I did enable the USB debugging, and did wait until the phone was in "media" mode before proceeding. When asked by my phone I did allow USB debugging access. If the drivers are missing on the PC I'd be very surprised. I installed both the official Samsung USB drivers and the Koush Universal ADB drivers. I'm at a loss, honestly
If you mean the one posted by NetworkPro in Post #27 here, I tried that as well. That's the short "GhettoRoot.bat" output I posted. I also tried the earlier versions of GhettoRoot posted in the OP but with no luck there either. I'll try again to get their output and post those later.
Thanks for such a prompt reply, RBEmerson. But it looks like my phone is some kind of exception to the rule here. Even with a factory reset before these recent attempts, these same errors continue to hound me.
To start with
Removing old root files. * daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 * * daemon started successfully * error: device not found
It could be bad or missing drivers, a bad cable, a bad port, the phone doesn't have USB debugging enabled and if it's enabled the phone is not in media mode. I'm sure there are more possibilities but these are some easy explanations. Until you can do "adb devices" and get a result very close to the one I posted earlier, anything else is a waste of time. The PC and phone must be on talking terms. If they're not, nothing else in GhettoRoot, odin, adb, etc. is going to work. Ever.
As in life in general, and certainly in troubleshooting, "assume is the mother of all feck-ups". So assume nothing about the phone or PC unless the proof is clear and in front of you.