Cyngn, OnePlus, Micromax – The Legal Battle

Recently, a battle has been waging in India over the rights to distribute the commercial … more

Lean Mean Battery Power Saving App Review

We talk a lot about battery topics here at XDA TV. We talk about everything from Power Banks to USB … more

Android 5.1 Possibly Coming February 2015

Google released Android 5.0 just over a month ago, and since then Lollipop has been trying to … more

Double Tap to Wake on the Nexus 6 Without Root

A few weeks ago, we featured an app which allowed the Nexus 6 to regain the double tap to wake … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Default,mms,supl turns into Internet+MMS

OP killacam1989

3rd September 2014, 03:18 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Florida
Thanks Meter: 31

169 posts
More
I booted up a rom and when you have to configure the apn settings. I had to originally put default,mms,supl,hipri (ect.) In the phone (which is what I would prefer) and after I restarted the phone a few times the configuration went to just Internet+MMS instead of the ones I had to type. Is there any reason why it keeps switching it? And more so..is there any way to prevent it from happining? My data speeds actually gets slower if its not on the "default,mms,supl,hipri"

Sent from my SM-N9005 using XDA Free mobile app
3rd September 2014, 06:29 AM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Houma, LA
Thanks Meter: 2,416

4,488 posts
Donate to Me
More
Those settings have nothing to do with your data speeds. They are specific to MMS.

There is no need to worry about it changing from the manual entry to that. It's the same exact settings.
4th September 2014, 01:10 AM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Florida

169 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by graydiggy

Those settings have nothing to do with your data speeds. They are specific to MMS.

There is no need to worry about it changing from the manual entry to that. It's the same exact settings.

No. There is a dramatic diffrence in speed. I tested it and the speed of pulling up a web page(s) or anything is dramatically faster. And thats because I believe the hipri setting played a factor. Which I dont think is set on the "internet+mms" settings. I have always had blazing speeds when I manually input those settings. Even on 1 bar (if I wasnt throttled already) my data speeds were significantly faster than the current setup of "internet+mms"

4th September 2014, 01:42 AM   |  #4  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Houma, LA
Thanks Meter: 2,416

4,488 posts
Donate to Me
More
I've never had speed issues on either... You could be having a different issue.
4th September 2014, 02:05 AM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 30

30 posts
More
The flags don't make your phone magically faster or make the cell tower have priority to you, or what other theories people have about it. The flags are for what the phone does with the APNs. If you have multiple APNs and one has the default flag, then the phone will use that APN. Same thing for the MMS flag, the phone will use that APN for sending MMSs and so on. I don't know what SUPL is, but HIPRI just makes the APN have higher priority over other ones. Hope that clears up anything, and any performance increases might just be placebo or because you are reconnecting to the tower when changing APNs. If AT&T really had an option to increase data speeds, wouldn't you think they would have that turned on by default to prove they have a faster network?
4th September 2014, 02:30 AM   |  #6  
OP Senior Member
Flag Florida

169 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namelesswonder

The flags don't make your phone magically faster or make the cell tower have priority to you, or what other theories people have about it. The flags are for what the phone does with the APNs. If you have multiple APNs and one has the default flag, then the phone will use that APN. Same thing for the MMS flag, the phone will use that APN for sending MMSs and so on. I don't know what SUPL is, but HIPRI just makes the APN have higher priority over other ones. Hope that clears up anything, and any performance increases might just be placebo or because you are reconnecting to the tower when changing APNs. If AT&T really had an option to increase data speeds, wouldn't you think they would have that turned on by default to prove they have a faster network?

Right....so back to the original question. Is there a way to bring back the manual settings vs the "pre-built" ones where all you got to do is tick one.

22nd September 2014, 09:31 PM   |  #7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Florida

169 posts
More
And does it have anything to do with IPV4 +IPV6 vs just IPV4?

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread