution. Specially, has any brilliant hacker figured out how to flash the nook via the USB cord from the computer? Since the nook in problem cannot boot from the internal memory nor the SD Card, the only other way in would be to force a re-flash via the USB cable from the computer. A hard hack, since normally the nook would have to be booted to receive connection from the USB cable from the computer. But if an imaginative hacker could figure a way to force the re-flash via the USB cable, it would be a great feat!

IF there is no solution at all, anyone knows of a way to use the Retina screen from the nook for other purposes? Maybe re-purpose it as a screen for a Raspberry-Pi or an Arduino project? It would probably mean opening up the bricked nook and harvest the beautiful retina screen, but I rather do that than throw away this bricked nook.

URRGGHH!!!

Jon Lee
Old
(Last edited by Jon Lee; 22nd July 2014 at 04:40 PM.)
Thanks Meter 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob00 View Post
Thank you everyone who have posted suggestions. I have followed your suggestions left and right. However, I am still stuck with this problem. I tried, and re-tried, and re-tried many, many, many times, with different SD cards, with different versions, including all my past image back ups. Still freezes at the nook boot screen or Cyonogem boot screen. SO frustrating.

I cannot believe that nobody who had this problem were able to find a solution. Specially, has any brilliant hacker figured out how to flash the nook via the USB cord from the computer? Since the nook in problem cannot boot from the internal memory nor the SD Card, the only other way in would be to force a re-flash via the USB cable from the computer. A hard hack, since normally the nook would have to be booted to receive connection from the USB cable from the computer. But if an imaginative hacker could figure a way to force the re-flash via the USB cable, it would be a great feat!

IF there is no solution at all, anyone knows of a way to use the Retina screen from the nook for other purposes? Maybe re-purpose it as a screen for a Raspberry-Pi or an Arduino project? It would probably mean opening up the bricked nook and harvest the beautiful retina screen, but I rather do that than throw away this bricked nook.

URRGGHH!!!

Fastboot recovery for Ovation:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/yk...ovation.tar.gz

This is just a continuation of:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2273603

To make a bootable sd, partition fat32 with gparted (or at least with linux, windows partition tools mostly don't work properly), set the boot flag.

Extract the files. Copy MLO first to the SD, and then u-boot.bin and uImage. Test boot the sd, should say "entering fastboot..."

The next step involves your linux host. If you don't have one, try a live USB distro.

Copy the fastboot binary into your path or working directory. You may have to chown it to your user and/or chmod +x.

You will need to place a line in /etc/udev/rules.d/51-android.rules
Code:
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="0451", ATTR{idProduct}=="d022", MODE="0666", GROUP=""
Then you will need to reboot the host or restart udev for the rule to take affect.

Lastly, test fastboot.

Code:
bash-4.2$ fastboot
usage: fastboot [ <option> ] <command>

commands:
  update <filename>                        reflash device from update.zip
  flashall                                 flash boot + recovery + system
  flash <partition> [ <filename> ]         write a file to a flash partition
  erase <partition>                        erase a flash partition
  getvar <variable>                        display a bootloader variable
  boot <kernel> [ <ramdisk> ]              download and boot kernel
  flash:raw boot <kernel> [ <ramdisk> ]    create bootimage and flash it
  devices                                  list all connected devices
  reboot                                   reboot device normally
  reboot-bootloader                        reboot device into bootloader

options:
  -w                                       erase userdata and cache
  -s <serial number>                       specify device serial number
  -p <product>                             specify product name
  -c <cmdline>                             override kernel commandline
  -i <vendor id>                           specify a custom USB vendor id
  -b <base_addr>                           specify a custom kernel base address
bash-4.2$ fastboot devices
3024550263104319        fastboot
bash-4.2$ fastboot flash boot boot.img
sending 'boot' (4532 KB)... OKAY
writing 'boot'... OKAY
bash-4.2$ fastboot reboot
rebooting... 
bash-4.2$
Edit: Two things I would leave alone for now would be 'update update.zip' and reboot-bootloader. The nook sd boot will give a list of emmc partitions. I would individually repair the ones I thought corrupt. Some need to be left alone..

rob00
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Lee View Post
Fastboot recovery for Ovation:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/yk...ovation.tar.gz

This is just a continuation of:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2273603

To make a bootable sd, partition fat32 with gparted (or at least with linux, windows partition tools mostly don't work properly), set the boot flag.

Extract the files. Copy MLO first to the SD, and then u-boot.bin and uImage. Test boot the sd, should say "entering fastboot..."

The next step involves your linux host. If you don't have one, try a live USB distro.

Copy the fastboot binary into your path or working directory. You may have to chown it to your user and/or chmod +x.

You will need to place a line in /etc/udev/rules.d/51-android.rules
Code:
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="0451", ATTR{idProduct}=="d022", MODE="0666", GROUP=""
Then you will need to reboot the host or restart udev for the rule to take affect.

Lastly, test fastboot.

Code:
bash-4.2$ fastboot
usage: fastboot [ <option> ] <command>

commands:
  update <filename>                        reflash device from update.zip
  flashall                                 flash boot + recovery + system
  flash <partition> [ <filename> ]         write a file to a flash partition
  erase <partition>                        erase a flash partition
  getvar <variable>                        display a bootloader variable
  boot <kernel> [ <ramdisk> ]              download and boot kernel
  flash:raw boot <kernel> [ <ramdisk> ]    create bootimage and flash it
  devices                                  list all connected devices
  reboot                                   reboot device normally
  reboot-bootloader                        reboot device into bootloader

options:
  -w                                       erase userdata and cache
  -s <serial number>                       specify device serial number
  -p <product>                             specify product name
  -c <cmdline>                             override kernel commandline
  -i <vendor id>                           specify a custom USB vendor id
  -b <base_addr>                           specify a custom kernel base address
bash-4.2$ fastboot devices
3024550263104319        fastboot
bash-4.2$ fastboot flash boot boot.img
sending 'boot' (4532 KB)... OKAY
writing 'boot'... OKAY
bash-4.2$ fastboot reboot
rebooting... 
bash-4.2$
Edit: Two things I would leave alone for now would be 'update update.zip' and reboot-bootloader. The nook sd boot will give a list of emmc partitions. I would individually repair the ones I thought corrupt. Some need to be left alone..
Wow, I don't yet know what all this is, but thank you for such a dedicated post. I will get to work and implement your solutions, but I just wanted to thank you before I even start . Thank you, and I will post back here on my progress. Wow, what a glimpse of hope.

Tags
bricked nook hd+ nook hd plus unbrick help