[HOW-TO][ANY ROM WITH KERNEL F2FS SUPPORT][ANY FORMAT TO F2FS FORMAT] guide

Search This thread

butla

Nov 22, 2008
TWRP for N7105/N7105T t0tle good to go. Flashed new V2.8 zip just released with V2.7.2.1 recovery. All working perfectly. Thank bigbiff for his fine efforts.

Sent from one of my Notes.

Reactions: psycho4us4

AE74

Jul 21, 2013
San Francisco
T889 restoring backup using TWRP 2.8

I restored the backup with t889 TWRP 2.8. This resulted in nightmare for me. Phone booted. During optimizing, I only saw 13 apps instead of 190+. Once booted, android.phone FC constantly. No signal. Tried restore with TWRP2.7.2.2. Same result. I am now trying to convert back to ext4 and clean flash the rom. Hopefully this will be successful.

This may be isolated case with me but I wanted to share my experience.

Of course if I don't brick my phone, I will convert to f2fs again.

psycho4us4

Mar 30, 2012
Yorba Linda, CA
I restored the backup with t889 TWRP 2.8. This resulted in nightmare for me. Phone booted. During optimizing, I only saw 13 apps instead of 190+. Once booted, android.phone FC constantly. No signal. Tried restore with TWRP2.7.2.2. Same result. I am now trying to convert back to ext4 and clean flash the rom. Hopefully this will be successful.

This may be isolated case with me but I wanted to share my experience.

Of course if I don't brick my phone, I will convert to f2fs again.
You definitely won't brick your phone if you know how to use Odin lol. Sorry for the bad experience . I will play with it as soon as I get some extra time. Thanks for letting me know.

Ianchua

Jul 26, 2012
Singapore
Successful migration to f2fs using TWRP 2.8 For N7105. Greenlight to it.

Edit: By the way don't know whether this is new, I discovered that if you already have an existing f2fs converted back up, restoring it without clicking the rm-rf box does the same job. ROM booted.

KingP1n

Jan 1, 2011
Can you do me a solid and install agni 4.2.4, boot up all the way, then reboot to twrp and back up system only ( delete old backup so there's no confusion). Then f2fs system only, then double check that rm -rf is check marked in settings, then go back and restore system. If it takes this time then I'd say there's a compatibility issue with 4.2.5 agni. Let me know. Thanks in advance not just for me but also for others that may run into this same issue.

I think you're right my phone is the only phone that can't convert to f2fs. ..at least the system won't take....tried all steps with no luck. ...Krazy haha

psycho4us4

Mar 30, 2012
Yorba Linda, CA
Mine won't with dn3 rom but stock went right thru

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk
Is that the latest dn3 with the latest agni? @Bajanman and i were both able to convert all 3 partitions hassle free. Can you guys that are having trouble restoring the system after converting the partition to F2FS please give the new 2.8.0.0 twrp a shot to see if it all got cleared up with the update? Thanks in advance for your time and effort guys. I just want this conversion to take for everyone in all 3 partitions "hassle free" ya know

Reactions: Ianchua and KingP1n

adam5150

May 19, 2011
Already running the latest recovery. I will start fresh after work today. Plus I notice I couldn't get dn3 to boot stuck on galaxy logo with ext4 after upgrading recovery. Had to find an old backup. But I will see what happens tonight and let you know bud

Ianchua

Jul 26, 2012
Singapore
Is that the latest dn3 with the latest agni? @Bajanman and i were both able to convert all 3 partitions hassle free. Can you guys that are having trouble restoring the system after converting the partition to F2FS please give the new 2.8.0.0 twrp a shot to see if it all got cleared up with the update? Thanks in advance for your time and effort guys. I just want this conversion to take for everyone in all 3 partitions "hassle free" ya know

Those that have problems can try this,

Like Usual,Check that rm-rf is unchecked

1.Change << SYSTEM >> to f2fs and reboot back to recovery

2.Change << CACHE >> to f2fs and reboot back to recovery

3.Change << DATA >> to f2fs and reboot back to recovery

4.CHECK the rm-rf box

5.Restore all partitions separately.(Reference to SYSTEM,CACHE,DATA)

