Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,809,424 Members 36,029 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Paypal Chargeback on a Swapp.com sale

Tip us?
 
CZ Eddie
Old
#1  
CZ Eddie's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 977
Posts: 3,511
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Austin, TX

 
DONATE TO ME
Exclamation Paypal Chargeback on a Swapp.com sale

So I sold a Galaxy S5 on swappa.com two months ago for $585.
I shipped the S5 via USPS Priority (with tracking number) to an address in Florida.
Low and behold, two months later, completely out of the blue, Paypal just subtracted $585 from my Paypal account, so now it's in the negative.
Seems the buyer initiated a "Unauthorized Payment Chargeback".
I've submitted my tracking # and Swappa.com sale ID to Paypal and they are "reviewing the claim". But some quick Googling says I'm probably about to lose $585 when Paypal deducts it from my checking account.

I called my Credit Union and they need form after form after form and a $30 fee to block PayPal and the form can't be submitted until AFTER Paypal takes the funds from my checking account. And then there is no guarantee it'll work?!?

And the Paypal website won't let me remove my checking account from my Paypal account. So if they decide against me, which it sounds like they might, then I'll be screwed.

Just a warning to you guys.
I wanted a quick sale and did not research the buyer before shipping the item. That was my bad.
TMO Galaxy Note 3 on ATT unlimited data plan

  • bri315317's Dynamic Kat 4.4.2 ROM
  • imoseyon's LeanKernel


  • Samsung Galaxy S5
  • Samsung Galaxy S4
  • Samsung Galaxy S3
  • Samsung Galaxy Skyrocket
  • Samsung Infuse
  • HTC Inspire


**** Check out my how-to DIY kickstand case!
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=52585717
**** Visit my XDA thread to help get APT-X High Definition Bluetooth Audio working in AOSP ROM's!
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2531440
 
theorioles33
Old
#2  
theorioles33's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 659
Posts: 774
Join Date: Feb 2011
I don't get it. Why was the charge reversed? Maybe it was a hi-jacked account that was used. That happened to me years ago. The money just magically vanished right out of my bank account. Nobody could tell me how or why. Had to figure it out for myself. Unreal.
 
CZ Eddie
Old
#3  
CZ Eddie's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 977
Posts: 3,511
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Austin, TX

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by theorioles33 View Post
I don't get it. Why was the charge reversed? Maybe it was a hi-jacked account that was used. That happened to me years ago. The money just magically vanished right out of my bank account. Nobody could tell me how or why. Had to figure it out for myself. Unreal.
Yeah, I guess.
What I don't get is why do WE get dinged for this.
It wasn't US who mishandled the buyers charge account.
So wtf. Paypal or Credit Card companies are the ones who should eat the charge.
TMO Galaxy Note 3 on ATT unlimited data plan

  • bri315317's Dynamic Kat 4.4.2 ROM
  • imoseyon's LeanKernel


  • Samsung Galaxy S5
  • Samsung Galaxy S4
  • Samsung Galaxy S3
  • Samsung Galaxy Skyrocket
  • Samsung Infuse
  • HTC Inspire


**** Check out my how-to DIY kickstand case!
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=52585717
**** Visit my XDA thread to help get APT-X High Definition Bluetooth Audio working in AOSP ROM's!
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2531440
 
theorioles33
Old
#4  
theorioles33's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 659
Posts: 774
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by CZ Eddie View Post
Yeah, I guess.
What I don't get is why do WE get dinged for this.
It wasn't US who mishandled the buyers charge account.
So wtf. Paypal or Credit Card companies are the ones who should eat the charge.
Yeah I know. The sellers always get screwed.
 
raduque
Old
(Last edited by raduque; 11th July 2014 at 01:36 AM.)
#5  
raduque's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 136
Posts: 1,251
Join Date: Sep 2007
I'm afraid you're going to have to just use this as a $585 lesson on why you should NEVER use Paypal for anything. I don't have a checking account OR a credit card linked to my PP account.

Edit: I thought Swappa was a broker, of sorts. Don't they get hold the funds till the buyer receives the phone?

