21 posts
Thanks Meter: 65

By 25yvdgpo06, Junior Member on 1st September 2014, 06:22 AM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
12th December 2015, 07:52 AM |#611  
Thanks Meter: 10

More
My workaround for getting root
Just for the record, I thought I would post my experience getting rooted. I just upgraded to 4.4.2 from being at 4.3 bootlocked for a long time. Now that my Verizon Note 2 is now only used as my primary Android device, I decided to upgrade to 4.4.2 to get ChromeCast screen mirroring, etc. and, of course, root.

I used a Microsoft Surface Pro 1 with Win 10 and I had the damnedest time trying to get ghettoroot to work. My device would authorize fine, but root just wouldn't work. Followed all the instructions, got everything seemingly good to go, but would still throw errors like YOU ARE A SCARY DEVICE and no root. Really? lol

I ended up finding the GhettoRoot All-in-One/Networking Pro thread here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=55210343. Once I downloaded it, I tried many times to get the device to authorize but no dice.

Anyway, here's my workaround that finally got me rooted:
1) Start Command Prompt
2) Run ghettoroot_v3.2 INSTALL script
3) Get your device to authorize
4) Once it does, hit Ctrl-C and terminate the batch job. You should go back to the command prompt.
5) Run GhettoRoot All-in-One. Your device will still be authorized! Everything should work.

I don't know why I had to go all this but I would assume that, once you authorize the device, you lose it when GhettoRoot closes and adb stops. But, if you run it within a command prompt so it doesn't automatically exit, the authorization obviously stays active until you close the command session.

Anyway, if you get stuck like I did, try it and see if it works for you! The All-in-One definitely worked for me.
The Following User Says Thank You to gee1000 For This Useful Post: [ View ]

26th December 2015, 10:49 AM |#612  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gee1000

Just for the record, I thought I would post my experience getting rooted. I just upgraded to 4.4.2 from being at 4.3 bootlocked for a long time. Now that my Verizon Note 2 is now only used as my primary Android device, I decided to upgrade to 4.4.2 to get ChromeCast screen mirroring, etc. and, of course, root.

I used a Microsoft Surface Pro 1 with Win 10 and I had the damnedest time trying to get ghettoroot to work. My device would authorize fine, but root just wouldn't work. Followed all the instructions, got everything seemingly good to go, but would still throw errors like YOU ARE A SCARY DEVICE and no root. Really? lol

I ended up finding the GhettoRoot All-in-One/Networking Pro thread here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=55210343. Once I downloaded it, I tried many times to get the device to authorize but no dice.

Anyway, here's my workaround that finally got me rooted:
1) Start Command Prompt
2) Run ghettoroot_v3.2 INSTALL script
3) Get your device to authorize
4) Once it does, hit Ctrl-C and terminate the batch job. You should go back to the command prompt.
5) Run GhettoRoot All-in-One. Your device will still be authorized! Everything should work.

I don't know why I had to go all this but I would assume that, once you authorize the device, you lose it when GhettoRoot closes and adb stops. But, if you run it within a command prompt so it doesn't automatically exit, the authorization obviously stays active until you close the command session.

Anyway, if you get stuck like I did, try it and see if it works for you! The All-in-One definitely worked for me.

Thank you! That worked for me. For some reason Ghettoroot kept failing and the all-in-one could not detect the phone. However, I did not Ctr-C Ghettoroot, just left it running.

Note: For reference, this was in a virtual Windows 7 machine via VirtualBox on an Ubuntu host.
1st January 2016, 03:22 AM |#613  

More
Success!
Thank you everyone for all the info on this thread! I finally managed to root my Note 2 using the all in one method. I tried many times and ran into a few false starts, which I will try to describe for the benefit of anyone else that runs into them.

I first tried using just the v0.3.2 ghetto root INSTALL script. It saw the device and seemed to run ok and said it was successful, but there was an error message about a missing newline in root.sh, and afterward Root Checker said I did not have root access. I could not find the 0.2.2 to download, but started messing around with adb.

(The reason you have to type "adb devices" in a command window is that "devices" is an argument to adb.exe. If you type "adb /?" in a command window you can see it has a lot of command line options. This cannot be done just by clicking in a window.)

Anyway I ran adb devices, but the INSTALL still didn't work. So I tried again in an Administrative shell, but still no luck. I then downloaded the all-in-one GhettoRoot.zip (see links above) but this could not see my device. I started playing with the adb devices command but it was giving me "List of devices" and nothing in the list. After much rebooting my phone, trying various options, and searching forums, it occurred to me that maybe adb.exe was already running. I checked Task Manager and found it was indeed running, so I used End Process and killed it. That was when everything started working.

I suspect if you run adb and it DOESN'T find anything it stays resident in memory unless you reboot the computer or use task manager to kill it. Maybe I messed it up when I reinstalled drivers or changed options or revoked and reenabled debug access. I don't know, but it wasn't seeing the phone, no matter how many times I ran it. I think it saved the info from when it started and never tried to update it. Killing and restarting it forced a reset. Maybe it sounds like I am belaboring this, but it had me confused and frustrated for a couple of hours, and maybe this will save someone some trouble.

Here are the steps I followed successfully:

1. install the Samsung drivers
2. ensure the phone is booted with debugging enabled, in media mode, etc. You'll know the computer sees the phone if autorun tries to open a window to browse the phone when you plug it in.
3. start a command window as Administrator, and go to the GhettoRoot directory
4. run "adb devices" and verify that your phone serial number is listed. If it is not, the root installer will fail and you first need to make sure adb sees it before proceeding.
5. run GhettoRoot.bat. When I ran it it complained about missing files and such. I ignored these messages and just tested to see if it worked anyway.
6. install Root Checker and SuperSU. Use root checker to verify that you have root access.
Done!

Bottom line is the GhettoRoot.zip all-in-one worked, the ghettoroot-v0.3.2 did not, and typing "adb devices" on the command line has hidden gotchas. I suspect if I had not tried the 0.3.2 and adb first, the all-in-one would have worked on the first try.

Again thanks everyone.
2nd February 2016, 03:24 PM |#614  

More
I don't see DM mentioned anywhere, so I thought I would. The only way I could get ADB to see the phone was to turn on DM Mode. Following the instructions, I dialed ##366633# and enabled DM Mode. After that, there was no more notification about connecting installer business and ADB would connect. Then I used the method g1000 mentioned to root the phone. SuperSU was not in the app drawer, but it was installed and could be updated after downloading the SuperSU app from the play store.

I don't know what DM is, but I disabled it again after the root.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)