FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Q] settings have stopped?

709 posts
Thanks Meter: 46

By iflip, Senior Member on 9th September 2015, 06:45 PM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
hi all its been a while since ive been on the boards because ive been running rooted stock deodexed rom. i havent flashed in a year or so but just recently my settings have stopped.
i continually have been getting this message instantly after ancelling out the message. i cannot get past the select language option. theres no escape.
I couldn't even backup my current rom. so i did a battery pull and rebooted into recovery to flash different roms. I've tried dn3 which was the last rom i had saved to my sd card, and miui7. both yielded the same results of the same message about the settings has stopped. its obvious something has went bad over time. i have done nothing but use it as a phone. no flashing or anything. is there something i need to flash in order to troubleshoot this issue? i do not have the money to obtain a replacement through assurion. also my recovery wouldnt let me restore my 1 backup on my sd card. so is there anything i can do from scratch? any settings zips to flash? Odin? ive searched boards and nothing specific to my device (I605). please help
Last edited by iflip; 9th September 2015 at 07:31 PM.

9th September 2015, 09:59 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 163

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by iflip

hi all its been a while since ive been on the boards because ive been running rooted stock deodexed rom. i havent flashed in a year or so but just recently my settings have stopped.
i continually have been getting this message instantly after ancelling out the message. i cannot get past the select language option. theres no escape.
I couldn't even backup my current rom. so i did a battery pull and rebooted into recovery to flash different roms. I've tried dn3 which was the last rom i had saved to my sd card, and miui7. both yielded the same results of the same message about the settings has stopped. its obvious something has went bad over time. i have done nothing but use it as a phone. no flashing or anything. is there something i need to flash in order to troubleshoot this issue? i do not have the money to obtain a replacement through assurion. also my recovery wouldnt let me restore my 1 backup on my sd card. so is there anything i can do from scratch? any settings zips to flash? Odin? ive searched boards and nothing specific to my device (I605). please help

I'm assuming you are still on the 4.1.2 bootloader, since you were able to flash miui7 and dn3.

If something has gotten corrupted, you could try Odin'ing the stock recovery back onto the device by following the directions on this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=53624921

After getting the stock recovery on the device, do a factory reset and wipe cache in the stock recovery. Then you can use ODIN to reinstall CWM/Philz or TWRP (whichever recovery you were using previously). Hopefully you have an old backup you could restore... or you can set up your ROM again from the start after rebooting back into the system.

If worse comes to worst and wiping in the Stock recovery doesn't fix things...sounds like you may have to Odin back to stock 4.1.2, and then reroot with CASUAL and start over again. Droidstyle put together a good guide on how to restore the phone back to stock 4.1.2... you can find his guide here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=34891181. I think the 4.1.2 firmware link is down, but you can grab it from Sammobile.com.

You probably know... but don't flash the official Stock 4.3 or 4.4.2 Firmware onto the phone because there's no current bootloader unlock methods for those..... 4.1.2 is the last Android version for our I605's that has a "do it yourself" bootloader unlock method.
Last edited by mattnmag; 9th September 2015 at 10:09 PM.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)