Velocity is Like OpenTable on Steroids

We all enjoy a night out with friends or our significant other from time to time. However, there is … more

Android Lollipop Lands for the Sony Xperia Z Ultra

The undisputed king of the beasts–at least in Sony’s current stable,is the … more

Android 5.0 Lollipop in 3D–EVO 3D, That Is!

It is that time of the year once again. Flowers bloom (or snow falls, depending on which … more

Gaming Console with Lollipop? Ouya Gets an Android TV Port

Android is a very flexible platform, and it can be used on a large variety of … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] View the root system files on NST?

OP rdoherty47

15th July 2014, 05:50 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1

7 posts
I've rooted my NST using NookManager 0.5.0 and also installed the same version of NTGAppsAttack. I am extremely new to all of this.

Basically, before installing the AppsAttack (I think it was this install that triggered my problem), I was able to view the entire root directory of my Nook, (/system, etc) but now all I can view is /sdcard. Even when I remove the SD card, I still can't go up another level. How do I get back to be able to view all the root directories on my nook?

Thank you and sorry in advance if this is a stupid question - my searches proved fruitless

Edit: Also, while I'm on here (and this could be a related problem), when I plug my NST into my laptop via USB, I can't see the Nook. The NST is charging successfully, but I want to be able to see my NST's file structure.
Last edited by rdoherty47; 15th July 2014 at 05:58 PM. Reason: additional question
17th July 2014, 05:27 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 9

129 posts
If all you've done is root with NM and install the Google apps I don't know how you could have been able to see the entire root file structure when connected via USB (is that what you meant?).

The drivers installed when you connect your NST to your computer don't provide for this kind of file view, only for storage, both internal and external (i.e., the two sdcards). You would typically have to install an app (like Root Browser or Root Explorer) in order to examine the system structure.

So.....?
22nd July 2014, 06:31 AM   |  #3  
Flag West Haven
Thanks Meter: 29

149 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdoherty47

I've rooted my NST using NookManager 0.5.0 and also installed the same version of NTGAppsAttack. I am extremely new to all of this.

Basically, before installing the AppsAttack (I think it was this install that triggered my problem), I was able to view the entire root directory of my Nook, (/system, etc) but now all I can view is /sdcard. Even when I remove the SD card, I still can't go up another level. How do I get back to be able to view all the root directories on my nook?

Thank you and sorry in advance if this is a stupid question - my searches proved fruitless

Edit: Also, while I'm on here (and this could be a related problem), when I plug my NST into my laptop via USB, I can't see the Nook. The NST is charging successfully, but I want to be able to see my NST's file structure.

Edit: Also, while I'm on here (and this could be a related problem), when I plug my NST into my laptop via USB, I can't see the Nook. The NST is charging successfully, but I want to be able to see my NST's file structure.[/QUOTE]

You don't mention how you're trying to access the root directory. If you're using ReLaunch that was installed with NookManager, to change the launchers behavior from the home screen click on the gear in the upper right corner, this enters you into the settings menu, click on advanced settings, general settings, make sure that the don't leave start directory item is unchecked, go back and under file manager settings check show hidden files and uncheck hide known extensions. Back out again and in the main advanced settings menu scroll down and click on the save settings and restart item. You should be able to view anything on internal and external storage. As for Windows , unfortunately without 3rd party software it will only display the first partition on any external device.
OB
Last edited by OverByter; 22nd July 2014 at 06:34 AM.
22nd July 2014, 02:15 PM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1

7 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverByter

As for Windows , unfortunately without 3rd party software it will only display the first partition on any external device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmyshkin

If all you've done is root with NM and install the Google apps I don't know how you could have been able to see the entire root file structure when connected via USB (is that what you meant?).

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I can't view ANY file system, nothing, when I connect my Nook to my laptop (Windows).

As for viewing my root file system on the Nook, it is via ReLaunch and when I reset the settings I was able to view it.
12th August 2014, 05:01 AM   |  #5  
Account currently disabled
Flag Washington D.C. Goals: Become an RC
Thanks Meter: 498

763 posts
Donate to Me
More
Have you tried a reboot?
16th August 2014, 02:11 PM   |  #6  
Recognized Contributor / Recognized Developer
Boston
Thanks Meter: 814

1,999 posts
The Nook usually has two UMS (USB Mass Storage) volumes showing.
They will show up in Windows on the task bar as two drive letters (I: & J: or whatever).
Whether those drive letters have anything backing them is another question.

I disabled that junk on my Nooks a long time ago.
Some of the problems are that it restricts you to FAT volumes and delegating volumes is a bad idea anyway.

To "see" files you need a file explorer app or UMS or just use ADB.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread