[ROM] Rwilco12's Mostly Stock NE2 v1.3 (1/24/15) (Updater, Debloated, and more!)

Search This thread

rwilco12

😺 Recognised Developer / Retired Forum Moderator
I have the same issue. I think it may be related to a data speed problem, but I can't be certain. It seems since the update to 1.1 my data speeds are slower than ever. Another note; the arrow in the Samsung keyboard to add personalized words is gone. Am I the only one? Otherwise, I'm digging this ROM.

Question about theming that I know isn't ROM related, but given the vast knowledge base here maybe someone can assist. I noticed in the system UI file there are all the various icons for Spark. Anyway to get those to show instead of stock? I've been customizing icons manually because xposed modules don't seem to change them and statusbar theming doesn't seem to work on the Note. I would greatly appreciate any assistance getting pointed in the right direction.

Thanks again for all your hard work.

To answer your question about the stock Sprint Spark icons, There's a couple of ways to accomplish this. One is to change the smali code to reference those png files instead of the current 4G LTE files and the other would be to rename them to what the smali code points to. there will be problems either way because there's a different amount of png files referenced in the Spark files and 4G files... but it can be done. I thought about this myself but soon abandoned the idea because I had other more important things I wanted to do.

There are two or three ways you can go about this. The first requires a ton of smali edits and isn't actually all that hard it is just time consuming and requires a basic knowledge of apk decompiling and recompiling.

The easiest option is to change device/product name in the build.prop but this could have other changes. I couldn't find a link on how to do it for the N2 but I know it can be done. Here are a few links describing the process for other devices.
http://www.androidpit.com/how-to-transform-your-galaxy-s4-into-an-s5
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2387426
http://www.andromods.com/apps-mod/g...e-carrier-label-and-replace-4g-lte-icons.html

Reactions: pfroyjr and Chaz187

tx_dbs_tx

Jan 19, 2009
Texas, USA
Yea changing the device id would cause other issues . I don't think it's worth it for such a moinor cosmetic thing like a icn or two. The smali code is something you really have to learn and it isn't something I ever expect to master. LOL. I will attempt some basic stuff but I know when to call it quits and seek help or abandon an idea. The spark Icons is a simple task but really not worth the trouble for me, especially when there are so many battery mods out there already. (I lied the Spark icons will not be a simple task!) I'm still rockin' RW 1.0 with a lot of my own personal touches!

Last edited:
Reactions: rwilco12

rwilco12

😺 Recognised Developer / Retired Forum Moderator

tx_dbs_tx

Jan 19, 2009
Texas, USA
Is this cool to dirty-flash?

Honestly dirty flashing is not a good idea unless you know for a fact that the rom is identical to the installed rom with only a few very minor file differences. In this case you don't know what all has been changed. Personally I NEVER dirty flash. It only leaves you open to issues and it's not worth the risk. Troubleshooting is basically a process of elimination so dirty flashing on top of your current rom pretty much adds to the process of elimination which means more time and work pinpointing the source of the problem. I highly recommend a clean flash everytime so you know for a fact where the problem files are coming from... the most currently flashed rom. Don't add more work in the troubleshooting process... reduce the possible causes as much as you can from the start to be more productive. Sorry for the long post

Dragonfyr

Dec 26, 2010
Which dialer can i use on Version 1.0 of this rom to remove the first call black screen delay?

I want to stick with 1.0 for a while until the new versions bugs are ironed out

kchannel9

Dec 24, 2011
California
If I'm on 4.3 MK4 rooted, de-KNOXed, with Philz, can I make a nandroid of my current setup, and flash this, then if I have issues, could I restore the nandroid, or will other things have changed? Also, could I put the stock recovery back and take the 4.4 OTA, and then nandroid restore back to my current setup after doing that? Any insight would be appreciated

Sent from my rooted SPH-L900 Sprint/Ting Note 2 running 4.3 MK4 with tripped & disabled KNOX, on Tapatalk

kotowski

Apr 9, 2008
1.2 looks like a winner! Plug/unplug no longer wakes the screen and the audio stutter issues are gone for me. Thanks!

Reactions: smaw51

fuzzer

Jul 28, 2006
SDCard woes

Off topic for the current conversation, but I've had the same issue with v1 & v1.1:
Media on my sdcard is not "recognized" by built in apps..

Gallery does not see existing pictures eve when I tell the camera to save pics to external storage

Play music player & samsung music player do not see any music on the sd card on my "music" folder.

I used the phone to format the sdcard and copied my DCIM & music folder back to the SD and still no luck.

I know kitkat has sdcard permission limitations, but I can't find any resolution..

TIA
Steve

ceabbott2

Jul 15, 2010
Henderson, KY
I've never had any issues with my phone not recognizing my photos or music. So is the stuttering just on streaming services or does it happen from everyone's saved music that's on the device?

Charles

fuzzer

Jul 28, 2006
I've never had any issues with my phone not recognizing my photos or music. So is the stuttering just on streaming services or does it happen from everyone's saved music that's on the device?

Charles

My local music plays fine...just have to find it myself.. sprint sucks in my area so I can't stream anything to test

spodemaster

Nov 26, 2012
Hey guys just wanted to say love this rom. Battery life is great performance is great. Just started getting lag for the first time not sure what it is.
The only real weird thing I've noticed is when someone calls it does weird things where I wake the phone, and it stops ringing while it goes to the lock screen. And sort of lags to bring up the call window.

That said. I need to use my best buy warantee before two years are up to get my amoled screen replaced, as it has significant burn in from the top bar, and keypad.

I know I should odin a stock rom, but is there an easy way to revert back to the stock recovery?

Need to make sure I can get my device waranteed.

Thanks guys can't wait to try the update!!!!

---------- Post added at 12:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:26 PM ----------

Off topic for the current conversation, but I've had the same issue with v1 & v1.1:
Media on my sdcard is not "recognized" by built in apps..

Gallery does not see existing pictures eve when I tell the camera to save pics to external storage

Play music player & samsung music player do not see any music on the sd card on my "music" folder.

I used the phone to format the sdcard and copied my DCIM & music folder back to the SD and still no luck.

I know kitkat has sdcard permission limitations, but I can't find any resolution..

TIA
Steve

Charles

I've actually had a problem like in skype where I try to send a photo that's on my phone, and I get the error message. File must be on device.

Not sure if that's a kitkat issue or a rom issue.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Rwilco12's Mostly Stock NE2

As many of you know, I've spent so long dealing with all these stock ROM's and never really branched out into the world of custom ROM's. I can never find a ROM that is 100% what I want. I find a lot that come close but never 100%. So I decided to branch out and try my hand at making my own custom ROM. I got what I wanted for my S5 and was then asked to port it over to the Note 2. That being said, this is my ROM. I made it for me. I'll take requests and do what I can but ultimately I'm building a ROM that is my daily ROM and does what I need it to the way I want it to. I'm sharing with everyone but I'm putting myself at your mercy to play nice. So without further ado...

The ROM:

- NE2 Stock Deodexed Base
    - Rwilco12's Updater (ability to install mods, apps, etc on the fly)
    - Native Call Recording
    - Wi-Fi & USB Hotspot enabled
    - 360 Degree Rotation
    - Carrier Lockscreen Text Removed
    - System Apps Updated to Latest Versions
    - Wireless Charging Pop-Up Removed
    - Debloated (Removed Apps available through Updater)
    - Removed Safe Volume Warning
    - Customized CSC Default Workspaces
    - Full Battery Notification Removed
    - Extended Reboot Menu
    - Connections Optimizer Removed
    - Additional Quickpanel Tiles
    - Boot Animation Support
    - Custom Boot Animation
    - Camera Sound & GPS Menus Enabled
    - Permissions Manager Enabled (found in Settings)
    - Call/Message Blocker Enabled (found in Settings)
    - Torchlight Volume Up Mod Enabled (found in Display Settings)

Changelog:

Mostly Stock NE2 v1.3 - (released 1/24/2015)
    - Rebased ROM back to @Chaz187's base.
    - Fixed power on bug when charging with phone off!
    - Fixed issue with hosts files blocking sites!
    - Removed more bloat!
    - Additional minor performance tweeks!
    - Updated build.prop tweaks!
    - And more!

Mostly Stock NE2 v1.1 - (released 10/3/2014)
    - ROM completely rebased using a hybrid of @jlmancuso and @Chaz187's bases!
    - More bloat removed!
    - Increased animation speeds for faster GUI response!
    - Disabled scrolling cache!
    - Dialer/contacts bug fixed!
    - MSL check removed for hidden menu!
    - PRL writing enabled!
    - Custom CSC desktop settings added!
    - New boot animation!

