Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,807,223 Members 41,919 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Barometer, and temperature

Tip us?

barfingmonkey
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 13

DONATE TO ME
Default Barometer, and temperature

Whoa, I didn't know our phones did this. How cool!

monkor
Old
Thanks Meter 116
Yeah it definitely has it, but it's not advertised because of how woefully inaccurate it actually is.

barfingmonkey
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 13

DONATE TO ME
Didn't know that either, thanks!

pete4k
Old
Thanks Meter 72
Actually mine works fine. Temperature is withing 1 degree as long as I don't use my phone much, so it doesn't heat up skewing the results, barometer also seems fine, the couple times I checked at airports or from weather channel and adjusting for altitude, it was within couple mbars. At least with barometer, you can adjust it to correct value, if the error is big, where with temperature the main issue would be to keep the phone at ambient, so don't get surprised at error if you kept it in your pocket, or played game. There is also humidity sensor and I was shocked when it showed 100% humidity on a foggy evening, as it should, so that seems to be working fine as well.

monkor
Old
Thanks Meter 116
I haven't had similar experiences with mine, although perhaps not using the phone could provide slightly more accurate readings. I live in a pretty humid area and have found even on the most humid of days it doesn't register properly.

Frank Westlake
Old
Thanks Meter 165
You must have newer hardware -- I don't think either my 900T or 900V have humidity and air pressure sensors.

Frank

jazzmachine
Old
Thanks Meter 74
I found a sweet app called Thermometer Plus. The reason I like it is mainly the selection of semi-transparent widgets (displaying different sensors). I have the one with temp and humidity (set to update every 5 mins I think) on my main home screen so I use that to adjust my AC, etc. accordingly, mainly to keep humidity in a reasonable range.

Galaxy Sensors is also cool to see all of the device's sensors. It also has a widget, but it only displays the temp.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jazzmachine For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

pete4k
Old
Thanks Meter 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Westlake View Post
You must have newer hardware -- I don't think either my 900T or 900V have humidity and air pressure sensors.

Frank
I bought mine in November so it's not that new, I think all N3 have it, but they don't show normally.
If you check Antutu benchmark under hardware, it should show all sensors.
Androsensor program will show all sensors readings, or type *#0*# on stock dialer, then click sensor, should show all the hardware and if it's working.
The Following User Says Thank You to pete4k For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

monkor
Old
Thanks Meter 116
Pete is correct, all variants have it.

The Following User Says Thank You to monkor For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]