Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

[Q] Upgrade MK4 4.3 ROM to 4.4.2 stock+rooted

OP Obi-Wan-YJ

20th August 2014, 02:30 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Flag Lincoln, NE
Thanks Meter: 0
 
8 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2013
Donate to Me
More
Back in December, I tried to upgrade my rooted 4.1 Note 2 to 4.3. Something (probably the fact that I was rooted) hosed the OTA upgrade, so my only recourse was the install the PhilZ recovery and the MK4 "stock+root" custom ROM. MK4 has been a constant pain, rebooting randomly, sometimes several times per day.

Now that 4.4.2 is out, I want to upgrade to that. I was hoping that since MK4 was quasi-stock, I'd be able to do the OTA update, but no such luck. When I attempt it, it fails part way though. I'll attach the failure text as well as the philz_recovery.log file.

Can anybody make out what exactly has happened? Is there any hope of merely upgrading to 4.4.2 without having to wipe my phone and start over with a new ROM? The MyBackup Pro backups never work as seamlessly as they should, and it takes me days to get everything configured back the way I like it. I definitely want to retain (or regain) root, of course. My primary goal is just to get a rock solid device like I had before MK4 was installed.

If installing a custom ROM is the only recourse, what's the best way to do that so that I end up with a very reliable, rooted device? The threads I've found here all appear to have been written within hours of 4.4.2 becoming available, and readily admit that the kinks weren't worked out yet.

Here's the text from the failure:
-------------------------------------------------
PhilZ Touch 6
CWM Base version: v6.0.4.5
E:Invalid command argument
E:Invalid command argument
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Verifying update package...
E:failed to verify whole file signature
E:signature verification failed
Installing update...
Verifying current system...
"/system/app/PickUpTutorial.apk" has unexpected contents.
E:Error in /cache/72654cbf718a2e04245c4239c6c7d5dd0a7f8f2d.USER_L900 _SPT_MK4_to_NE2_Update_FWD.zip
(Status 7)
Installation aborted.
/tmp/recovery.log copied to /sdcard/clockworkmod/philz_recovery.log
Send file to Phil3759 @xda
Rebooting...
------------------------------------------------
Attached Files
File Type: txt philz_recovery.log.txt - [Click for QR Code] (10.6 KB, 2 views)
21st August 2014, 06:09 AM   |  #2  
jocarog's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Texas
Thanks Meter: 301
 
789 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2012
More
OTA update fails because it needs factory recovery, if you want to deal with the knox stuff go ahead and flash stock recovery thru Odin or the ne2 tar, if you don't want to deal with it just download stock rooted, classic or community rom 4.4.2, remember to go to rwilco's repository to get the ne2 modem as well if you wish to be updated to the latest everything, I'm on the mc2 bootloader and I don't have reboots or anything like that now running community 3.2, good luck

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to jocarog For This Useful Post: [ View ]
21st August 2014, 06:51 AM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Flag Lincoln, NE
Thanks Meter: 0
 
8 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2013
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocarog

OTA update fails because it needs factory recovery, if you want to deal with the knox stuff go ahead and flash stock recovery thru Odin or the ne2 tar, if you don't want to deal with it just download stock rooted, classic or community rom 4.4.2, remember to go to rwilco's repository to get the ne2 modem as well if you wish to be updated to the latest everything,

Thanks for the info. I'm long out of warranty and not on a contract, so I'm not sure that I need to worry about knox any more, do I?

Where would I find links for the the stock rooted ROM and rwilco's repository?
21st August 2014, 03:15 PM   |  #4  
jocarog's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Texas
Thanks Meter: 301
 
789 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2012
More
Here's the link to rwilco's repository
http://www.rwilco12.com/downloads.ph...28SPH-L900%29/

A stock rooted rom there's only one in the development thread, it's called community rom and it has a themed version as well in the same thread.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to jocarog For This Useful Post: [ View ]
22nd August 2014, 02:41 AM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member
Flag Lincoln, NE
Thanks Meter: 0
 
8 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2013
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocarog

A stock rooted rom there's only one in the development thread, it's called community rom and it has a themed version as well in the same thread.

I read through a few of the 98 pages on the Community ROM thread (http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2785110). From the sound of things, that ROM is still in Alpha, which doesn't really sound like a very stable offering. I'm not super picky about my ROM being bone stock, but it does need to be VERY reliable and rootable, and it needs to support at least all of the stock features. If there are more features, that's fine. I'm really not interested in alpha testing a new release, though.

Are there any other ROMs that are based on 4.4 (KitKat) and are known to be fully functional and really reliable?
22nd August 2014, 04:28 AM   |  #6  
jlmancuso's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag houston, tx
Thanks Meter: 5,427
 
5,104 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2011
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi-Wan-YJ

I read through a few of the 98 pages on the Community ROM thread (http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2785110). From the sound of things, that ROM is still in Alpha, which doesn't really sound like a very stable offering. I'm not super picky about my ROM being bone stock, but it does need to be VERY reliable and rootable, and it needs to support at least all of the stock features. If there are more features, that's fine. I'm really not interested in alpha testing a new release, though.

Are there any other ROMs that are based on 4.4 (KitKat) and are known to be fully functional and really reliable?

Well while I do call community an alpha it is stable and works great besides the spen clipping (hold pen button and outline something). The reason I called it an alpha is the N3 features I am working on are not there yet. When I started community my plans were to have a N3/S5 rom. To date it only has S5 things. Since it is not complete I called it an alpha. Beta will be out sometime in the near future and have the N3 features (air command). Also it is rooted already so no need to worry about that. Any other 4.4.2 out there will have the same issues as the community also.


Sent from my SPH-L900 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jlmancuso For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes