[KERNEL][SHIFT][DUALBOOT][TW/CM]09/22/14[LINARO]

Search This thread

vipergtsam

You're welcome. I hope you find a rom that works for you; I know our Note2 section of xda doesn't get a whole lot of love, but you're bound to find something.

Wanted to upgrade to the HTC one m8 cause I miss sense but really starting to dislike Samsung cause it seems its full of bloatware that's a pain to deal with

Sent from my SPH-L900BeanStalk ColeTrain 1.0 using XDA Free mobile app

Bill720

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 13, 2013
AT&T HTC One
Moto X Style (Pure)
The Samsung Way

Wanted to upgrade to the HTC one m8 cause I miss sense but really starting to dislike Samsung cause it seems its full of bloatware that's a pain to deal with

That is a Samsung trademark, isn't it? ;) Many of the custom roms here alleviate that, but finding one that is functional and looks good is tough, and then there's the challenge of locating a good kernel if you want to get the most out of the sound system and the screen and the other features the device has to offer.

I feel like this rapid release cycle for smartphones that has developed over the past few years has caused an increase in the speed at which roms and upgrades are pushed out, but a decrease in attention to detail and bug-fixing. The thought is, "oh, why don't you live with it until next year when the next model comes out?", but some of us not only want to use the phone for longer than a year, but also want a solid and functional experience for however long we plan on keeping the device.

Reactions: vipergtsam

vipergtsam

That is a Samsung trademark, isn't it? ;) Many of the custom roms here alleviate that, but finding one that is functional and looks good is tough, and then there's the challenge of locating a good kernel if you want to get the most out of the sound system and the screen and the other features the device has to offer.

I feel like this rapid release cycle for smartphones that has developed over the past few years has caused an increase in the speed at which roms and upgrades are pushed out, but a decrease in attention to detail and bug-fixing. The thought is, "oh, why don't you live with it until next year when the next model comes out?", but some of us not only want to use the phone for longer than a year, but also want a solid and functional experience for however long we plan on keeping the device.

U do speak the truth I had this phone for a year and 6 months I wanted the note 3 but decided not to and I do wish this phone had a little more roms cause there are a few I want to try but can't cause it's for a different carrier and I know there was a patch but I'm really scared to try that I lost my flash 3 times with this phone but wish I new more about building roms or fixing things cause I wanted to fix the note 4 rom cause I like it just can't use the data might try again over the weekend just to text my luck

rogersb11

Nov 18, 2013
Indianapolis
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra

Run CyanideL, my ROM. JL built it for L900 I believe. Won't find a better aosp rom IMO

Reactions: tube517

Bill720

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 13, 2013
AT&T HTC One
Moto X Style (Pure)
Something to consider

Switching to AOSP was something I thought about, but I'm hesitant because of the features I lost doing so on past phones. Does Cyanide support stereo video recording, the Wacom stylus, Dialer codes, and the "my call sound" feature? These are the perks I'm afraid of losing by switching off of Touchwiz.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Shift Dual Boot/ TW and CM Kernel

This kernel supports both TouchWiz and CM Aosp, AOKP and probably others but untested

CPU GOVERNORS: lazy, smartass, smartassV2, ondemand, powersave, interactive, performance, userspace, pegasusq, zzmoove
    default cpu governor: pegasusq
    default I/O governor: cfq
    CIFS & NFS Network FileSystems
    F2FS/EXT4
    kernel uses LZMA compression
    OverClock to 2160
    Boeffla Sound 1.6.6 (Use the control app from the play store)
    Charge Control
    TouchWake and Timeout support
    Slide2Wake
    DoubleTap2Wake
    Mdnie HiJack

Compiled with Linaro GCC 4.9.2

STweaks is included to configure the kernel

Install Instructions: Standard flash in recovery, dual boot instrustions will be listed below

Downloads: Click

Dual Boot Support will REQUIRE PhilZ Touch Advanced from here: PhilZ

Dual boot instructions will be below BUT if installing TW be sure to install as primary whether it will be or not, it doesn't matter. The last used rom will boot by default but you will also be presented with a boot menu. Also TW Roms must be fully deknoxed or it is reported to not boot. I DO NOT own this device. Ramdisk was ported by @jlmancuso and also tested. So give him thank

XDA:DevDB Information
    Shift-DualBoot-Kernel-I900, Kernel for the Sprint Samsung Galaxy Note II

Contributors
    rogersb11, ketut.kumajaya
    Kernel Special Features: Dual Boot TouchWiz or Aosp ROM, Aroma recovery boot menus with PhilZ Advanced touch

Version Information
    Current Stable Version: 2.7
    Stable Release Date: 2014-09-22

Created 2014-09-06
    Last Updated 2014-09-23
    FYI this will only work on fully deknoxed tw roms!!! Which right now is my stock NE2 1.2.

If the rom you are using does not want to work there are a few steps you can do (suggest you do this to the zip before flashing)

Remove any apps that say knox (although I am pretty sure all custom versions have this done already)

DO NOT EDIT MY STOCK 1.2!!!

These are the steps I used to get Classic Priest Punch working

/system/app
    delete universalmdmclient.apk

/system/priv-app remove klmsagent.apk

/system/lib
    remove libknox_encryption.so

/system
    delete container (leave containers or add if not there)

then in build.prop
    change ro.config.knox=v30 to =0

ro.config.dha_empty_max_knox=0
    Been busy but haven't forgot about you guys. I know last release here wouldn't boot correctly. I'm gonna redo your whole ramdisk at some point this week and get you guys rolling again

Sent from my SGH-I317 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
    Dual boot Instructions(will be updated)

4. "I want to setup dual booting."
    A. There are four situations:-
    1) Sammy rom now. Want to use aosp as secondary.
    2) Sammy rom now. Want to use aosp as primary.
    3) Aosp rom now. Want to use sammy as secondary.
    4) Aosp rom now. Want to use sammy as primary.

Prerequisites for any setup is
    a) Flash latest Shift kernel.
    b) Flash latest Extended PhilZ Touch recovery from the OP
    c) Atleast 90% battery left.
    d) 3 GB free on internal SD.
    e) Some spare time

1)Start out with a full wipe of everything including internal sdcard
    i) Reboot into recovery
    ii) Select "Run Aroma Dual Boot Tool" in Advaced Menu, create system.img of at least 1 GB for Secondary ROM and then exit tool as suggested. Now flash Primary ROM, flash shift kernel. Boot the primary ROM(again TW must be PRIMARY). Reboot to recovery and when boot menu is presented
    iii) Reboot into secondary recovery (red on screen navigation buttons)
    iv) Flash 2nd ROM
    v) Flash Shift kernel again
    vi)Choose booting ROM with AROMA boot menu on initial startup

2) Present sammy, setup aosp as primary:-
    i) Reboot into recovery
    ii) Nandroid backup your current sammy ROM
    iii) Select "Run Aroma Dual Boot Tool" in Advaced Menu, create system.img for Samsung stock/stock based ROM and then close it
    iv) Reboot into secondary recovery (red on screen navigation buttons)
    v) Nandroid restore your sammy ROM as 2nd ROM
    vi) Flash Shift kernel again
    vii) Reboot into primary recovery
    viii) Flash aosp ROM as 1st ROM
    ix) Flash Shift kernel again

3) Present aosp, setup sammy as secondary:-
    Same as (1), instead of flashing aosp to second, flash sammy to second.

4) Present aosp, setup sammy as primary:-
    Same as (2), instead of flashing aosp to first ROM, flash sammy.

NOTE:
    -To dual boot Two Aosp or Two Sammy roms, just follow (1) or (2) (depending on which one of them you want as primary/secondary), just flash Sammy instead of aosp or aosp instead of sammy.

5. "What things should I be taking care off while dealing with dual booting?"
    A. - Make sure where you are: in primary or secondary recovery.

6. "How to boot into primary rom?"
    A. AROMA based boot menu will help you on every boot.

7. "How to boot into secondary rom?"
    A. AROMA based boot menu will help you on every boot.

8. "Is kernel partition shared?"
    A. Yes. Same kernel boots both roms
    Reuploaded 3.1 to include the latest mali blobs from samsung. That should alleviate some issues. Also I know someone mention camera causing reboot and I haven't had time to go over the logs but the can't connect to camera issue has been fixed in the 7105 area. The mali blobs not being in the zip could have caused some of the issues as the kernel looks for the new ones. They are there now, my mistake. Forgot to update the zip before I uploaded the last time

http://xdaforums.com/devdb/project/?id=5709#downloads