Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] CM10 SD card woes

OP thorvindr

12th July 2014, 12:40 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

17 posts
I've been running CM10.1.3 and mostly loving it.

The thing that bothers me is that my "external" SD card is essentially useless. The only thing I can do with it is manually copy files to and from.

Ideally, I'm looking for a solution that will allow me to install apps to my SD card (preferably by default, but I'd settle for being able to easily move them), as well as set it as my default storage location (that's less important) for everything except system apps. For example, I can't tell Chrome to do anything but download to the default location, so I need that default location to be where I want it so that I don't have to manually copy every single file Chrome downloads.

I understand there's a way to fool the OS into thinking that my SD card is actually the internal memory, but that doesn't solve my problem. I need to be able to selectively move apps and storage directories to the SD card, otherwise I'll have exactly the same problem I have now. My SD card is bigger than my internal memory, but the difference of 4gb doesn't really sound like a solution.

I feel like I've jumped through enough hoops getting CM10 to do what I need it to do, and I'm ready to abandon it for something new. I'll try anything; the only requirement is that I need to be able to install or move apps to my SD card. I don't need the OS to do it right in the app manager; If I have to use Rom Toolbox or Titanium Backup or some other app to do it, I'm fine with that. But that function of those apps doesn't work on CM10.

I understand that there are nightly builds of CM11 available for the Note 2, but they're listed as "unstable" for a reason, and I'm not sure (though not entirely against) I'm interested in having to flash up to the new build every couple days. I think I'd be pretty safe with CM, but I don't want to be stuck without some device function I consider vital because today's build borked it.

Part of me wants to be convinced that getting on the CM nightly train is worth my while, and part of me just wants to be given a solution of "here is the ROM you're looking for."

So is there a JB or KK ROM out there that will do what I need? Am I just boned until a CM11 RC shows up? Is there a reasonably sure-fire way to make CM10 do this (I've tried every one of a very long list of solutions and have had no success without wiping and reflashing)?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
apps 2 sd, cm10, sd card
Previous Thread Next Thread