Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,736,395 Members 48,351 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Whatsapp "Failed out of memory please try again later" {FIX{

Tip us?

Zubair1024
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 60
Default Whatsapp "Failed out of memory please try again later" {FIX{

It is common to get the error “failed out of memory please try again later” when trying to send pictures on Whatsapp or when you are trying to change your Whatsapp profile picture. This is basically a memory problem. It’s not as a result of not having enough memory, this error can happen even when you have Gigabytes worth of memory on your smartphone and SD card.

I have come across a lot of forums where this problem was discussed and people were wrongly advised to reset their phones and format their SD cards. This may quite solve your problem but you may end up losing a lot of other important data in the process.

The truth is that you don’t have to reset your phone or format your SD card to solve the Whatsapp failed out of memory please try again later error. I will advise you on several methods you could use to solve the Whatsapp failed out of memory please try again later error without having to reset your smartphone or format your SD card

Method 1: Restart your phone

Sometimes this error occurs as a result of your phone not being able to synchronize data with the SD card. When your phone has been on for a long while, there is a possibility some processes may have become idle or even dead, some other programs may have taken over the memory space for such idle or dead processes making it difficult for them to pick up memory when you try to use their applications.

So restarting your phone will simply refresh all the running processes on your device, kill those you don’t need on startup and free memory for any application you want to run. So the first method to solving the Whatsapp failed out of memory please try again later error is to restart your phone.

Method 2: Unmount your SD card:

Since the Whatsapp program folder is usually in the SD card (path: /mnt/sdcard), it will be wise to unmount the SD card, waiting for some few seconds or minutes and reinserting it into the device. That way you would’ve stopped all the processes that depends on the SD card such as the Whatsapp giving you the error.

When you mount the SD card again, the processes will be refreshed and memory will become available again for your apps such as the Whatsapp and you can be able to send images or change display images without encountering the “failed out of memory please try again later error”.

Method 3: Reduce Picture Resolutions

Another way to avoid the Whatsapp failed out of memory please try again later error is to reduce the picture resolution. Most smartphones these days come with very high picture resolutions which make the pictures very clear and nice when taken but it also make the picture sizes quite high.

A 5MP camera with a 1952 x 2592 resolution can take pictures of almost 1MB each. Reducing the image resolution will reduce the image quality and size as well. You can reduce the camera resolution by going to your camera settings under resolutions and change it to a lower resolution.

Method 4: Delete Pictures from the Whatsapp folder

As you send and receive images on Whatsapp, and even when you view your friend’s profile pictures, they are automatically stored on your Whatsapp media and profile pictures folders. Use a file explorer such as ES File Explorer to navigate to /mnt/sdcard/Whatsapp/Media/Whatsapp Images and delete the images in that folder. You should also do same for the Whatsapp video, Whatsapp Voice Notes, Whatsapp Audio folders.

Clearing these folders will free up memory for your Whatsapp app to run smoothly without failed out of memory please try again later errors.

I hope I have been able to give you a working solution to solving the Whatsapp failed out of memory please try again later error. If one method does not work for you try the other, one will most definitely work for you.
Samsung Note 3 Neo N7505 User
Samsung Note II N7100 User

http://facebook.com/zoobair

http://github.com/zubair1024

http://instagram.com/zubair1024
The Following User Says Thank You to Zubair1024 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

peRFect!
Old
Thanks Meter 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zubair1024 View Post
It is common to get the error “failed out of memory please try again later” when trying to send pictures on Whatsapp or when you are trying to change your Whatsapp profile picture. This is basically a memory problem. It’s not as a result of not having enough memory, this error can happen even when you have Gigabytes worth of memory on your smartphone and SD card.

I have come across a lot of forums where this problem was discussed and people were wrongly advised to reset their phones and format their SD cards. This may quite solve your problem but you may end up losing a lot of other important data in the process.

The truth is that you don’t have to reset your phone or format your SD card to solve the Whatsapp failed out of memory please try again later error. I will advise you on several methods you could use to solve the Whatsapp failed out of memory please try again later error without having to reset your smartphone or format your SD card

Method 1: Restart your phone

Sometimes this error occurs as a result of your phone not being able to synchronize data with the SD card. When your phone has been on for a long while, there is a possibility some processes may have become idle or even dead, some other programs may have taken over the memory space for such idle or dead processes making it difficult for them to pick up memory when you try to use their applications.

So restarting your phone will simply refresh all the running processes on your device, kill those you don’t need on startup and free memory for any application you want to run. So the first method to solving the Whatsapp failed out of memory please try again later error is to restart your phone.

Method 2: Unmount your SD card:

Since the Whatsapp program folder is usually in the SD card (path: /mnt/sdcard), it will be wise to unmount the SD card, waiting for some few seconds or minutes and reinserting it into the device. That way you would’ve stopped all the processes that depends on the SD card such as the Whatsapp giving you the error.

When you mount the SD card again, the processes will be refreshed and memory will become available again for your apps such as the Whatsapp and you can be able to send images or change display images without encountering the “failed out of memory please try again later error”.

Method 3: Reduce Picture Resolutions

Another way to avoid the Whatsapp failed out of memory please try again later error is to reduce the picture resolution. Most smartphones these days come with very high picture resolutions which make the pictures very clear and nice when taken but it also make the picture sizes quite high.

A 5MP camera with a 1952 x 2592 resolution can take pictures of almost 1MB each. Reducing the image resolution will reduce the image quality and size as well. You can reduce the camera resolution by going to your camera settings under resolutions and change it to a lower resolution.

Method 4: Delete Pictures from the Whatsapp folder

As you send and receive images on Whatsapp, and even when you view your friend’s profile pictures, they are automatically stored on your Whatsapp media and profile pictures folders. Use a file explorer such as ES File Explorer to navigate to /mnt/sdcard/Whatsapp/Media/Whatsapp Images and delete the images in that folder. You should also do same for the Whatsapp video, Whatsapp Voice Notes, Whatsapp Audio folders.

Clearing these folders will free up memory for your Whatsapp app to run smoothly without failed out of memory please try again later errors.

I hope I have been able to give you a working solution to solving the Whatsapp failed out of memory please try again later error. If one method does not work for you try the other, one will most definitely work for you.
For me, I simply clear the RAM from task manager and issue is solved.
Do the above mentioned methods permanently solve the problem?

PHONES-
Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Neo (running Stock 4.3 rooted)
Samsung Galaxy S2 (running Spirit Rom)
TABLET-
Apple iPad Air (running iOS 7 with Jailbreak)
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 3G (running Stock 4.1.2 rooted)

NabaKumar
Old
Thanks Meter 1
There seems to be another error in whatsapp these days starting from last couple of versions. When you try to click photo from the whatsapp chat icon, not from the top attach menu but from the bottom right icon along with the microphone icon, it always gives camera failed error. Even though the camera is working fine the error persists and I am not able to send the pic. This is really annoying. Can someone tell a fix to that?
I m running ICS 4.0.4
WhatsApp Version 2.11.294

Zubair1024
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by NabaKumar View Post
There seems to be another error in whatsapp these days starting from last couple of versions. When you try to click photo from the whatsapp chat icon, not from the top attach menu but from the bottom right icon along with the microphone icon, it always gives camera failed error. Even though the camera is working fine the error persists and I am not able to send the pic. This is really annoying. Can someone tell a fix to that?
I m running ICS 4.0.4
WhatsApp Version 2.11.294
Just a mere ram clean by stopping the apps through the task manager will solve your problem. Though it's not a permanent solution.

Sent from my SM-N7505 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

NabaKumar
Old
Thanks Meter 1
It's not an issue of RAM or memory. It's a bug in whatsapp AFAIK.

Zubair1024
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by NabaKumar View Post
It's not an issue of RAM or memory. It's a bug in whatsapp AFAIK.
It's obviously not a problem with the ram.. But kill the app and it's process and starting them again solves the problem temporarily.

Sent from my SM-N7505 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app