Mostly Stock NE2 v1.0 - Initial Release (released 8/24/2014)
    - Added Updater v3.02 to ROM
    - Added Rwilco12's Wallpaper Gallery & Repo to ROM
    - Enabled Native Call Recording
    - Removed Carrier Lockscreen Text
    - System Apps Updated to Latest Versions
    - Wireless Charging Pop-Up Removed
    - Wi-Fi & USB Hotspot enabled
    - 360 Degree Rotation enabled
    - Updated System Apps
    - Removed Safe Volume Warning
    - Customized CSC Default Workspaces
    - Full Battery Notification Removed
    - Extended Reboot Menu Added
    - Connections Optimizer Removed
    - Additional Quickpanel Tiles Unlocked
    - Boot Animation Support
    - Custom Boot Animation
    - Camera Sound & GPS Menus Enabled
    - Permissions Manager Enabled
    - Call/Message Blocker Enabled
    - Torchlight Volume Up Mod Enabled
    - Debloated​

Credits/Thanks:

- @Chaz187 for the base!
    - Huge thanks to @tdunham for his awesome guides that made this ROM possible!
    - @TeamPATB ( @fryingpan0613 @jimmydene84, @The Real Sitek, @elwood, @cbucz24 & @kenny8504 ) - for just being awesome!
    - @acquariusoft - for the original Update Me App I based my Updater off of.
    - @garwynn - for being Garwynn and everything he does for all of us!
    - @mijjah74 & Team Nocturnal - for the extended reboot menu.
    - @digiblur - for full battery notification removal mod.​

Downloads:
    http://www.rwilco12.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=923
    Other items are currently available through the Updater included within the ROM. More items will be added to the Updater as we progress.

Directions:
    1. Download ROM.
    2. Boot to recovery.
    3. Do and advanced wipe and wipe cache, dalvik cache, system and data.
    4. Flash the ROM.
    5. Enjoy!

XDA:DevDB Information
    [ROM] Rwilco12's Mostly Stock NE2 v1.3 (1/24/15) (Updater, Debloated, and more!), ROM for the Sprint Samsung Galaxy Note II

Contributors
    rwilco12
    ROM OS Version: 4.4.x KitKat

Version Information
    Current Stable Version: 1.3
    Stable Release Date: 2015-01-24

Created 2014-10-13
    Last Updated 2015-01-24
    7cd3af4e8353344e5079848d367dcc30.jpg

f9b0b2c512f121d5af84e2dc6431a9aa.jpg

edddb613a2d9c4bb17346056e651ac90.jpg

3d53fb3dd26c49342da727b38f74d95c.jpg

30da95c1a5f5e04d9a5ad25d0cd1fed7.jpg
    Rwilco12's Mostly Stock NE2 v1.1 is now available!

Huge thanks to @jlmancuso and @Chaz187 for the bases and all their help! Both of them are awesome guys!

Another big thanks to @The Real Sitek, @ceabbott2, @hondafreak513, @Patch7 and @XPinochitoX who helped me out with testing the dialer/contacts bugs since my phone isn't actually activated. :)

As always, I recommend a full wipe when flashing. :)
    Downloads in the OP!

Changelog:
    Mostly Stock NE2 v1.1 - (released 10/3/2014)
    - ROM completely rebased using a hybrid of @jlmancuso and @Chaz187's bases!
    - More bloat removed!
    - Increased animation speeds for faster GUI response!
    - Disabled scrolling cache!
    - Dialer/contacts bug fixed!
    - MSL check removed for hidden menu!
    - PRL writing enabled!
    - Custom CSC desktop settings added!
    - New boot animation!​
    Look forward to the Updated Rom, This one is my daily driver and is the most stable i have tried in a while

Exciting news. When is it going to be available?

+100000 This rom works flawlessly on my phone, very exited for an update!!!
    Sorry guys, work has kept me insanely busy so I haven't gotten much done yet. :(

I have completed the process of rebasing the ROM to incorporate pieces of both @jlmancuso and @Chaz187 base ROM's and have added a few new mods. I'm planning on taking some time off next week and hope to get it out then.
    Is the Updater app the best way to check for releases?
    There and here. :)

I'll let you in on a secret though... It's gonna be posted tonight. :)