I used this method before TWRP 2.8 to convert successfully to f2fs

Hope that this helps if not,Get to the latest TWRP 2.8 to have a hassle free conversion like what @psycho4us4 said

Sent from a DN3 powered Note2 rigged with f2fs awesomeness. Peace✌

Last edited:

psycho4us4

Mar 30, 2012
Yorba Linda, CA

4.CHECK the rm-rf box

Hope that this helps if not,Get to the latest TWRP 2.8 to have a hassle free conversion like what @psycho4us4 said

Hey I'm all for it guys. Reboot recovery after every step to see if that helps you guys have a "hassle free" conversion. If it takes is going in the op

Bajanman

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 17, 2009
Los Angeles Ca.
Mine won't with dn3 rom but stock went right thru

Already running the latest recovery. I will start fresh after work today. Plus I notice I couldn't get dn3 to boot stuck on galaxy logo with ext4 after upgrading recovery. Had to find an old backup. But I will see what happens tonight and let you know bud

Going to start over and try converting my whole system again! But my converting worked after I slimmed down Dn3 to like 1.67 gig, from 1.93 gig...

4.CHECK the rm-rf box

I might give this a go if what I'm going to try don't work.
Going to update to TWRP 2.8.0.0 to see if that actually helps solve any previous problems.

I personally think that it's our Rom being to BIG, that's why most can't convert the system partition. But after I slimmed the Rom down I got no problem.
I'm going to try flashing the full Rom, back-up and start the conversion process.
I'll report what I find for everyone...
Going to try with both Agni & Devil kernels, cause I know they both work.
Only problem I found with Devil. It doesn't matter having the latest 4.4.2 bootloader, the phone still boots up on it's own while plugged in!
Going to try this out soon as the battery finish charging[emoji41][emoji12]...

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

psycho4us4

Mar 30, 2012
Yorba Linda, CA
Going to start over and try converting my whole system again! But my converting worked after I slimmed down Dn3 to like 1.67 gig, from 1.93 gig...

Going to update to TWRP 2.8.0.0 to see if that actually helps solve any previous problems.

I personally think that it's our Rom being to BIG, that's why most can't convert the system partition. But after I slimmed the Rom down I got no problem.
I'm going to try flashing the full Rom, back-up and start the conversion process.
Only problem I found with Devil. It doesn't matter having the latest 4.4.2 bootloader, the phone still boots up on it's own while plugged in!

Awesome thanks.

Reactions: Bajanman
S

sawdoctor

I might as well join you as I think my system is corrupted (too much test flashing lol). Been trying to put it off starting from scratch but i'm only delaying the inevitable

KingP1n

Jan 1, 2011

I think you might on 2 something. ..I always get to about 90-92% trying restore and it fails...maybe due to Rom being too big. ...any recommendations on how to trim rom down. Once it's trim maybe I can retry again....I have flashed latest t-mobile twrp plus have tried gng back to agni 4.2.4 & 4.2.5....still down for any input. ...plus wanted to say THANK YOU to all for your patience

adam5150

May 19, 2011
I flash the latest bootloader a week ago I can't even get DN3 to boot now. Sticks on the Samsung logo. Any thoughts bajanman

Last edited:

Bajanman

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 17, 2009
Los Angeles Ca.
I flash the latest bootloader a week ago I can't even get DN3 to boot now. Sticks on the Samsung logo. Any thoughts bajanman

You moved to the 4.4.2 bootloader which is the same thing I did with my att. Wondering if rebooting recovery and flash the Rom again on top of what you just flashed. Would stop it from sticking at the Sammy logo...

Since you haven't set-up nothing cause it was a fresh install. Factory reset, then reboot recovery and flash it again see what happens.
If you still having the same problems, you could try grabbing another copy of the Rom. And last but not least downgrading twrp might help. Why because I've never heard you have any issues like this B4!!
I'm on 2.8 on both my AT&T and Tmo phones right now...

Yes 2.8 is out for the Tmo with f2fs integrated now. No more using att version for f2fs conversion..
I checked the teamwin website last night just to see if Tmo was updated. Then at the bottom of the page ic 2.8.0.0 was there.[emoji106][emoji41]

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    SO FAR THIS ONLY COMPATIBLE WITH T889, I317, AND N7105

For those of you would might experience difficulty getting this to work with DN3 rom, here's a link to @Bajanman's slimmed down version of DN3 (ready for f2fs).

