Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Flashing back to stock ROM from a bootloop/possible brick.

OP Ethan.S

10th August 2014, 03:28 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
I have a Verizon galaxy note II, and had been running AllianceROM.
AllianceROM seemed to be running pretty good until one day when my accelerometer stopped working. I thought it may be a software bug, so I tried to reflash the ROM. I got a bootloop, and tried again.

I tried to flash cyanogenmod 11 and still got a bootloop. Then I realized I didn't have a safe backup.

I attempted to flash some stock firmware through ODIN, since I couldn't get anything to work through cwm.

In the end, I'm stuck with a note II that can't boot. When I try to turn it on, I see the galaxy note II logo, but then the screen goes black (not off, I have to pop the battery out before I can try again.) Power+home+volume up now brings me to android system recovery/manual mode, and power+home+volume down gets me to ODIN mode.

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated. I really wasn't planning on getting a new phone at this point, so I hope it's not beyond fixing! Thanks in advance.
10th August 2014, 04:21 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 84

240 posts
More
Ethan,

It sounds like you should be able to fix your device if you are careful. If you can boot into the stock recovery using power+ home + volume up buttons, then do a factory reset and wipe cache... that might fix your problem and let the device boot up normally.

You should also check out Droidstyle's restore guide at this link: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=34891181. His guide has links and detailed instructions on how to restore back to stock. (Hit the thanks button for him too... as he spent a lot of time making the guide).

Remember that 4.1.2 is the last build that allows us to unlock our bootloader, so don't restore the device to 4.3 or 4.4.2 unless you want to permanently lock your bootloader. Also, there's no current root method for our phones if they get updated to stock 4.4.2, so don't odin that unless you decide you don't want root and custom ROM'S anymore.

Good luck!
Last edited by mattnmag; 10th August 2014 at 04:24 AM.
10th August 2014, 12:01 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattnmag

Ethan,

It sounds like you should be able to fix your device if you are careful. If you can boot into the stock recovery using power+ home + volume up buttons, then do a factory reset and wipe cache... that might fix your problem and let the device boot up normally.

You should also check out Droidstyle's restore guide at this link: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=34891181. His guide has links and detailed instructions on how to restore back to stock. (Hit the thanks button for him too... as he spent a lot of time making the guide).

Remember that 4.1.2 is the last build that allows us to unlock our bootloader, so don't restore the device to 4.3 or 4.4.2 unless you want to permanently lock your bootloader. Also, there's no current root method for our phones if they get updated to stock 4.4.2, so don't odin that unless you decide you don't want root and custom ROM'S anymore.

Good luck!

I just tried following that guide, installing the .pit file and the suggested stock firmware, but Odin reported "FAIL" instead of "PASS."
Now when I try to turn my phone on or go to stock recovery, I get the message "Firmware upgrade encountered an issue. Please use Software Repair Assistant & try again."

Any hope left?
10th August 2014, 04:46 PM   |  #4  

240 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan.S

I just tried following that guide, installing the .pit file and the suggested stock firmware, but Odin reported "FAIL" instead of "PASS."
Now when I try to turn my phone on or go to stock recovery, I get the message "Firmware upgrade encountered an issue. Please use Software Repair Assistant & try again."

Any hope left?

Yes, there's still hope to fix it if you can get the phone into download mode.

Here's some info to clarify before you try something else.... What firmware did you try to install when you used Droidstyle's guide? Also, in your initial post, you said "I attempted to flash some stock firmware through ODIN, since I couldn't get anything to work through cwm." What firmware did you flash at that point.... was it one of the Verizon stock firmwares? And what build number was it ( 4.1.2 VRAMC3 , 4.3 VRUEMJ9, 4.4.2 VRUFND7)?

I ask this because, if you flashed 4.3 or 4.4.2, then you can no longer restore back to 4.1.2....you would have to restore back to one of those newer versions (and those newer firmwares actually lock the bootloader and install Knox security features... so that's why I was suggesting not to use them--- unless you already did before you had placed your original post for help).

If you can't restore the phone through ODIN using Droidstyle's guide, then you might try the emergency firmware recovery feature that's available through the Samsung Kies program. You can find Kies at this link: http://www.samsung.com/us/kies/

**The KIES instructions say to use Kies version 2.6 for Firmware recovery back to 4.1.2, and use Kies version 3 for Firmware 4.3 and 4.4.2.

Here's a link to Kies 3 FAQ as well: ( http://www.samsung.com/us/support/Su...1&fm_seq=81528 ). Scroll down under Basic Functions and look for the link to "How do I Perform an Emergency Firmware Recovery..." The process should be similar if you plan to use KIES 2.6 instead - (that's only if you're able to restore back to 4.1.2 and you never Odin flashed one of the newer 4.3+ firmwares) .

I hope you can get it fixed. If you're not sure of things, I would suggest researching more and asking more questions before going forward. There is risk that we all take whenever we start modifying our phones, and the more knowledge we can get, the better chances of recovering from errors when we mess something up. (I know I've made plenty of errors as I've tried to learn... I even bricked my Tranformer Prime tablet shortly after receiving it from EBay :banghead: ). If worst comes to worst, you might end up having to pay someone to do a Jtag repair to unbrick it.... but let's hope it doesn't come to that.
Last edited by mattnmag; 10th August 2014 at 05:51 PM.
10th August 2014, 05:47 PM   |  #5  

240 posts
More
Also-- you could try Verizon's Software Upgrade/Repair Assistant found here: ( http://www.verizonwireless.com/suppo...se.html/80201/ ). I have no idea what the differences are between Verizon's software repair assistant and Kies.... **
Last edited by mattnmag; 10th August 2014 at 05:52 PM.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread