FORUMS

Index Project For XDA Device Subforums

Another ambitious project from the collaborative efforts of Recognized Contributors and Forum … more

The Atlas of XDA

A few weeks ago, we asked you “How Does Your Location Affect Your Life As A Power User?”. In the days that … more

New Snapdragons: Some Context & Contrast

It hasn’t been a good year for Qualcomm so far. Every device featuring the Snapdragon 810 … more

Google To Launch Next Gen Android One On July 14

The first gen of Android One devices to be launched in India in September 2014 were … more

Root lollipop on AT&T Note 3 without Safestrap!

28 posts
Thanks Meter: 5

By rgp1236, Junior Member on 11th June 2015, 03:23 AM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
IT CAN BE DONE

Here's how I did it. (And don't blame me if you brick the phone, etc., etc....)

PLEASE DO NOT ATTEMPT IF YOU DO NOT UNDERSTAND THESE NOTES! Read them thoroughly!

1. Install stock NC2 (Instructions are all over)
2. Root with towelroot.
3. Install latest SU from the play store and update binary (you know the drill, right?)
4. See Chainfire's site here. http://forum.xda-developers.com/gene...hfire-t3075433 Get FlashFire
5. Place the AT&T stock lollipop .tar file on your SD card. It is available in the note 3 forum.
6. Run FlashFire. Once it has done its thing, click on the + sign.
7. Click on flash firmware package and navigate to the stock .tar file.
8. FlashFire will analyze the file and you will see a screen with partitions checked. These are the partitions that FlashFire can write (AND ROOT)
9. Click the download sign at the top on the red bar.
10. Click on the check mark to Create New Archive (FlashFire will create a .tar.md5 file take note of where it is saved and COPY TO YOUR PC BEFORE you run FlashFire! You will need it!
11. Next you will see the screen with ACTIONS on a red bar. Scroll to the bottom and touch FLASH
12. FlashFire will now write the partitions that are checked. When it reboots the phone, IMMEDIATELY hold the volume down, home, and power button to enter download.
13. Go to your PC where you copied the archive (that .tar.md5 fike). Right click on the file and choose rename. Remove the .md5 from the file name or odin will likely give you an error.
14. Open odin and connect your phone. Place the .tar archive FlasFire created in the AP section and flash. It will write the partitions that FlashFire could not.
15. Reboot and enjoy rooted lollipop on your phone.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rgp1236 For This Useful Post: [ View ]

11th June 2015, 06:52 PM |#2  
Flag Dallas
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Hate that I still have to wipe data to get it to boot at all, but a minor gripe I suppose. Just hate having to reinstall my apps and set them back up. Thanks for sharing this, been waiting for something like this for a while!
11th June 2015, 07:02 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 14

More
Yeah but if you're already on rooted nc2, why not just flash the stock rooted lollipop rom?
11th June 2015, 07:33 PM |#4  
Flag Dallas

More
Doesn't that process require using SafeStrap, where this process does not?
11th June 2015, 09:23 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 14

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by netracerx

Doesn't that process require using SafeStrap, where this process does not?

You can use flashfire...
Plus why go through all this hassle to reach the same result?
11th June 2015, 10:09 PM |#6  
OP Junior Member
Flag Dallas

More
That's absolutely true. but think it is a matter of preference. I had some issues with Safestrap, but were it still supported for lollipop, I would probably still be there. I also had a soft brick when I attempted to do a backup, which supposedly still works by booting from the power screen. SO for those who would prefer a cleaner option, this might suit them better. Flashfire also has the potential to install other custom roms. I am still looking at that option.
11th June 2015, 10:31 PM |#7  
Flag Dallas

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by swapavi

You can use flashfire...
Plus why go through all this hassle to reach the same result?

this is the first post i've seen for the N900A that advised using Flashfire, all other posts required using Safestrap (which i personally did not like the idea of using just because it wasn't actually updating the OS on the phone, but essentially tricking the phone into loading a different set of files much like multi-booting). if it were possible to use Flashfire with the rooted lollipop roms, i'm surprised none of the thread OPs updated their posts to reflect that.
12th June 2015, 12:20 AM |#8  
OP Junior Member
Flag Dallas

More
FlashFire has only been out since April. It is Chainfire's successor for Mobile Odin. It takes a while for all of the phones to be tested. There are a couple of other users that have tested it. Just search the FlashFire forum for Note 3 and you can read the comments. At least one other has used it on the AT&T variant.
19th June 2015, 09:22 PM |#9  

More
reboot into download mode
I just finished your method successfully. Thank you. I would like to add that there was an option to reboot into download mode after flashing with FlashFire. I didn't have to worry
about immediately holding vol. down . I think the version of FlashFire I used is a little newer. Anyway thanks again!
30th June 2015, 12:36 PM |#10  
Flag Orlando
Thanks Meter: 1

More
I will keep trying
Hi all,

I was able to go through all the steps but keep getting stuck on step 14. Odin fails at the very very end and never finishes. I have done the whole process 3 times over.

Questions:
1. When picking the .tar in step 7, I am selecting the largest file of lollipop. I believe it is an AP file about 2.2 Gigabytes. This is the right one to select in step 7??

2. On step 10 when it ask you to Create New Archive, do i check ALL the boxes?? Nothing is checked by default when i press the download sign in step 9.

Other than these two things, everything else seems to work nicely. I did also notice that when Flash Fire runs and writes the system, wipe is set to OFF. I figured it was like that on purpose but just saying.

Thanks in advance,

John
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread