Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,812,812 Members 49,479 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Full review Note 4

Tip us?

fix-this!
Old
Thanks Meter 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by dligon View Post
Well you might as well get used to the bootloader never being unlocked. This is becoming the norm pretty soon you won't find any phones with a unlocked bootloader. The only reason I want it unlocked would be for customized kernel support for better battery life far as ROM I'm fine with stock with a little of the bloat taken off the top. Never understood the ones that buy the Note series and just turn it into a oversize S5 why get it when you don't have the s-pen function or use the s-pen?
On at&t they will always be locked. Same with verizon. Tmobile version wont be locked down. I boycotted sammy long ago. My next device will either be the xnomi mi4 or the nexus 6.

Face_Plant
Old
(Last edited by Face_Plant; 3rd September 2014 at 11:56 PM.)
Thanks Meter 186
I'll pass. The Note 4 turned out like the S5. It's just a "plus" version with no major improvements. In some ways I feel the Note 3 is superior.

SirFork
Old
Thanks Meter 49
As has been said… same phone, minimal improvements. Unless the display is truly that much more impressive I can't justifiably use my two year upgrade to purchase an incremental improvement. With the snapdragon 810 around the corner in 2015 people would just be kicking themselves getting this hardware. Samsung is so bent on beating apple to the punch they shot themselves in the foot by not joining the 64 bit game on this hardware revision. I'm going to wait for android L and all of the things that come with 64 bit goodness.

As cool as the note edge looks, it looks like an expensive, flashy gimmick that will serve no real purpose other than being a footnote in the history of smartphone creation.

That being said, I still love my s pen, and will reserve my final judgments until I have seen them hands on but, like the S5, my first impression is one of thorough disappointment. Go home, samsung. You're drunk.
The Following User Says Thank You to SirFork For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

lildoggs
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by fix-this! View Post
On at&t they will always be locked. Same with verizon. Tmobile version wont be locked down. I boycotted sammy long ago. My next device will either be the xnomi mi4 or the nexus 6.
That's why I'm probably getting the note 4 but I'm ditching att and going to tmobile. Ha ha

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Richieboy67
Old
(Last edited by Richieboy67; 4th September 2014 at 02:15 AM.)
Thanks Meter 324

DONATE TO ME
I love the metal and the screen!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Free mobile app

lildoggs
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richieboy67 View Post
I love the medal and the screen!

I've always liked the metal on the phone too. Ever since I saw it on the iPhone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Richieboy67
Old
Thanks Meter 324

DONATE TO ME
I had to fix my spelling.. Medal.. lol

Years ago I had this HTC clone that had a metal removable back and have always wanted something similar.

If I could get one of these under $700 unlocked I would grab it. As it is I'll most likely be going with the g3 for under $600.. Wish it was metal though.

dawheat
Old
Thanks Meter 83
Personally I see the Note 4 as big a step forward over the Note 3 as it was over the Note 2 (which IMO was considerable). I've owned the Note 2 and Note 3. It fixes the weak areas of the Note 3 and frankly seems to be a phone with no compromises.

- the metal frame alone is a big deal to me - I HATE the chrome plastic frame of the Note 3. Button feel is supposed to be much better as well.
- the Note 3 screen is good but not great. It's still a touch dim compared to the best LCDs and whites are not quite white yet. If the S5 LTE-A 1440p screen is any indicator, both these areas will be noticeably better than the Note 3 screen. And battery life on the LTE-A with the S805 didn't decrease at all vs. the normal S5 with the same battery size.
- The camera needed to get better - the Note 3 is not great indoors and bad in low light. I end up using my wife's iPhone in low light situations.
- Personally I like the fingerprint scanner (even if it's not as good as TouchID) since my work enforces a password unlock to use it for BYOD.

DroidOblivion
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I'm definitely disappointed. I was hoping for the same water resistant goodness of the s5, and I'm thoroughly dumbfounded as to why Sammy left it out both versions of the new Notes. Love the outward design as far as the metal goes, though. This was more update than upgrade by far. Consider the ball dropped.

---------- Post added at 02:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:04 AM ----------

And they could've pushed the 3rd side of the Note edge's bezel back a mm or two... Seems too slim for me

KennyG123
Old
RC-RT Committee / Senior Moderator / Spider-Mod
Thanks Meter 26,188

DONATE TO ME
There is a sticky to discuss other devices
Thanks
FNSM

Moderator Directory - - - FORUM RULES - - - Support Autism Awareness here

THREAD CLOSED
Subscribe