Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,962 Members 40,206 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Official Stupid Questions Thread - No Question too Stupid

Tip us?

Agent
Old
(Last edited by Agent; 1st April 2014 at 02:55 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 350

DONATE TO ME
Default Official Stupid Questions Thread - No Question too Stupid

Here you can post any questions you think you will get yelled at or criticized for because you don't know the answer or you didn't search hard enough. xBeerdroiDx had a great idea when he posted this over in the S4 forums.

Ask any question you wish, the only stupid question is the one that's been answered 150,000 times. Just kidding, ask whatever you want as long as it's Note 3 or AT&T related. I'll even go with Samsung related.

Forum Rules: MUST BE FOLLOWED

If somebody helped you don't be afraid to hit the "Thanks" button.
Don't forget to rate the thread if you found it helpful!

Any flaming will be reported!

I'm going to add a spot on the OP for helpful members so they can be recognized in someway for helping other members, and give them a spot for credit in the future if they want to become a recognized contributor or anything like that. If you think you should be recognized in the OP then PM me. As the thread gets bigger I won't be able to find all the post by people just by reading page by page. I'll add people as they continually help on this thread as well.

Update: If you feel that you are a contributor on this thread, please PM me and I will review your post and add you here.

Contributors:
Solarenemy68
ajster1989
jerrycoffman45
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Agent For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

TJCacher
Old
Thanks Meter 43
I'll give it a shot...

Coming from a Note 2, and I rely a lot on Google Now (aka Voice Search).

I was able to set up my Note 2 to launch Google Now by long pressing the menu key.

If there's a way to do this on the Note 3, I haven't found it yet. Anyone know a way? (For now, my workaround is to long press the home key to bring up task switcher and press the globe icon to launch Google Now.)

Question 2:

I used Internet Browser (had manually installed flash) on my Note 2. The version on my Note 2 had a "Labs" menu where you could turn on a circular floating menu feature to operate most browser functions by just sliding your thumb in from a screen edge. I got really fast with that and feel very inefficient in the browser without it.

My Note 3's Internet Browser app doesn't appear to have a "Labs" menu at all. Any secret way anyone knows to get that menu (or the floating circular thumb menu feature) back on this apparently newer version of the app? I know loading an older version of the app is probably out of the question without root.

Thanks for reading my stupid questions.

Despite these minor quibbles, I'm really loving this faster, brighter phone and its (in my opinion) vastly better camera.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk 2
The Following User Says Thank You to TJCacher For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Bataga
Old
Thanks Meter 695
When will we have root?
Do you think the bootloader will get unlocked?
What's a bootloader?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
"Let Freedom Ring With A Shotgun Blast!" \m/ \m/
Note N900T
i337 Gee Es Four
NexuS 10
Note i717
Note N900A w/ VIPER AUDIO!! (mp3 player )

Sir_Zuul
Old
Thanks Meter 2
I'm relatively new to Android. I had a few Kindle Fires and an S2 Skyrocket but didn't do anything much with either. After having an iPhone 5s and being underwhelmed, I switched to the Note 3 and love it. My problem is my battery life has been poor. The battery life was supposed to be awesome and I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong.

Here's what I do now.

-Keep screen as dim as it will go
-Have Juice Defender that switches WiFi and data off/on depending on what's being used
-Bluetooth & GPS off unless I need them
-Auto-Sync is off and I have data restriction on
-I periodically go into the running apps and stop what's useless to me (Games, Samsung Apps etc.)

I may be overreacting, but I heard this battery is great and it's going down fast by just web browsing. Is there anything I'm missing being new to Android and all? Thanks.

seanu13
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Have the pen button gestures from the note 2 been removed from the note 3? I miss the one for going home.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk 4

inmotion
Old
(Last edited by inmotion; 5th October 2013 at 09:36 PM.)
Thanks Meter 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Zuul View Post
I'm relatively new to Android. I had a few Kindle Fires and an S2 Skyrocket but didn't do anything much with either. After having an iPhone 5s and being underwhelmed, I switched to the Note 3 and love it. My problem is my battery life has been poor. The battery life was supposed to be awesome and I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong.

Here's what I do now.

-Keep screen as dim as it will go
-Have Juice Defender that switches WiFi and data off/on depending on what's being used
-Bluetooth & GPS off unless I need them
-Auto-Sync is off and I have data restriction on
-I periodically go into the running apps and stop what's useless to me (Games, Samsung Apps etc.)

I may be overreacting, but I heard this battery is great and it's going down fast by just web browsing. Is there anything I'm missing being new to Android and all? Thanks.
Check and make sure the wifi scanning for apps is off

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using xda app-developers app

Sir_Zuul
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Default BusioV can

Quote:
Originally Posted by inmotion View Post

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try that out.

ekerbuddyeker
Old
Thanks Meter 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJCacher View Post
I'll give it a shot...

Coming from a Note 2, and I rely a lot on Google Now (aka Voice Search).

I was able to set up my Note 2 to launch Google Now by long pressing the menu key.

If there's a way to do this on the Note 3, I haven't found it yet. Anyone know a way? (For now, my workaround is to long press the home key to bring up task switcher and press the globe icon to launch Google Now.)

Question 2:

I used Internet Browser (had manually installed flash) on my Note 2. The version on my Note 2 had a "Labs" menu where you could turn on a circular floating menu feature to operate most browser functions by just sliding your thumb in from a screen edge. I got really fast with that and feel very inefficient in the browser without it.

My Note 3's Internet Browser app doesn't appear to have a "Labs" menu at all. Any secret way anyone knows to get that menu (or the floating circular thumb menu feature) back on this apparently newer version of the app? I know loading an older version of the app is probably out of the question without root.

Thanks for reading my stupid questions.

Despite these minor quibbles, I'm really loving this faster, brighter phone and its (in my opinion) vastly better camera.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk 2
On Q3. Google updated maps and removed labs. Really pissed me off becuase I used the labs stuff. I actually think the newest version is worse than the desert version. Does that seem to be a way to add it back.

Sent from my SM-N900T using xda app-developers app

Agent
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 350

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by inmotion View Post

That's a new feature on the Note 3 isn't it? I don't recall seeing it anywhere else.

inmotion
Old
Thanks Meter 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by agent929 View Post
That's a new feature on the Note 3 isn't it? I don't recall seeing it anywhere else.
I don't remember seeing it on my s4 but honestly I didn't dig through it as much as I am the n3