Full Root for Nook Glowlight

187 posts
Thanks Meter: 185
By N00b-un-2, Senior Member on 20th August 2014, 06:06 AM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
28th September 2015, 04:25 PM |#61  
Thanks Meter: 0
Can't root my Nook Glowlight
I'm new in the forum and I need some help with my Nook Glowlight.
It drains the battery in five hours. It also freezes all the time when it goes to sleep. I've tried everything: new battery, turning off, hard reset, update software, erase & deregister...

When I turn it off or try hard reset, it freezes instantanely and stops working. When it happens, I have to wait at least two days to put it on charging.
I manually installed the software update 1.3.1, it didn't fix the problem. Next step was erase & deregister, it was succesfully, but my Nook continues working bad.

I read in this forum that rooting the Nook might be helpful. I read carefully all the thread, but the problem is running omaplink, cause then I have to connect my Nook completely turned off, and when I turned it off it stops working, so I can't continue.

Maybe somebody have any idea? Any help would be appreciated.
1st October 2015, 02:06 PM |#62  
Recognized Contributor / Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 925
Can you boot it on Noogie on an SD card and make a full (2 gig) backup?

Does an adb reboot work while connected to power on USB?

You can try using UsbMode.apk and letting it die. The screen it freezes on will show battery voltage and percentage.
Does UsbMode.apk indicate realistic temperatures (68F and not 30F or 110F)?
Are you sure that the replacement battery is the correct one?
6th October 2015, 08:34 PM |#63  
Thanks for all your instructions, Renate NST!

I bought the replacement battery on Amazon. It's an X-Longer, model No. CS-BNR003SL, Lithium Polymer, 3.7 VDC, Part No.DRNK03, S11ND018A. Both batteries, the new one and the original, seem to have the same problem, that's why I thought the problem was not the battery.

I know nothing about rooting, just need to fix my NGL. That's why probably I'm asking something it is obvious.

Finally, I did the complete root, just needed to let it die every time it was neccesary to reboot, and then wait patiently for the moment it began to charge again and restart. Already install superuser.apk, but I think now I need to install ADWlauncher.apk for apps to run ??

Anyway, the problem with power off remains, so i will try your suggestion about using USbmode.apk. I don't know what do I have to do: Install USB.apk using ADB??
14th November 2015, 08:34 PM |#64  
resizing nook partitions
Originally Posted by Mythra13

Thanks for the help, I've got it now. I guess I was more successful with it then I thought I was. I just needed to run it in noogie mode before connecting to it with gParted. I was able to do partitions without issue. I think what worked best for me was to delete the last four partitions, and then re-create them with the exact names and in the correct order. I created the NOOK partition as fat32 with over 2GB of space.

I still have a question that maybe someone here can answer.
What is the purpose of "cache" "reserve" and "userdata" ?
I understand that "userdata" is where Barnes & Noble books are stored, and probably some of the account information as well. Does it store information such as shelves that I create, or some other useful info?
I've shrank these three partitions to around 200MB each, and I just want to know if I will have an issue later on from doing that, or if maybe I didn't need to leave those as much space as I did. Just to mention, I plan to store loads and loads of ebooks on the device, and just use it for that purpose, no extra apps, no special modding.

Thank you for your time.

@Mythra13, even I am interested in resizing the partitions, but how to run the NGL in noogie mode?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Previous Thread Next Thread