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=55869232&postcount=10909

As you guys might have noticed there has been some talk about F2FS file conversion.

In my opinion F2FS is much better than any other file format for android in speed and reliability.

Hopefully in a few years, they start making F2FS the default file system for all partitions.

I would just like to say THANK YOU to @psndna88, because this wouldn't be possible if it weren't for developers like who enable cool features like this.

This can only be done if you have an F2FS enabled kernel like the infamous AGNI kernel that has F2FS enabled. DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS WITHOUT AN F2FS ENABLED KERNEL

You can get the STOCK ROM version of AGNI kernel from here:http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2602053

You can get the CM version of AGNI kernel from here:http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2316648

The latest versions of both of those kernels have F2FS support. I recommend either of these kernels when attempting F2FS file system conversion.

As far as I'm concerned this is a MUST HAVE with any rom I install. AS LONG AS YOU HAVE F2FS SUPPORT ON YOUR KERNEL

IF YOU BRICK YOUR DEVICE IT'S BECAUSE YOU DIDN'T FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS TO THE T

Now I am going to teach you guys how to successfully convert any rom from EXT4 format ( or any format for that matter ) to F2FS format.

It has been brought to my attention by @scariola that if you have used or are using a mod to change your partition tables like this one for instance http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=53324246. You will have to revert these partitions back to stock value by flashing this first http://www.mediafire.com/download/zzh1e18yld1tvfy/Stock_Partitions_N7105_T889.zip THIS ZIP ONLY TESTED ON I317, T889, N7105 NOT RECOMMENDED TO FLASH ON ANY OTHER DEVICE. If it doesn't take your partitions back to stock value the first times then flash it again until it does.IF YOU HAVE DONE A MOD LIKE THAT, THEN IT IS COMPLETELY NECESSARY TO REVERT TO STOCK VALUES BEFORE CONTINUING. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

RECOVERY FLASHING:
    Please put the following recovery zip (the one designated for your version phone ONLY of course) onto your EXTERNAL SD, then boot to recovery and flash it. It has been reported by @AE74 that some recovery zips don't want to flash from the INTERNAL SD. So just to be on the safe side just put it on your EXTERNAL SD then flash it. Understood okay then go get that zip.

T889 ONLY

1. INSTALL THE LATEST TWRP 2.8.0.0 FOR T-MOBILE ( T889 ) from here http://www.techerrata.com/file/twrp2/t0ltetmo/openrecovery-twrp-2.8.0.0-t0ltetmo.zip Thanks @bigbiff }.

I317 ONLY:

1a. INSTALL THE LATEST TWRP 2.8.0.0 FOR AT&T ( I317 ) from here http://techerrata.com/file/twrp2/t0lteatt/openrecovery-twrp-2.8.0.0-t0lteatt.zip

N7105 ONLY:

1b. INSTALL THE LATEST TWRP 2.8.0.0 FOR N7105 and N7105T ( N7105 tolte ) from here http://techerrata.com/file/twrp2/t0lte/openrecovery-twrp-2.8.0.0-t0lte.zip

2. In the { Settings } menu of TWRP make sure the [ Use rm -rf instead of formatting ] is unchecked MAKE A FULL, COMPLETE BACKUP with TWRP 2.7.2.2 for I317 ( I can't stress this enough if you don't want to use Odin). Keeping in mind that whatever format your partitions are is what format they will be backed up as, such as EXT2, EXT3, EXT4, FAT, F2FS, etc. This will wipe INTERNAL SD so please make a backup of it.

3. Next from TWRP home, select { WIPE }

4. Then select { ADVANCED WIPE }

5. Then select { CACHE } and click { REPAIR OR CHANGE FILE SYSTEM }

6. Then select { Change File System } and select { F2FS }, then SWIPE TO CHANGE. After it formats successfully click { Back }. Then hit the back button for 2 pages until your back at the [ Select Partitions To Wipe page ].

7. Now select { SYSTEM } and click { REPAIR OR CHANGE FILE SYSTEM }

8. Then select { Change File System } and select { F2FS }, then SWIPE TO CHANGE. After it formats successfully click { Back }. Then hit the back button for 2 pages until your back at the [ Select Partitions To Wipe page ].

9. Then select { DATA } and click { REPAIR OR CHANGE FILE SYSTEM }

10. Then select { Change File System } and select { F2FS }, then SWIPE TO CHANGE. After it formats successfully click { Back }. Then hit the back button for 2 pages until your back at the [ Select Partitions To Wipe page ].

11. Next from TWRP home, click { Settings } then { X } the box that says [ Use rm -rf instead of formatting ].

12. Hit the back button, then select { Restore }. Click on the package you want to restore ( this is the backup you made in step #2 )'

13. Next { X } the boxes { CACHE, SYSTEM, and DATA ONLY }. Then SWIPE TO RESTORE.

14. ALL DONE now just click { Reboot System } and PROFIT like you've never profited before.

I'M SERIOUS THIS MAKES A HUGE IMPROVEMENT IN SPEED AND PERFORMANCE

Screenshots of successful conversion:
    picture.php
    picture.php
    picture.php

You can get the DISK INFO app from here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=me.kuder.diskinfo

PLEASE HIT THE THANKS BUTTON IF THIS MADE YOUR ROM AND KERNEL SUPER FAST

If you follow these instructions to the T you won't have to use Odin to recover lol as I have done many times.

It has been brought to my attention by @Butla that if already converted to F2FS, and want to update SUPERSU (whether it's through ODIN or flashable), then it is recommended to revert back to EXT4 as per my instructions in the following paragraph. After you successfully install the updated SUPERSU then go ahead and convert back to F2FS as per my instructions above. It seems trying to update SUPERSU while converted to F2FS might mess things up a bit. If you want to try and your not successful, you have already been told that it might not work correctly, so please use the recommended steps.

HOW TO REVERT BACK TO EXT4 OR ANY OTHER FORMAT YOU DESIRE IF FOR SOME REASON YOU NEED TO:

1. If you don't already have a backup that you want to use ( backed up with the [ Use rm -rf instead of formatting ] UNCHECKED ) then make one using Step 2 from above instructions.

2. Follow steps 2 through 14 from above, the only thing you have to do different is, instead of choosing { F2FS } for the file format you can choose ANY of the options available as long as the KERNEL you are running supports the format you are switching to.

3. That"s it PROFIT

3a. If you already have a backup done with the format you desire all you have to do is make sure the [ Use rm -rf instead of formatting ] option is UNCHECKED then restore the { CACHE } AND { SYSTEM } partitions from the package you desire that was made in the format you desire.

3b. The { DATA } has to be done manually by following steps 3, 4, 9, 10 but then hit the back button till your at the TWRP home screen. Next do step 11. Then restore the { DATA } partition from the same backup as mentioned in step 3a.

3c. Reboot and PROFIT

Screenshots of successful revert conversion:
    picture.php
    picture.php
    picture.php

:laugh:​
    Thank you for the guide.
    Is ODIN the only way to revert back to ext4?
    Do I follow the steps in OP and choose ext4 instead of f2fs?
    I'll add the how to revert back to the op tonight. Thanks for bringing that up as it slipped my mind last night. Too many beers and bowls? I think not lol !!!!!!!!!!
    Pressing back button did not work for me. Only when going directly to main recovery menu after formatting /data converted to f2fs.
    Bad news is internal data got wiped(had a backup in external).
    Good news is /data is f2fs now.
    Nice. People that are attempting this do like this guy and make a FULL AND COMPLETE backup please
    Cool thank you sir and keep up the great write up's coming
    Cool and how about a thanks in the op at least.
    very nicely written tutorial man, thanks. Now I have couple of questions. If I wanna do a clean install the procedure is same other than restoring i flash the new rom? And Odin stock firmware will change the file system back to original? One more thing is there a way to check if its succesfully converted to f2fs?
    You should do the conversion after you have a rom and f2fs compatible kernel already installed just like it says in the op.

You can check if it was successful by downloading this app or equivalent

Check out "DiskInfo"
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=me.kuder.diskinfo

Yes Odin will change it back to ext4