Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,805,594 Members 39,010 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

How-To Adblock Without Rooting

Tip us?

djlech
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Talking How-To Adblock Without Rooting

As I have new phone and is not rooted yet, I had a look around and I was able to find this information:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2726443

I gave it a go and it works on my n7505 without any issues, at present tested only on mobile network (Optus) tonight will have a look on a wifi.

Quote:
I didn't see this readily available and with many people not wanting to root and trip their Knox counter, I thought I'd show you how to get adblocking without root. This will work on both wifi and mobile data.

--First step would be to install Adblock Plus APK. I got mine from: https://adblockplus.org/en/android-install

--After installing, run the app once and activate filtering. It should now be blocking all ads on wifi only. To enable adblock on mobile data you need to add a proxy to your APN.

--Go to system settings>network connections>more networks>mobile networks>access point names. What you need to do now is go to you default APN and copy down all the settings. We only do this because you cannot edit the original APN it seems. Now create a new APN and enter in the copied settings. The only additional settings you add to add to the new APN is:

---Proxy: localhost

---Port: 2020

Make sure you set the new APN you created as active and adblocking should be working! I have done this on my T-mobile S5. Hopefully some of you will find this useful.
The Following User Says Thank You to djlech For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

peRFect!
Old
Thanks Meter 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by djlech View Post
As I have new phone and is not rooted yet, I had a look around and I was able to find this information:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2726443

I gave it a go and it works on my n7505 without any issues, at present tested only on mobile network (Optus) tonight will have a look on a wifi.
It works but slows down the Internet speed!

PHONES-
Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Neo (running Stock 4.3 rooted)
Samsung Galaxy S2 (running Spirit Rom)
TABLET-
Apple iPad Air (running iOS 7 with Jailbreak)
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 3G (running Stock 4.1.2 rooted)

edy.xda
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Looks fine.

But in case you root your device try MinMinGaurd from Xposed Framework, nails every add-hogging app like a charm.

There is also one to disable adds from Youtube app, its last in the download section of Xposed Framework. Those 15 second adds before every Video are passe now

djlech
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
I have no issues with speed. Adblock works only on mobile networks not WiFi.

On my ex rooted S2 I was using Adfree from bigtincan and it was awesome. Right now I'm so no used to ads.

Sent from my SM-N7505 using XDA Free mobile app

agafonovm
Old
(Last edited by agafonovm; 11th August 2014 at 10:20 AM.)
Thanks Meter 0
When I use the Adblock some sites don't work correctly. For ex., I get a "bad request" error or some search settings don't apply. When I use no proxy all is okay.
Useless app

---------- Post added at 09:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:36 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by djlech View Post
I have no issues with speed. Adblock works only on mobile networks not WiFi.

On my ex rooted S2 I was using Adfree from bigtincan and it was awesome. Right now I'm so no used to ads.

Sent from my SM-N7505 using XDA Free mobile app
It does work on wifi.

sgatechwork
Old
Thanks Meter 320
Use uc browser
If I helped you,please press "THANKS BUTTON"....

moss20
Old
Thanks Meter 89
tried adblocker on another device and it worked but on my n3n seems to not work

SAMSUNG Galaxy Note 3 neo