[Q] help I think I might have a rooted note 3

Tip us?

david199318
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agoattamer View Post
This site is full of helpful people who help those who try and help themselves. You need to go back to school and learn how to read and write correctly first. Then when you post again know not to insult those that try and help you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Im not insulting im just saying they werent helpful to me huge difference.

mrkhigh
Old
Thanks Meter 152
I'm reluctant to post aid on this thread due to what seemed lack of work for yourself. But why don't you YouTube some Odin note 3 videos and see how it works then reread this thread and make for you download the nc2 att Odin file and do what was suggested you to do.

Sent from my XT907 using XDA Free mobile app
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrkhigh For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

brisinger08
Old
Thanks Meter 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by 440bro View Post
Xda is a "development" site, and not a "support" site. There's more then enough info posted here to get you what you need. If you don't know how to root or use odin, do some research! No one here is required to take your hand and walk you thru the basics.
Agree 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by andygev35 View Post
Honestly, no offense, but with your very limited knowledge and experience, I would not recommend you root until you have a lot more experience with Android. I have explained very specifically how to update to 4.4.2 more than once in this thread. Just read the thread again

Sent from my AT&T Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk®
Agree 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by david199318 View Post
Yup you where a beginner once. You went thru the troubles im going thru. And honestly with my very little knowledge you still werent of much help. Very little help. If not any at all. All you did was refer me to the threads when I stated Idk how to root or what to do. But I guess you missed that part. Well its a risk I need my gps to work and if I unroot my phone isnt going to be unlocked for the carier of my choice.
@david199318 the reason you were referred to other threads is that all of this is already outlined in very detailed guides, put together by developers at least in part to help "beginners". Most people just need to be pointed in the right direction (as was done several times) in order to help themselves. Hand holding at this level is far outside the scope of the work the devs do here on xda, but since I'm not a developer and a relative beginner myself I'll give this one more shot...some of the steps below may be extraneous but I don't think that's the point.

@andygev35 @440bro @Agoattamer @mrkhigh I borrowed the links to guides and downloads from several of the posts on this thread, I apologize if I've neglected to credit anyone who has helped out...

1) Download Odin v3.09; extract to desktop.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/atta...1&d=1408157772

2) Download All-In-One NC2 install file; save to desktop.
http://bit.ly/1q98wGU

3) Boot phone into download mode by holding down Power + Home + Volume Down buttons simultaneously.

4) When the warning screen comes up press the Volume Up key to enter download mode (also known as Odin mode).

4) Plug your phone into your computer and then run Odin3 v3.09.exe which is in the folder that you extracted to your desktop in step 1.

5) In Odin, the box directly below "ID:COM" should be shaded blue and say 0:[COM3]
5.1) **If Odin does not show this then it is not recognizing that your phone is plugged in. This is probably because your computer does not have the necessary drivers installed. The drivers should start automatically installing themselves when you plug your phone in so if that is the case just wait it out until Odin sees your phone. If for some reason this does unplug your phone and install the drivers manually.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/uy...3.0-retail.zip
5.2) Pull the battery out of your phone, put it back in, turn on your phone, plug your phone into your computer, wait until you are sure that your computer recognizes your phone, unplug it, and return to step 3...
6) Click on the box that says "AP", select the NC2_HOME.tar.md5 file that you saved to your desktop in step 2.
7) Wait while Odin checks the file (it will take a few seconds), and when it's finished just click start.
8) This will take a while and your phone will reboot a couple of times, just let it do what it needs to do until Odin says "PASS!" and you are able to go through the initial setup.

You are now on stock 4.4.2 KitKat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by david199318 View Post
I have a at&t note 3 model N900A and today when I took it to best buy to update to kitkat the kind gentlemen told me my phone was rooted and that why he couldnt update it.. I looked for how to tell if the phone was rooted and someone poinred out this 'supersu' app wich I have in my phone. I need help on how to install kitkat or how to install ROMS and also what does the supersu app do? How do I use it? any help would be appriciated please be patient I am a beginer with this step by step would be appriciate it. I need to upgrade to kitkat need my gps to start working need it for work lol. Thanks to whoever directed me here and thanks to those of you who help
This is a gross oversimplification of SuperSU, but basically it controls and guards root-level access requests. Without this you have no control, which is kind of like leaving your front door open with a sign outside that says 'Welcome - no one is home and there is no security system. Enjoy!'

If you really want to root I suggest like the others that you wait until you have more experience with Android or at the least read up on what rooting is and what it actually means to have root access first.

I truly hope this is helpful enough.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to brisinger08 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

david199318
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by brisinger08 View Post
Agree 100%

Agree 100%

@david199318 the reason you were referred to other threads is that all of this is already outlined in very detailed guides, put together by developers at least in part to help "beginners". Most people just need to be pointed in the right direction (as was done several times) in order to help themselves. Hand holding at this level is far outside the scope of the work the devs do here on xda, but since I'm not a developer and a relative beginner myself I'll give this one more shot...some of the steps below may be extraneous but I don't think that's the point.

@andygev35 @440bro @Agoattamer @mrkhigh I borrowed the links to guides and downloads from several of the posts on this thread, I apologize if I've neglected to credit anyone who has helped out...

1) Download Odin v3.09; extract to desktop.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/atta...1&d=1408157772

2) Download All-In-One NC2 install file; save to desktop.
http://bit.ly/1q98wGU

3) Boot phone into download mode by holding down Power + Home + Volume Down buttons simultaneously.

4) When the warning screen comes up press the Volume Up key to enter download mode (also known as Odin mode).

4) Plug your phone into your computer and then run Odin3 v3.09.exe which is in the folder that you extracted to your desktop in step 1.

5) In Odin, the box directly below "ID:COM" should be shaded blue and say 0:[COM3]
5.1) **If Odin does not show this then it is not recognizing that your phone is plugged in. This is probably because your computer does not have the necessary drivers installed. The drivers should start automatically installing themselves when you plug your phone in so if that is the case just wait it out until Odin sees your phone. If for some reason this does unplug your phone and install the drivers manually.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/uy...3.0-retail.zip
5.2) Pull the battery out of your phone, put it back in, turn on your phone, plug your phone into your computer, wait until you are sure that your computer recognizes your phone, unplug it, and return to step 3...
6) Click on the box that says "AP", select the NC2_HOME.tar.md5 file that you saved to your desktop in step 2.
7) Wait while Odin checks the file (it will take a few seconds), and when it's finished just click start.
8) This will take a while and your phone will reboot a couple of times, just let it do what it needs to do until Odin says "PASS!" and you are able to go through the initial setup.

You are now on stock 4.4.2 KitKat.

This is a gross oversimplification of SuperSU, but basically it controls and guards root-level access requests. Without this you have no control, which is kind of like leaving your front door open with a sign outside that says 'Welcome - no one is home and there is no security system. Enjoy!'

If you really want to root I suggest like the others that you wait until you have more experience with Android or at the least read up on what rooting is and what it actually means to have root access first.

I truly hope this is helpful enough.
thank you those where perfect instructions. last question do i need to install safestrap before all of this?

mrkhigh
Old
Thanks Meter 152
No.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrkhigh For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mrkhigh
Old
Thanks Meter 152
In his defense it is an expensive device.
I usually look for the stupid questions thread then ask in there if what I'm going to do is correct

david199318
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thank you to everyone who was patient with me. I appriciate it from the bottom of my heart. Root was successful. Thank you all for having patience and helping me out.

Stryke_the_Orc
Old
Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 6,971
As already stated, XDA is a developers site, created by and for developers. The guides linked to should have been sufficient to achieve what you were trying to do, and some very helpful members were extremely patient and even provided exact steps and links.
There is an expectation of users on this site to help themselves prior to posting questions, as a matter of fact - it's Rule #1: Search before posting.
Had you done so, you'd have found the linked guides above, on your own, and could have followed those instructions (which look to be exactly the same as the instruction you received that resolved your issue).
Being that you are new to the forums, and I'm guessing Android as well, it would benefit you greatly to do a lot of reading and spend some time learning the ins and outs of your device and these forums, beginning with the Rules
Now ask yourself this, "Why am I rooting my phone if I have no idea what that means?"; I say this because there are inherent risks when using your device, especially when rooted. If the cost of your device is too much to have the device fail (brick), I honestly recommend unrooting and use it stock. It's very likely that anything you choose to do can turn your phone into a very expensive paperweight, and even more likely that you'll experience bootloops and performance issues, and we'll be seeing you back here again asking for support.
Understand that anything you use will have a guide accompanying it. ROMs have very detailed instructions on flashing, fixes, workarounds and add-ons. It is expected that you can read and understand these guides, follow those directions and provide feedback as necessary. None of which appears to have been the case here. I suggest you browse the devices Q&A forum, the general forum and the Android University forums to familiarize yourself with this platform, your device and see if any questions you have now, or may have, have already been answered.
Due to the lack of respect for those that helped initially and the beginnings of flame wars and trolling, this thread is now closed.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Stryke_the_Orc For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
THREAD CLOSED
Subscribe