Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,813,836 Members 41,391 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Lost but found ???

Tip us?

Demmonnixx
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 61
Default Lost but found ???

My daughter lost her GN II a while back, about 2 months ago to be exact. We did the insurance thing and got a replacement. Going through all the stuff in her room she no longer wanted and guess what? We found her frickin phone that we reported lost/stolen. Question is being that we reported it stolen/lost, I know there's probably not a way to activate it on sprint or a different carrier or anything but would she still be able to use it as as lets say a tablet for just wifi stuff etc...? Not 100% sure on Sprints regulations and I really don't want to send it back as I've already paid for the re-placement. Any ideas would be helpful? I've hear several things so I have it on Airplane mode right now and wanted to ask here to see if anyone else has had something similar happen and if they were able to use the device after as say a tablet or even re-activate it or flash it in some way.
Candy kat 1.3 w/uber
Sched: sio
min: 384000
max: 1620000
Gov: wheatly
Lightning Launcher
And all the candy sweetener avail at the time

jlmancuso
Old
Thanks Meter 4,998

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demmonnixx View Post
My daughter lost her GN II a while back, about 2 months ago to be exact. We did the insurance thing and got a replacement. Going through all the stuff in her room she no longer wanted and guess what? We found her frickin phone that we reported lost/stolen. Question is being that we reported it stolen/lost, I know there's probably not a way to activate it on sprint or a different carrier or anything but would she still be able to use it as as lets say a tablet for just wifi stuff etc...? Not 100% sure on Sprints regulations and I really don't want to send it back as I've already paid for the re-placement. Any ideas would be helpful? I've hear several things so I have it on Airplane mode right now and wanted to ask here to see if anyone else has had something similar happen and if they were able to use the device after as say a tablet or even re-activate it or flash it in some way.
Well not exactly sure but check your contract paperwork. Legally you might need to return it but again I dont know for sure.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Jlmancuso

HTC Og Evo, Evo 3d, kyocera torque and Note II all cloned on cricKet

Demmonnixx
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlmancuso View Post
Well not exactly sure but check your contract paperwork. Legally you might need to return it but again I dont know for sure.

hmm, thanks for the reply. Anyone else have any idea if it can even be used a tablet on wifi?
Candy kat 1.3 w/uber
Sched: sio
min: 384000
max: 1620000
Gov: wheatly
Lightning Launcher
And all the candy sweetener avail at the time

jlmancuso
Old
Thanks Meter 4,998

DONATE TO ME
Sure you can use it as a tablet. You can also take it and put it on cricket or other non sprint cdma provider. Well if you know what you are doing you can even put it back on sprint.

The thing is what is legal? Really the phone belongs to sprint till you have paid it off (phone prices are subsidized by your plan). Since you reported it stolen then you only paid part of it. Most likely you had to pay extra to get your replacement to help cover part of the price of the new one. This means the lost phone is not paid for and does still belong to sprint.

What you do is your choice. Will sprint come after you over the phone? Highly unlikely but there is always a possibility of it.

Now to legally keep the phone all you need to do is call sprint and tell them that the phone was found. You will have to either place it on another line, pay off the balance, or return the phone to sprint.

Hopefully this will cover all your questions about it.

Jlmancuso

HTC Og Evo, Evo 3d, kyocera torque and Note II all cloned on cricKet
The Following User Says Thank You to jlmancuso For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

lovekeiiy
Old
Thanks Meter 174
I would call sprint and let them know it was found. Since you already had it replaced when you thought it was lost and gone forever, they're not going to tell you return the replacement and switch back to the old phone. Depending on your point of view, the worse thing they'll want you to turn in the old phone. Personally, I think that would be a nice option because what else are you going to do with it? To keep it means you have a WiFi only 5.5" tablet, or you have to open a new line to use it as a phablet. And I find having anything less than a 10" tablet is a waste when I have the GN2.

I just see a whole lot of problems if you're discovered with the phone and it's still believe to be stolen. Not that I think Sprint would go after you, but there is very slim possibly they could go after you for fraud.

awillis111
Old
Thanks Meter 674

DONATE TO ME
Actually, the recovered phone belongs to the insurance carrier now. And, as they are partnered with Sprint, Sprint will mark the ESN as bad, so you can't flash it to another carrier.
Phone: Samsung GNII
Tablet: Samsung GT2 10.1 P-5113

If I have helped, please use the "Thanks" button.

The "REPLY" button is your friend!!