Microsoft Unveils the Lumia 640 and Lumia 640 XL

more

New Cyanogen Inc. Brand Identity, Qualcomm Partnership

The post New Cyanogen Inc. Brand Identity, Qualcomm Partnership appeared first on … more

Google Keyboard Custom Smilies Module

more

HTC One M9 & Samsung Galaxy S6 Unveiled – XDA TV

The post HTC One M9 & Samsung Galaxy S6 Unveiled – XDA TV appeared first on … more
Post Reply

How do I install CM11 on MJ9 firmware?

OP lemonboi5

28th July 2014, 12:07 AM   |  #1  
lemonboi5's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 404
 
364 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2012
Donate to Me
More
Hello all. New to the Verizon note 2 but not the forums. I have a Note 2 that I used odin to get up to MJ9 from the 4.1.2 firmware. I have safestrap installed but when I go to install CM11 it just hangs on the boot animation. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
28th July 2014, 12:24 AM   |  #2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 21
 
114 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2012
You have to wipe system, data and cache before flashing (installing) CM 11. Also make sure you have the correct CM 11 because its different for each carrier. I personally have the US Cellular Note 2, it will let me install Verizon things because the physical device is the same but things like calling and data doesn't work or it might boot loop or get stuck like yours is doing. I know I got confused when I first started flashing things to my phone by trying to flash the international model files and they wouldn't work.
28th July 2014, 12:29 AM   |  #3  
lemonboi5's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 404
 
364 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2012
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluemgt06

You have to wipe system, data and cache before flashing (installing) CM 11. Also make sure you have the correct CM 11 because its different for each carrier. I personally have the US Cellular Note 2, it will let me install Verizon things because the physical device is the same but things like calling and data doesn't work or it might boot loop or get stuck like yours is doing. I know I got confused when I first started flashing things to my phone by trying to flash the international model files and they wouldn't work.

Thanks for the quick response!
I got the one for the i605. I actually have AT&T and would like to use AT&T service on this note 2. I just wasn't getting service where I live for some weird reason unless I use an ATT phone. I created a second slot did a complete wipe and install, then restart and now it's just black. I can reboot and get into recovery though.
28th July 2014, 12:38 AM   |  #4  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 21
 
114 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2012
You cannot use the Verizon Note 2 on AT&T because the Verizon is CDMA network and AT&T is GSM. There is a hardware difference.
28th July 2014, 12:54 AM   |  #5  
lemonboi5's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 404
 
364 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2012
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluemgt06

You cannot use the Verizon Note 2 on AT&T because the Verizon is CDMA network and AT&T is GSM. There is a hardware difference.

I would at least like to have cyanogenmod on it then. Its still just black screened.
28th July 2014, 01:00 AM   |  #6  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 21
 
114 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2012
Are you flashing a nightly build or a milestone?

---------- Post added at 07:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:57 PM ----------

I can't get recent nightly builds to boot at all on my Note 2, the Milestone (very few bugs) will boot though.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bluemgt06 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
28th July 2014, 01:07 AM   |  #7  
lemonboi5's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 404
 
364 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2012
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluemgt06

Are you flashing a nightly build or a milestone?

---------- Post added at 07:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:57 PM ----------

I can't get recent nightly builds to boot at all on my Note 2, the Milestone (very few bugs) will boot though.

M7 or 8? Thanks!
28th July 2014, 01:09 AM   |  #8  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 21
 
114 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2012
M8 is the newest one. Be sure to get GAPPS too so you can get to the App Store.
28th July 2014, 01:15 AM   |  #9  
lemonboi5's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 404
 
364 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2012
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluemgt06

M8 is the newest one. Be sure to get GAPPS too so you can get to the App Store.

Downloading now! Thanks!
28th July 2014, 01:39 AM   |  #10  
rchrdcrg's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Branson, MO
Thanks Meter: 27
 
162 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonboi5

Hello all. New to the Verizon note 2 but not the forums. I have a Note 2 that I used odin to get up to MJ9 from the 4.1.2 firmware. I have safestrap installed but when I go to install CM11 it just hangs on the boot animation. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Is your bootloader unlocked? If not, then as I understand things with SafeStrap, you have to use a Samsung-based ROM as you can only change the ROM and not the kernel. Trying to install CM11 will not install the CM-based kernel, so it won't boot. If your bootloader is unlocked, you shouldn't be using SafeStrap as it's only a workaround for those of us who can't unlock our bootloaders.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes