Battery Charged in 30 Seconds? Maybe in 2016

Phones and tablets are getting more and more power hungry with each passing generation. Their … more

ZArchive Manages Your File Archives

Today smartphones are quite powerful devices that can handle multiple processes at once. In fact, some of … more

Regain Double Tap to Wake Functionality on the Nexus 6

A few months ago, Google announced its newest flagship device, the Nexus 6, alongside … more

Clean Your Recent Apps – XDA Xposed Tuesday

In this day and age, you have quite a few apps installed and running on your Android … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] T-Mobile Note II is only partially rooted.

OP J3D1mineTR1X

4th July 2014, 10:48 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

12 posts
Hi All,
Recently I tried to root my T-Mobile Note II running stock 4.3 with a few of the one ctick root apps. I've tried framaroot (no go), towelroot (not supported) rootmaster (vRoot) I think that's where the partial root came into play. It installed an app called kinguser (that says I'm not rooted WTH!). It also installed it as a system app, so now I can't uninstall it. I installed supersu which has to update binaries, but it won't disable Knox. Rootchecker also says I'm rooted somewhat. The 1st paragraph under congratulations says I'm rooted. Everything else says no I'm not. User and group ID is not returning or something to that effect. When I learned about the one click apps I thought it was a Godsend because I don't have a computer. I've tried so many things to try to get around Knox, nothing is working. Installed it then deleted it like I read somewhere, tried the su pm com.sec.knox.seandroid on terminal emulator still no go. I even tried to play around with the commands for knox on terminal emulator atill no go. I don't know if its something security related with the phone or what. I used towelroot on my girlfriends Sgh t999L with stock 4.3 and it worked. So now I'm really pissed! I've searched the web for anything like this and couldn't find nothing. I know I'm not the only one this has happened to. I used some app cant remember the name, but it did ask me to use root access for something. But it wasn't through supersu. Plus it wasn't a root type of app so I refused access. I'm trying remember everything before I post this, dont wanna post it and remember something right after I do. I know its a lot of great minds on hear hopefully someone will be able to help me out with this situation. Thanks in advance XDA members..

PS. Does anyone know what modstring. I can use to maybe get towelroot to work? Or of any other terminal emulator commands for knox.
Last edited by J3D1mineTR1X; 4th July 2014 at 10:58 AM. Reason: Misspelled some words.
4th July 2014, 09:30 PM   |  #2  
Flag East of Seattle
Thanks Meter: 766

2,010 posts
More
Just Odin flash the root66 tar from MrRobinson. You'll end up rooted and running fine...

Hastily spouted for your befuddlement
4th July 2014, 11:01 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

12 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coug76

Just Odin flash the root66 tar from MrRobinson. You'll end up rooted and running fine...

Thanks for the prompt response Coug76. I read several of the route66 posts. It appears that this method is for the sgh t999 variants. I was able to acquire root access with towelroot for this phone. I didn't find any mention of the note 2 sgh t889 in any of those posts. I know that you are supposed to use methods for the particular model. I don't know if this is a universal method or what. I ran a different rootchecker app and it says that I have root but not root access. I understand the gist of that, but it isn't helping my situation. Is it safe to use this method for my phone, or could you please recommend something else that I can use? It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again for the quick response. Awaiting your reply. Thanks in advance.
5th July 2014, 08:33 AM   |  #4  
Flag East of Seattle

2,010 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by J3D1mineTR1X

Thanks for the prompt response Coug76. I read several of the route66 posts. It appears that this method is for the sgh t999 variants. I was able to acquire root access with towelroot for this phone. I didn't find any mention of the note 2 sgh t889 in any of those posts. I know that you are supposed to use methods for the particular model. I don't know if this is a universal method or what. I ran a different rootchecker app and it says that I have root but not root access. I understand the gist of that, but it isn't helping my situation. Is it safe to use this method for my phone, or could you please recommend something else that I can use? It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again for the quick response. Awaiting your reply. Thanks in advance.

There is a sticky in the Development Section.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1975560

5th July 2014, 09:21 AM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member

12 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coug76

There is a sticky in the Development Section.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1975560

Thanks for your assistance and pointing me in the right direction. Since I don't have a computer, I'll have to wait til Monday to try this at the library. Thanks again, very much appreciated...
5th July 2014, 03:43 PM   |  #6  
Flag East of Seattle

2,010 posts
More
Quote:

Thanks for your assistance and pointing me in the right direction. Since I don't have a computer, I'll have to wait til Monday to try this at the library. Thanks again, very much appreciated...

While I prefer pc Odin, mobile Odin from Chainfire should take care of you. The only thing it won't flash in a Samsung tar is the bootloader. You already have the mk7 bootloader so you should be fine.

The Following User Says Thank You to Coug76 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
5th July 2014, 06:51 PM   |  #7  
OP Junior Member

12 posts
Thanks again Coug76, your help is both needed and appropriated. I just purchased and tried [Root] Mobile Odin Pro. First time it asked for superuser permission. The next few times it gave me an "couldn't detect phone model" error message. So, apparently I need superuser permission to run the app (I'm not sure) . I got a refund after a few tries..

Sent from my SGH-T889 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
5th July 2014, 06:57 PM   |  #8  
OP Junior Member

12 posts
Appreciated (type-o), apologize for that.

6th July 2014, 12:06 AM   |  #9  
Flag East of Seattle

2,010 posts
More
Quote:

Appreciated (type-o), apologize for that.

There is a free version if Mobile Odin available on XDA FWIW. You would need root to make it work though. Brainfart there from yours truly.

6th July 2014, 12:26 AM   |  #10  
OP Junior Member

12 posts
LOL! Thanks again my friend. I see there's wisdom in your words. Quick question: If mobile Odin ever comes around again to its former glory. What would be the steps to take to install what's needed? Once again thanks. As you see I'm still not rooted but I still purchased the XDA Premium 4 app. Mainly because of my correspondence with you my friend. Thanks again, can't say that it enough. You've given me hope when I thought all hope was lost.
*What good is knowledge, if its not to be shared* Read that on the back of a cereal box, naw I didn't. LOL!

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread