Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,770,713 Members 39,419 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] How to Odin?

Tip us?

thorvindr
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Prompt [Q] How to Odin?

I'm trying to follow this guide to go from CM10.1.3 to rooted KitKat, which I then plan to de-bloat using Titanium Backup (or similar). It's been so long since I needed Odin that I thought I'd return to this other guide for a refresher.

That just confused me, because it doesn't really cover "how to Odin." It's a very specific guide of "how to return to factory settings/stock condition." Since that's not what I'm doing, I'm hesitant to follow those instructions. I know what files I need to use, I just don't remember how to Odin.

Can someone point me in the right direction? There are a bunch of guides involving Odin, but most of them are "how to use Odin to do a very specific thing," none of which is what I'm trying to do. Is there a very basic "how to Odin" guide that I'm somehow not seeing?

I think I can figure this out, but it seems that flashing up to KitKat is not easily undone (or, it seems, can't be undone at all). So I want to make sure I do it properly, because I feel like I'm essentially burning my ship behind me. So I just want to make sure I Odin properly.

lacoursiere18
Old
Recognized Themer
Thanks Meter 3834

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorvindr View Post
I'm trying to follow this guide to go from CM10.1.3 to rooted KitKat, which I then plan to de-bloat using Titanium Backup (or similar). It's been so long since I needed Odin that I thought I'd return to this other guide for a refresher.

That just confused me, because it doesn't really cover "how to Odin." It's a very specific guide of "how to return to factory settings/stock condition." Since that's not what I'm doing, I'm hesitant to follow those instructions. I know what files I need to use, I just don't remember how to Odin.

Can someone point me in the right direction? There are a bunch of guides involving Odin, but most of them are "how to use Odin to do a very specific thing," none of which is what I'm trying to do. Is there a very basic "how to Odin" guide that I'm somehow not seeing?

I think I can figure this out, but it seems that flashing up to KitKat is not easily undone (or, it seems, can't be undone at all). So I want to make sure I do it properly, because I feel like I'm essentially burning my ship behind me. So I just want to make sure I Odin properly.

Ok first off.. Odin is not as complicated as everyone seems to make it. If you do not use it in awhile I can understand. It is a very good way to mess up your phone though if you do not flash the correct things..bootloader, modem etc etc..
  1. So you need to download Odin from HERE
  2. Next download the 16GB pit file HERE
  3. Next download MJ9 firmware HERE (Thank OP)
  4. Put your phone into Download Mode (Volume button down, Home button, Power button)
  5. Plug your phone into PC you have Odin on
  6. Open Odin (Should see a yellow COM come up in boxes)
  7. Put the pit file in PIT
  8. Put the MJ9 firmware in PDA
  9. Hit start..

You should be good to flash KK now.. The MJ9 firmware is to update your params and tz to get wifi working and also updates your modem

Now if you want to re lock with NO root and update to KK let me know.. There is more steps..

Or if you have any other ?'s just post here..

Hit "Thanks" if I helped you
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lacoursiere18 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

thorvindr
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Allright. I appreciate the quick how-to. But again, you're not telling me how Odin works. You're giving me specific instructions to solve my problem.

I'm grateful for that, but I'm just going to be asking again in a week when I need to do something slightly different because I still don't know how to use the software. Is there no guide out there explaining Odin in detail? Or even in broad strokes? I just want a quick run-down on what everything in the Odin window means, because none of it is self-explanatory.

kirwoodd
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Will using Odin do a wipe?
If not, is there an option to have it do a wipe?
The Following User Says Thank You to kirwoodd For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

lacoursiere18
Old
Recognized Themer
Thanks Meter 3834

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Allright. I appreciate the quick how-to. But again, you're not telling me how Odin works. You're giving me specific instructions to solve my problem.

I'm grateful for that, but I'm just going to be asking again in a week when I need to do something slightly different because I still don't know how to use the software. Is there no guide out there explaining Odin in detail? Or even in broad strokes? I just want a quick run-down on what everything in the Odin window means, because none of it is self-explanatory.
Those are the two boxes you will ever need to use or know about..

I do not know of a Guide that specifies everything.. But you can check out this site
http://odindownload.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirwoodd View Post
Will using Odin do a wipe?
If not, is there an option to have it do a wipe?
Depends what you are flashing and what you check.. If you are flashing a official tar yes it will wipe your phone.. If you are flashing just a modem or recovery, No it will not..
Also, if you check Erase All, it will wipe everything (You should never have to/use this option)

The Following User Says Thank You to lacoursiere18 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

thorvindr
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacoursiere18 View Post
Those are the two boxes you will ever need to use or know about..

I do not know of a Guide that specifies everything.. But you can check out this site
http://odindownload.com/
Thanks. I will definitely check that out.

Quote:
Depends what you are flashing and what you check.. If you are flashing a official tar yes it will wipe your phone.. If you are flashing just a modem or recovery, No it will not..
Also, if you check Erase All, it will wipe everything (You should never have to/use this option)
Shouldn't have to use it, or really should avoid it? I'm having problems wiping my phone. Using the wipe/delete/format tools in CWM is for some reason not actually wiping. It's just deleting all my apps and all my settings, but none of the app data. For intsance, the MP3s I've downloaded from Amazon stay, but the app itself is gone. All my Kindle books are still there, but the app is gone. I want to remove everything from the device that might be considered "user data." I could just plug it into my laptop and format the drive, but I don't know if that would affect the OS or the bootloader or anything like that.

So is using the erase all option safe, or will it mess things up?

lacoursiere18
Old
Recognized Themer
Thanks Meter 3834

DONATE TO ME
Quote:

Shouldn't have to use it, or really should avoid it? I'm having problems wiping my phone. Using the wipe/delete/format tools in CWM is for some reason not actually wiping. It's just deleting all my apps and all my settings, but none of the app data. For intsance, the MP3s I've downloaded from Amazon stay, but the app itself is gone. All my Kindle books are still there, but the app is gone. I want to remove everything from the device that might be considered "user data." I could just plug it into my laptop and format the drive, but I don't know if that would affect the OS or the bootloader or anything like that.

My suggestion to you would be to flash TWRP. I do not think CWM/Philz has a wipe internal option.. In TWRP it is under Advance Wipe. If you still have issues wiping you may need to pursue down a different road..

The Following User Says Thank You to lacoursiere18 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

BluGuy
Old
(Last edited by BluGuy; 21st July 2014 at 08:18 PM.)
Thanks Meter 22
Quote:

Are you wiping internal storage? I don't know how it is done on cwm but with twrp you have to specify you want to wipe internal, totally separate wipe from factory reset, and then confirm it by typing yes.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to BluGuy For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

thorvindr
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Okay. I suppose I'll have to look into TWRP. I've always used CWM because it's what I "grew up with," so to speak. But if there's something out there that will better do what I need, I suppose it's time to trade up.

lacoursiere18
Old
Recognized Themer
Thanks Meter 3834

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Okay. I suppose I'll have to look into TWRP. I've always used CWM because it's what I "grew up with," so to speak. But if there's something out there that will better do what I need, I suppose it's time to trade up.
I am not saying twrp is better. I enjoyed using twrp for a LONG time, ui is GREAT. But since 4.3 came out it has had a data corruption bug and sometimes root issues. So no I have used philz for the past couple weeks with aroma file manager and it has been great.
The only reason I recommended twrp was because of the available wipe options and that I do not know of anything like that in cwm recoveries..

Tags
cyanogenmod, kitkat, odin