Edit2: Call AT&T and Tmo and report the MEID as stolen?
2004 Ford F150 4.6L V8: Stock... for now
Samsung Galaxy Note III
Microsoft Surface RT 64gb
Asus Transformer TF101 32gb: KatKiss 4.3.1
 
colbur87
Old
#6  
colbur87's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 90
Posts: 232
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Oklahoma City
Honestly, i think paypal will rule in your favor. From personal experience of this happening to me on ebay; generally providing paypal with the proof of shipment is enough. Granted, it takes a couple weeks for them to get their stuff together, but just wanted to let you know.

Good luck

for(int i =1; i >0; i++)
{
Print("Android Rulez");
}

--------------------------------
I337 Galaxy S4
 
elaraj
Old
#7  
Member
Thanks Meter 3
Posts: 56
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by CZ Eddie View Post
So I sold a Galaxy S5 on swappa.com two months ago for $585.
I shipped the S5 via USPS Priority (with tracking number) to an address in Florida.
Low and behold, two months later, completely out of the blue, Paypal just subtracted $585 from my Paypal account, so now it's in the negative.
Seems the buyer initiated a "Unauthorized Payment Chargeback".
I've submitted my tracking # and Swappa.com sale ID to Paypal and they are "reviewing the claim". But some quick Googling says I'm probably about to lose $585 when Paypal deducts it from my checking account.

I called my Credit Union and they need form after form after form and a $30 fee to block PayPal and the form can't be submitted until AFTER Paypal takes the funds from my checking account. And then there is no guarantee it'll work?!?

And the Paypal website won't let me remove my checking account from my Paypal account. So if they decide against me, which it sounds like they might, then I'll be screwed.

Just a warning to you guys.
I wanted a quick sale and did not research the buyer before shipping the item. That was my bad.

hi

in my experience if your tracking number show the item was delivered for the address that confirmed on paypal for the buyer at least ( city, state and zipcode ) match then even chargeback will be end up in your favor . but if the address was unconfirmed on paypal then ya they could decided it against you .
 
CZ Eddie
Old
#8  
CZ Eddie's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 977
Posts: 3,511
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Austin, TX

 
DONATE TO ME
Forgot about this thread!
Yeah, they ruled in my favor after holding my account hostage for two weeks. Thanks guys.
TMO Galaxy Note 3 on ATT unlimited data plan

  • bri315317's Dynamic Kat 4.4.2 ROM
  • imoseyon's LeanKernel


  • Samsung Galaxy S5
  • Samsung Galaxy S4
  • Samsung Galaxy S3
  • Samsung Galaxy Skyrocket
  • Samsung Infuse
  • HTC Inspire


**** Check out my how-to DIY kickstand case!
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=52585717
**** Visit my XDA thread to help get APT-X High Definition Bluetooth Audio working in AOSP ROM's!
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2531440
 
graydiggy
Old
#9  
graydiggy's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2,343
Posts: 4,442
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Houma, LA

 
DONATE TO ME
Congratulations on the ruling. And just for that guy being a dick, and trying to scam you, I'd still report it as stolen. But that's just me.

Sent from my SM-N900A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app


Lost in a paper bag again...

Current Device
AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note 3
DynamicKat

Previous Devices
Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 (8 Inch)
Asus Nexus 7 2013
Asus Nexus 7 2012 8GB Variant
AT&T Samsung Galaxy S4
Asus Nexus 7 2012 GSM Variant
Sprint Samsung Galaxy S3
Sprint Samsung Galaxy S2 (Epic 4g Touch)
VZW Samsung Illusion
AT&T HTC Inspire 4G
AT&T Samsung Galaxy S (Captivate)
AT&T Samsung Flight II
AT&T Samsung Impression


Please help me buy a new vehicle. Mine was stolen
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to graydiggy For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
pham818
Old
#10  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 194
Posts: 1,064
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Portland
Quote:
Originally Posted by graydiggy View Post
Congratulations on the ruling. And just for that guy being a dick, and trying to scam you, I'd still report it as stolen. But that's just me.

Sent from my SM-N900A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
same
Current
Samsung Galaxy Note 3 -
Asus Nexus 7 32GB (2013) - scrosler's CleanROM

Past
Samsung Galaxy S4 16GB - Sold
Samsung Galaxy S2 16GB - Given Away
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 16GB - SOLD

Free 500 MB of storage on Dropbox: http://db.tt/d6SOJt2W

Please press thanks if I helped in any way!

THREAD CLOSED
Subscribe
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes