FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[INDEX] AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note 3 All-In-One Resource Thread!

783 posts
Thanks Meter: 631

By tropazr, Senior Member on 9th April 2014, 02:09 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Welcome!
Welcome to the XDA Forums for the AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note 3!

If you are new here, please take a minute to get yourself acquainted with the below information. I know it is a lot to read but you will be a more productive member of the forums for doing so!

The OP will cover the basics! You will find everything you need to learn to get the most out of your AT&T Galaxy Note 3 here!

The second post of this thread aims to provide current links for root methods, recovery options, stock firmwares, radios, themes & apps, mods, & misc. guides.

Got it? Good! Let’s get started!

Just a little housekeeping..!
The XDA Forums are a great place to learn more about your device and how to get the most out of it. Anyone who is willing to learn will be accepted here as long as you are polite!

Many of the forum's threads have multiple pages of information. You are not expected to know everything but if you are having an issue or you just have a question please try and use the "search" function before creating a new post/comment! Oftentimes, the information you are looking for has been covered multiple times. This helps to keep the discussion focused on development which is what XDA is all about!

If you have to ask a question or you just bricked your device (oops!)...try posting in the Q&A, Help & Troubleshooting subsection! Many people will be willing to help you out!
If you just want to chat...try posting in the General subsection...this is the place for general discussion, tips & tricks, etc!

What does “root” mean?
Android rooting is the process of allowing users of smartphones, tablets, and other devices running the Android operating system to attain privileged control (also known as "root access") within Android's sub-system.

Rooting is often performed with the goal of overcoming limitations that carriers and hardware manufacturers put on some devices, resulting in the ability to alter or replace system applications and settings, run specialized apps that require administrator-level permissions, or perform other operations that are otherwise inaccessible to a normal Android user.

On Android, rooting can also facilitate the complete removal and replacement of the device's operating system (“flashing” Custom ROMs) usually with a more recent or modified release of the devices factory operating system.

Root sounds awesome! How do I root my Note 3?
Towelroot by @geohot is here to save the day! Click here for step by step instructions & then go donate to @geohot so he keeps up his Android Development! CLICK HERE TO GET TOWELROOT!

What is Safestrap Recovery & what does it allow me to do?
After rooting, you will more than likely want to install Safestrap Recovery.

Created by @Hashcode, Safestrap Recovery is a custom version of TWRP/CWM Recovery that has been modified to run on bootloader locked devices like the AT&T Note 3.

Safestrap Recovery is essential if you’d like to flash Custom ROM’s or mod’s to your device. For more information on how to install, update, & use Safestrap please visit the original thread by using the link in the Links section below.

I was able to root my AT&T Note 3 & install Safestrap Recovery…how do I “flash” a Custom ROM or Mod?
The AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note 3 ships with a locked bootloader which means that as of right now AT&T Note 3 users only have the ability to flash Custom ROM's & Mod’s using @Hashcode’s Safestrap recovery – KERNEL FLASHING is not possible!

Prerequisites
  • Root
  • Safestrap Recovery
  • Your favorite Custom ROM.zip

Step by step instructions on how to flash a Custom ROM on 4.3.X. Jelly Bean
  • Reboot your phone.
  • After rebooting you will see the Safestrap Recovery splash screen.
  • Select the “recovery” option from the Safestrap splash screen & enter the Safestrap Recovery menu.
  • Once in the menu choose the “wipe” option and FACTORY RESTORE your device if flashing a Custom ROM! If you are just installing a mod - wiping cache should suffice.
  • *NOTE! If you are experiencing an issue that no one else is reporting…chances are you did not wipe data/cache! While inconvenient, “clean flashing” is ALWAYS recommended!!!
  • On 4.3.X “ROM Slots” are supported in Safestrap (click here to read about ROM Slots!) so select which Slot you would like to flash your custom ROM to.
  • Once you have selected which ROM Slot you would like to flash to proceed to the “install” menu in Safestrap.
  • Navigate to the location of the ROM or Mod you would like to flash.
  • Follow on screen instructions to flash the ROM or Mod.
  • Optionally wipe cache upon successful flash!
  • Reboot.
  • Profit!

Step by step instructions on how to flash a Custom ROM on 4.4.X. KitKat
  • Safestrap has now been updated for KitKat! The procedure to flash a ROM on KitKat is the same as flashing a ROM on Jelly Bean so follow the steps above! *Note: ROM Slots are currently a work in progress so you will have to flash KitKat ROMs to your stock slot. While inconvenient this is really no different from TWRP/CWM.

Now that I know how to flash a Custom ROM – what types of ROMs are compatible?
Because of the locked bootloader on the AT&T Note 3, only Samsung TouchWiz based Custom ROM’s are able to be flashed to the AT&T Note 3. These ROMs can be found under the Android Development subheading of the AT&T Note 3 XDA Forums.

Custom ROMs based on the Android Open Source Project (AOSP) such as CyanogenMOD, Paranoid Android, Omni, etc cannot be flashed. This is due to the inability to flash custom kernels using Safestrap Recovery.

I am ready to update from Jelly Bean to KitKat! How do I do this safely?
This guide should contain everything you need to know! CLICK HERE!

Ohhh noooo...I think I just bricked my Note 3! Fix it for me...please!
Don't worry!

If you can get into Download Mode (& you probably can) you can get it fixed thanks to @evilpotatoman's awesome MJ5 restore method!!! It may seem intimidating at first but as long as you read the instructions, read them again, and then follow the instructions exactly your Note 3 will be back to new! If you have any problems..just ask in the Q&A thread...there are many members willing to help you!

Ready to fix your "bricked" AT&T Note 3 - CLICK HERE!

What is Samsung KNOX & do I need to worry about it?
Samsung KNOX is an enterprise security platform that separates your personal information from your business or corporate information. Samsung KNOX is part of Samsung's "Samsung for Enterprise" (SAFE) offerings for smartphones and tablets.

TLDR; Your IT Department likes Knox but there isn’t really a reason for you to like Knox. Most Custom ROM’s have already removed Knox for you so it’s not something that you need to be worried about unless you are running factory stock.

What does it mean when other members ask if something will “trip Knox”?
One of the “features” of Knox is the “Knox Warranty” counter. This counter will trip if you try and tamper with the system beyond Root/Safestrap/Flashing Roms & mods/etc.

By tripping this counter it allows Samsung to deny warranty claims for bricked devices….that’s pretty much it.

How can I tell if I have tripped the Knox Flag?
You can check your Knox Flag Counter by booting into Download Mode (with device off – hold Power + Vol Down + Home).
  • KNOX WARRANTY VOID: 0x0 - you have not tripped Knox...you're doing great!
  • KNOX WARRANTY VOID: 0x1 - you HAVE tripped Knox...commence the freak out!

THIS THREAD IS A WORK IN PROGRESS!!!
I will continue to update & format as we go! If you see anything that is incorrect or you think you can improve upon drop me a PM!
The Following 54 Users Say Thank You to tropazr For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift tropazr Ad-Free

9th April 2014, 02:09 AM |#2  
OP Senior Member
Flag Columbus

More
Essential Links for the AT&T Galaxy Note 3!
Root Methods
Recovery Options
Custom ROMs

Jelly Bean Custom ROMs
KitKat Custom ROMs
Stock Firmwares

Jelly Bean
  • Coming soon!

KitKat
KitKat 4.4.2 NC2 (thanks @jbond23!!!)
Radios
Themes & Apps
  • Coming soon!

Mod's
Guides, Tutorials, Misc.
The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to tropazr For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift tropazr Ad-Free
9th April 2014, 02:10 AM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Columbus

More
Attention Devs/Users Wanting to Post Work In All-In-One Thread
If you have something you would like me to include that you do not see in the posts above please send me a PM so I can get it added! Anything will be accepted as long as it is beneficial to the community!

Thanks for your help everyone!
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to tropazr For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift tropazr Ad-Free
9th April 2014, 08:11 AM |#4  
Flag 127.0.0.1
Thanks Meter: 372

Donate to Me
More
Cool dude, I really like the stock section although it's coming soon lol. Maybe you can link Walter whites modem files in there under radios. He has them all.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
9th April 2014, 09:40 AM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Columbus

More
That's the plan! OP should be done by lunch today....lots of info to get in these posts. Sorry for the delay!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tropazr For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift tropazr Ad-Free
9th April 2014, 10:01 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
First of all, thanks for this thread. It is very helpful.

Second, I don't understand something. How would I load Safestrap once I update to Kit Kat if there is not root option for Kit Kat yet? Don't I have to be rooted to load Safestrap? The only thing I can think of is that I would have to side load the Kit Kat update and root that.
10th April 2014, 12:24 AM |#7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Columbus

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvan0

First of all, thanks for this thread. It is very helpful.

Second, I don't understand something. How would I load Safestrap once I update to Kit Kat if there is not root option for Kit Kat yet? Don't I have to be rooted to load Safestrap? The only thing I can think of is that I would have to side load the Kit Kat update and root that.

Thanks for commenting. You say "once I update to Kit Kat" so I assume you are still on Jelly Bean. If you are still on Jelly Bean and have root & Safestrap installed it is easy to make the leap from rooted Jelly Bean to rooted Kit Kat. The only way you cannot get rooted Kit Kat is if your phone shipped with it stock (you purchased it very recently). I need to ask permission from a member to post his method of going from Jelly Bean to Kit Kat. If you are still on Jelly Bean hang tight for a few hours until I can get the OP updated with the instructions.

EDIT:
The OP has been updated with instructions on how to upgrade from Jelly Bean to KitKat.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tropazr For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift tropazr Ad-Free
10th April 2014, 03:29 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropazr

Thanks for commenting. You say "once I update to Kit Kat" so I assume you are still on Jelly Bean. If you are still on Jelly Bean and have root & Safestrap installed it is easy to make the leap from rooted Jelly Bean to rooted Kit Kat. The only way you cannot get rooted Kit Kat is if your phone shipped with it stock (you purchased it very recently). I need to ask permission from a member to post his method of going from Jelly Bean to Kit Kat. If you are still on Jelly Bean hang tight for a few hours until I can get the OP updated with the instructions.

EDIT:
The OP has been updated with instructions on how to upgrade from Jelly Bean to KitKat.

Ok. I knew that was a possibility, but I was missing a step or two. Yes, I am still on stock Jelly Bean, rooted but no Safestrap yet. Thanks a lot for your help and for adding the extra info to the OP. It really helped clear things up. The appropriate Thanks buttons will be hit.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tvan0 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift tvan0 Ad-Free
17th April 2014, 05:43 AM |#9  
Flag Phoenix
Thanks Meter: 52

More
Stock KitKat
Any idea where I can find stock kitkat to use with odin? Thx
The Following User Says Thank You to kevinniven For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift kevinniven Ad-Free
17th April 2014, 08:53 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 19

More
Thumbs up
What a sexy thread, thank you!
17th April 2014, 11:43 AM |#11  
OP Senior Member
Flag Columbus

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinniven

Any idea where I can find stock kitkat to use with odin? Thx

That is why I use UrDroid with this l...it is a rooted stock deKnoxed rom.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)